Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"A young man acting like a young man" is not something that is in any way acceptable for an elite athlete which he allegedly is - being paid millions to be extremely professional in both his work life and his private life, in order to be elite. The same applies to all elite sportspeople of any age.

Fans pay ludicrous prices to watch football in the form of tickets, TV, pubs or whatever, so they absolutely have every right to be "precious" when they demonstrate extremely poor behaviour.

If EVERY 21 year old footballer behaved like he does, then maybe, just maybe, we should be giving him the benefit of the doubt. But they don't. There are countless players his age and younger, including at this club, that behave in a considerably more professional manner which is the absolute MINIMUM that should be expected of them, given how fortunate they are, and how well they are being paid to live the lives of an elite athlete.

I hope the club are giving him more support than he is getting on here.

Providing that the rumours in the tabloids are true of course.

Having once been young and made a fair few mistakes, I am happy to cut the boy some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt.

You carry on lighting the torches and sharpening your pitchfork or twitching your curtains and tutting though, if it makes you feel better then you are well within your rights. Given that you practically pay the lads wages.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hope the club are giving him more support than he is getting on here.

Providing that the rumours in the tabloids are true of course.

Having once been young and made a fair few mistakes, I am happy to cut the boy some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt.

You carry on lighting the torches and sharpening your pitchfork or twitching your curtains and tutting though, if it makes you feel better then you are well within your rights. Given that you practically pay the lads wages.

I imagine the club are tearing their hair out over him…….it’ll be DESPITE the support he’s getting, not due to a lack of it. He’ll already have mentors, psychologists and others advising him and looking out for him. Oh, and Duffy presumably :mad:

If he’d had a great season on the pitch no-one would be overly bothered (‘good old Aaron - haha - see he has been up to no good again, what a lad eh……..’) but his lack of progress on the pitch allows people to criticise his off-field behaviour because a natural link will be drawn between the two.

He’s got a pivotal season ahead…..really hope it works out for him (and us)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"A young man acting like a young man" is not something that is in any way acceptable for an elite athlete which he allegedly is - being paid millions to be extremely professional in both his work life and his private life, in order to be elite. The same applies to all elite sportspeople of any age.

Fans pay ludicrous prices to watch football in the form of tickets, TV, pubs or whatever, so they absolutely have every right to be "precious" when they demonstrate extremely poor behaviour.

If EVERY 21 year old footballer behaved like he does, then maybe, just maybe, we should be giving him the benefit of the doubt. But they don't. There are countless players his age and younger, including at this club, that behave in a considerably more professional manner which is the absolute MINIMUM that should be expected of them, given how fortunate they are, and how well they are being paid to live the lives of an elite athlete.

1. He is human first, "elite athlete" second.

2. No one is forcing you to pay anything. The fact that you pay taxes doesnt mean that everyone living in a society where taxes are used to pay healthcare and a lot of other things need to be perfect human beings. You paying money for entertainment doesnt give you some sort of justified right to bash the blokes that are supposed to provide the entertainment.

3. You dont know how all footballers, including Aaron Connolly, behaves. You read tabloids and watch Instagram pictures and that is what shapes your perception of reality.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I imagine the club are tearing their hair out over him…….it’ll be DESPITE the support he’s getting, not due to a lack of it. He’ll already have mentors, psychologists and others advising him and looking out for him. Oh, and Duffy presumably :mad:

If he’d had a great season on the pitch no-one would be overly bothered (‘good old Aaron - haha - see he has been up to no good again, what a lad eh……..’) but his lack of progress on the pitch allows people to criticise his off-field behaviour because a natural link will be drawn between the two.

He’s got a pivotal season ahead…..really hope it works out for him (and us)

Legally allowed yes. Morally its of course completely wrong to judge someone based on what you read in tabloids and how you percieve ones photos in social media, none of which portray reality. If I would make assumptions based on social media I'd say that all my friends are MDMA 24/7 when in reality dozens of them eat antidepressives to get out of bed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Lamptey, Jenks, Băluţa for a start...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Legally allowed yes. Morally its of course completely wrong to judge someone based on what you read in tabloids and how you percieve ones photos in social media, none of which portray reality. If I would make assumptions based on social media I'd say that all my friends are MDMA 24/7 when in reality dozens of them eat antidepressives to get out of bed.

Yes…..more ‘causes people to’ rather than ‘allows’ perhaps if you want to be pedantic. For a % of our fan base, he hasn’t produced anywhere near enough on the field for them to accept he can be even associated with so many issues off it. Whilst ‘none’ might portray reality, it’s not like there’s a single alleged incident - there is a fairly constant flow of negative news (and bad haircuts).

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

And there are players much older who are behaving like he does and worse;

'Kyle Walker hosted sex party with two hookers just a day before urging fans to ‘stay at home’ for coronavirus lockdown'
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11329263/kyle-walker-sex-party-coronavirus-lockdown-hookers-man-city/

'Jack Grealish banned from driving for nine months and fined after pleading guilty to careless driving'
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-grealish-driving-ban-fine-news-b1774208.html

'Three Leicester players dropped for West Ham defeat due to COVID-19 breach'
https://theathletic.com/news/leicester-maddison-perez-choudhury-coronavirus/HkBZzvgJgtux

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Other than unquoted, unsubstantiated tabloid toot, how is he behaving?

Someone posted a video allegedly about Connolly and his ex is off to Love Island. Yes he had a covid breach (as did England's great white hope Phil Foden) and I'm in no way condoning that, but the "behaviour" comment is all conclusions being drawn with absolutely no actual facts behind it.

If his attitude is a problem he won't be here next season but, I'll be honest, I don't see him in training or around the club and I have no clue what he actually does in his personal life either so I'm not going to sit here like some beacon of moral integrity telling someone to live their lives differently when I have no clue how they're doing it in the first place.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Other than unquoted, unsubstantiated tabloid toot, how is he behaving?

Someone posted a video allegedly about Connolly and his ex is off to Love Island. Yes he had a covid breach (as did England's great white hope Phil Foden) and I'm in no way condoning that, but the "behaviour" comment is all conclusions being drawn with absolutely no actual facts behind it.

If his attitude is a problem he won't be here next season but, I'll be honest, I don't see him in training or around the club and I have no clue what he actually does in his personal life either so I'm not going to sit here like some beacon of moral integrity telling someone to live their lives differently when I have no clue how they're doing it in the first place.

100% this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

'Kyle Walker hosted sex party with two hookers just a day before urging fans to ‘stay at home’ for coronavirus lockdown'
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11329263/kyle-walker-sex-party-coronavirus-lockdown-hookers-man-city/

'Jack Grealish banned from driving for nine months and fined after pleading guilty to careless driving'
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-grealish-driving-ban-fine-news-b1774208.html

https://theathletic.com/news/leicester-maddison-perez-choudhury-coronavirus/HkBZzvgJgtux
They are all another club's problem. I hope none of them ever sign for the albion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In other news today, Lys Mousset is banned for driving for 6 months and fines £5,000 after crashing his £350,000 Lamborghini into parked cars whilst driving at speed on the wrong side of a 30 mph road.

Mousset was already on 9 points for speeding offences when the incident occurred.

Footballers - too much money, too much fame, not enough brains.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
What are AC’s confirmed/corroborated misdemeanours? My kids see him and other younger Albion players around town but they’ve never reported anything particularly about any of them apart from “Saw x in x last night.”

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Many a good player been ruined by an otherwise nondescript perma tanned plastic using a players talents to enrich herself. It's a shame he can't see it.

If he bins her off and he gets a cuddle and supportive words from the likes of Bruno & Dunky, and he knuckles down to focussing on his football, I don't think all is lost; he could still have a good career in the game (although whether he ever gets to be a regular EPL starter remains to be seen). I really hope he does.
He did bin her off, by cheating on her, ny breaking the covid bubble. She isn't his girlfriend anymore, so has no say in what she does.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
In other news today, Lys Mousset is banned for driving for 6 months and fines £5,000 after crashing his £350,000 Lamborghini into parked cars whilst driving at speed on the wrong side of a 30 mph road.

Mousset was already on 9 points for speeding offences when the incident occurred.

Footballers - too much money, too much fame, not enough brains.

Indeed. In the bigger picture of footballers gone astray, Connolly's antics are small beer compared to the likes of Adam Johnson, Lee Hughes, Joey Barton, plus others who've got into lesser scraps with the law. Regardless, Connolly needs to get his act together before he upgrades to something more serious. What you say is very true, with most modern footballers earning far more in a week than what I ever earned in a year. At the other end of the scale, others are 100% model professionals who have conducted themselves faultlessly off the pitch. They rarely get mentioned as it's usually the dicks who are good tabloid fodder that get all the headlines.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Football's a mercenary business, produce the goods on the pitch and you'll be be forgiven almost anything.

Connolly just needs to do the business, then he can **** about all he likes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Indeed. In the bigger picture of footballers gone astray, Connolly's antics are small beer compared to the likes of Adam Johnson, Lee Hughes, Joey Barton, plus others who've got into lesser scraps with the law.

Underestimation of the century....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here