Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I people wonder why footballers are out of touch with the common fan....

I guess this is just another generation and all part of that instant fame, instant wealth, social media driven look at me generation.
I feel lucky not have been in this generation and thankful I actually did stuff without taking photos every five minutes or going to a gig when everyone watched the band, and hardly a camera in sight. I do not envy youth of today, it all seems so fake, and I include Aaron in that statement, I fear he is going to blow it, just like Leon Knight. His girlfriend clearly has designs for social media and he could well be a stepping stone.

Head down Aaron, take a step back, distance yourself from bad influences, you have talent, you could possibly make it.
My advise talk to Lewis, talk to Murray, learn and move on.

I'm not a marxist and never get jealous of the wealthy, so I have no angle against Connelly being wealthy.

Personally, I think someone very much learning the trade of football, he has so much to improve on, should concentrate on that and not seek the limelight. Modern football is littered with young blokes who got very wealthy quickly, then threw their potential away with a premature "I've made it" attitude. The very best footballers on these shores and overseas didn't get there solely through talent, they dedicated their lives to the sport. Perhaps being ostentacious later on down the line, if an extrovert.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a classic case of a player that needs a move. If he doesn't move now his career could implode.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I wonder whether we'd consider loaning him abroad. Him going on loan to Forest or somewhere could just end up with exactly the same problems. Maybe he needs a move away from the bright lights of UK town centres he can strut up and down showing off his stupid clothes. There has to be a team in the lower half of the Bundesliga that would take him for a year.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Indeed.

Well, five years ago people here labelled Lewis Dunk "the new Titus Bramble" "who will never be a top player". Luckily for Aaron, people know very little. But I suppose it is fun to bash footballers and try to find every possible angle to make them look as bad as possible - probably a nice distraction from ones own failures in life. If you want to understand why society looks like it does, look no further than this thread.

You joined here in 2019 but you've been looking back at posts five years ago? :bowdown: or :mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I wonder whether we'd consider loaning him abroad. Him going on loan to Forest or somewhere could just end up with exactly the same problems. Maybe he needs a move away from the bright lights of UK town centres he can strut up and down showing off his stupid clothes. There has to be a team in the lower half of the Bundesliga that would take him for a year.

He has a euro passport, but doesn't strike me as that type of person. Scotland more likely.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's been at a crossroads since the covid busting tabloid article.

Not totally beyond redemption but he needs to make the right choices now.

No more tabloid or media circus. Behave well. Go on loan. Knuckle down. Put in the hard work.

Like Teddy Jenks stated "Let the hard work begin".

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Indeed.

Well, five years ago people here labelled Lewis Dunk "the new Titus Bramble" "who will never be a top player". Luckily for Aaron, people know very little. But I suppose it is fun to bash footballers and try to find every possible angle to make them look as bad as possible - probably a nice distraction from ones own failures in life. If you want to understand why society looks like it does, look no further than this thread.

Great detective work. Initially I was going to call bullshit so did a search and there are some classic threads about how shite Dunk is, going back a few years.

Doesn't mean that Connolly will become a good player though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Great detective work. Initially I was going to call bullshit so did a search and there are some classic threads about how shite Dunk is, going back a few years.

Doesn't mean that Connolly will become a good player though.

No it doesn't, but it does mean that perhaps it's worth supporting him rather than caning him constantly? The speed at which fans (I've stopped using "supporters" as a term as they are genuine rarities in football is seems) turn on players, young ones particularly, is remarkable.

SAC

May 21, 2014
No it doesn't, but it does mean that perhaps it's worth supporting him rather than caning him constantly? The speed at which fans (I've stopped using "supporters" as a term as they are genuine rarities in football is seems) turn on players, young ones particularly, is remarkable.

I'm not sure people have turned on him, more that people have viewed his performances and believe that at the moment he has no future at Brighton. Some believe that will never change and he needs to be offloaded, others believe he should be out on loan for a season or two to see if he matures.

His apparent off field antics are hardly helping him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

We're 'customers' thank you.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not sure people have turned on him, more that people have viewed his performances and believe that at the moment he has no future at Brighton. Some believe that will never change and he needs to be offloaded, others believe he should be out on loan for a season or two to see if he matures.

His apparent off field antics are hardly helping him.

So you're saying they have turned on him?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He probably needs a loan overseas away from the tabloid glare.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He has, of course, just updated his Insta story with the picture of him doing the cupped ears celebration.

I quite like him as a player - he caused Liverpool all kinds of problems earlier in the season. But i too think he's desperately in need of a loan to sort him out. And he needs to nuckle down.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Got no idea what I would have been like at 21 with bundles of cash and living away from home with time on my hands, I suspect that in that position I would have been shagging air hostesses, having daft haircuts, buying a flash car/house/clothes and showing off a bit. The thing with maturity is, it tends to come with age*.

* Lamptey notably excepted.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Many a good player been ruined by an otherwise nondescript perma tanned plastic using a players talents to enrich herself. It's a shame he can't see it.

If he bins her off and he gets a cuddle and supportive words from the likes of Bruno & Dunky, and he knuckles down to focussing on his football, I don't think all is lost; he could still have a good career in the game (although whether he ever gets to be a regular EPL starter remains to be seen). I really hope he does.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, Connolly has lost a LOT of confidence of our fans given the endless controversies involving him and the way he behaves.

It is not too late to win that confidence back. But he is running out of time.

He NEEDS to start acting more professionally. He needs to stay out of the public eye and focus on his football. He needs to stay off social media and encourage his partners to do the same. And above all, he needs to worker harder on his game and put in some decent performances.

After all the controversies involving him, it's beggars belief how he has the audacity to brag about his new mansion on social media. That does not say to the fans that this a player who has the right attitude - it's saying that he's acting like he's won the lottery and couldn't give two shits about the club.

All he really needs to do is start banging some goals in. All will be forgotten and forgiven.

Not sure when we all got so precious about a young man acting like a young man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here