Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would like to think he would have been "weeded out by BHA long ago if he didn't quite have it, after all he's been with us since a teenager.
No, I just think he's a young pro that believes," been there, done that" when in reality he's been nowhere and done nothing to what his true potential holds. I would have him on one last chance loan to someone like Derby County in league 1. He could learn a lot of of Rooney. Liam Rosenior is a friendly face from the past and he would have the opportunity to score a hatful of goals and get his confidence sky high and then reassess season 23/24 .It's that or be shown the door for me.

I beg to disagree, football is littered with players that didn't quite make it, and not all because of attitude, clubs, including Brighton, make mistakes. Clearly as a club paying the wages you try and make the best of things, neigh even hope things turn out well for all concerned.

I really hope I'm wrong and that Connolly goes on to score a hatfull of goals, at a decent level, and is able to metaphorically stick two fingers up to us - however, I feel at the moment it looks unlikely and he will be able to play the victim, citing the way Brighton "treated him" for his failures, without an inward glance to his own culpability!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It has probably passed you by in your vehement defence of Connolly that some of us are just very disappointed that he does not appear to be applying himself and has let himself and the club that pay his wages down. Maybe it’s an ego thing (for him, not you) but he has been a massive disappointment to this poster and it seems his career is only going one way unless his (perceived) attitude changes and he knuckles down.

No it has not passed me by that some of you have allowed tabloids to shape your perception of this player/person. He has not let the club down more than any other player who isn't good enough.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No it has not passed me by that some of you have allowed tabloids to shape your perception of this player/person. He has not let the club down more than any other player who isn't good enough.

I have family who work in Irish football, his ‘issues’ are not just restricted to the Albion.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

You're very blinkered. You've made your mind up (based somewhat on your own perceived slights in life) and then decided to support AC against the masses who you've arbitrarily decided are influenced by a (terrible) newspaper that apparently we all read (I buy it sometimes if there is a free £5 bet voucher, rip it out and dump the rest straight in the bin outside my Tesco). All views based while sitting atop a pizza box mountain with a telescope and laptop, lecturing us all about a country you've never even visited, a city you've never entered and a stadium you've never sat in. Hilario.

edit - to add, I would still like AC to succeed at the Albion, nothing better than a zero to hero story.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think he’s “good enough” just seems to think he doesn’t need work at it anymore, reminds me of the puking forward we had on loan from United. One of his youth team coaches said he stopped putting the hours in once he played a first team game at United :shrug:

Blimey. James Wilson? Clearly unwell at Brighton. Seemed very unassuming. Has subsequently gone on to have a very unassuming career. If Aaron is like Wilson maybe its just that he isn't very good :shrug:

wilson.JPG

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're very blinkered. You've made your mind up (based somewhat on your own perceived slights in life) and then decided to support AC against the masses who you've arbitrarily decided are influenced by a (terrible) newspaper that apparently we all read (I buy it sometimes if there is a free £5 bet voucher, rip it out and dump the rest straight in the bin outside my Tesco). All views based while sitting atop a pizza box mountain with a telescope and laptop, lecturing us all about a country you've never even visited, a city you've never entered and a stadium you've never sat in.

You omitted:-

'while telling life long Albion fans who don't agree that they aren't even Albion fans'.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I don't read the tabloids and I think he's shitehouse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have family who work in Irish football, his ‘issues’ are not just restricted to the Albion.

It may be the case. I'm not saying it isn't.

What I'm saying is that is a questionable thing to build a perception of a person based on what has been said in this thread (lots of anonymous sources, "his barber says he is shithouse", "nightclub owner spoke to me about him and said he was shithouse", "my friend...", "my daughers colleague" and that sort of things... I can't judge anyone based on that. If all these gossiping cowards got issues with Aaron, speak up or shut up - the whisper game says more about the people involved than the subject of the whispering.

Another factor why I'm not blindly going to buy all these comments are the massive over reactions when AC appeared in newspapers. He broke Covid restrictions to **** someone, he did not want his girlfriend to go to Love Island and people here reacted as it was the most evil thing a human has ever done... no shit I, with that in regard, take all these accusations with a huge grain of salt.

Some of the same people saying he has a bad attitude also say that if he scored 15 goals, they would not give a shit about his so called off-pitch antics. It does not strengthen their position as I see it, as it is pretty much a case of admitting that their frustrations about the player is influencing how they see him as a person.

As I said, it may all be true that his attitude is shit and so forth but I'll give him (and anyone) the benefit of a doubt until a) someone speaks up non-anonymously, without vagueness so that the subject of the gossip has a chance to respond to the accusations, b) newspapers report something actually important and newsworthy that relates to his character more than the tired mumbo jumbo that has been or c) he has something to say about it himself.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't read the tabloids and I think he's shitehouse.

Then the tabloids must have been broadcasting subliminal messages on here, telling us all* that he's shitehouse.

*Apart from Swanny, who knows about these things, and takes precautionary counter measures of the bacofoil variety.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Take those blinkers off, I haven’t read anything other than what’s posted on here. My opinion though is formed by what my eyes have told me ON THE FOOTBALL PITCH. Don’t lump everyone on NSC in the same box

I happen to think that he could be good enough :shrug:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Connolly can make it, I think he probably won't though.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Take those blinkers off, I haven’t read anything other than what’s posted on here. My opinion is formed by what my eyes have told me ON THE FOOTBALL PITCH. Don’t lump everyone on NSC in the same box

Indeed, I don’t read gutter press musings. I do however watch football and was 21 once. Thus I can say with some perception of the reality of the athletic demands of top tier football. . . The focus, the diet, the work rate etc.

That ...

Maybe if you’re regularly up late, maybe after one too many pints of goblin juice... that the demands of modern top flight football will leave you looking off the pace and just plain poor... you can’t do it anymore, not unless you’re physically exceptional.

Yes, I was 21 once and it was hard to give a shit tbh, but then again I wasn’t earning 30kish a week and living a dream... but, maybe I would have acted up too... it’s impossible to say.

One thing is sure, raw talent is no longer enough.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

What I'm saying is that is a questionable thing to build a perception of a person based on what has been said in this thread (lots of anonymous sources, "his barber says he is shithouse", "nightclub owner spoke to me about him and said he was shithouse", "my friend...", "my daughers colleague" and that sort of things... I can't judge anyone based on that. If all these gossiping cowards got issues with Aaron, speak up or shut up - the whisper game says more about the people involved than the subject of the whispering.

Another factor why I'm not blindly going to buy all these comments are the massive over reactions when AC appeared in newspapers. He broke Covid restrictions to **** someone, he did not want his girlfriend to go to Love Island and people here reacted as it was the most evil thing a human has ever done... no shit I, with that in regard, take all these accusations with a huge grain of salt.

Some of the same people saying he has a bad attitude also say that if he scored 15 goals, they would not give a shit about his so called off-pitch antics. It does not strengthen their position as I see it, as it is pretty much a case of admitting that their frustrations about the player is influencing how they see him as a person.

As I said, it may all be true that his attitude is shit and so forth but I'll give him (and anyone) the benefit of a doubt until a) someone speaks up non-anonymously, without vagueness so that the subject of the gossip has a chance to respond to the accusations, b) newspapers report something actually important and newsworthy that relates to his character more than the tired mumbo jumbo that has been or c) he has something to say about it himself.

It’s usually only possible to form an opinion of someone from the available information in relation to them. In the case of AC it is, anecdotally I’m the first to admit, not a positive. Stories from Brighton, Ireland and Middlesbrough (and these aren’t in the tabloids or social media/influencer output) don’t present him in a positive light. Agree with you that if he was regularly scoring goals then the perception of him would be far more positive, but 7 goals in 65 games isn’t a prolific return.

Petulant behaviour on the pitch does not help either, fans tend to by sympathetic to someone who they see try hard (I’m not saying AC doesn’t do it, but his reactions don’t endear him to those who watch.

Equally he can point out that he’s earned more at the age of 22 than I’ve earned in a lifetime so he’s a success and stuff anyone who isn’t a cheerleader for him.

You may be a nice person or a reprehensible one, again people will form opinions from your postings, which are not the whole story, but that’s the benefit or drawback of online anonymity…if you choose to use that cloak.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I think the massive point you are missing is that these ‘anonymous sources’ are only anonymous to you. Because you don’t live here. Personally I’m more likely to believe people I know and trust who have told me things about him, especially ones that are very good friends and don’t like football. It seems far fetched that they would think ‘I’m going to make something up about a footballer I have no knowledge of to tell someone who likes football’. Doesn’t it? The fact that you think that is more likely, probably says more about you than them.

I do wonder how long you’ll keep defending AC for. When we ship him out to Luton or somewhere in the Summer? When he is playing for Crawley Town? Or perhaps when he’s back in Cork hanging the goals in in the Irish league? It’s going to be interesting to see.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bit unfair on Murray. We called him the League 1 Berbatov during his first spell with us. He was a classy creator as well as a goal scorer and looked way too good for League 1. Palace helped turn him into a more traditional number 9 and it is testament to his ability that he was able to re-invent himself in that way and become a premier league goal scorer.

One of my best friends played with Murray at Workington Reds. He knew him fairly well in those days. He always said Glenn was probably one of the better players at that level, but he didn’t really stand out, and of all the players there nobody would have guessed it would be him to go on to be a professional. The difference was that after a match they’d all go out and get smashed in the town, and Murray would go to the gym or do extra training instead. He apparently absolutely worked his arse off to get better.

When he got a trial for Carlisle my mate was apparently really surprised (and jealous). Him and his mates all thought no way was he good enough, and they couldn’t believe it when he ended up with a professional contract. In fact, after watching him for a year in League One with us I bet my mate a funded night out that he would one day score in the Premier League. He laughed at the prospect and took the bet. A bet that he still hasn’t paid me, thinking about it.

But it just goes to show, hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
One of my best friends played with Murray at Workington Reds. He knew him fairly well in those days. He always said Glenn was probably one of the better players at that level, but he didn’t really stand out, and of all the players there nobody would have guessed it would be him to go on to be a professional. The difference was that after a match they’d all go out and get smashed in the town, and Murray would go to the gym or do extra training instead. He apparently absolutely worked his arse off to get better.

When he got a trial for Carlisle my mate was apparently really surprised (and jealous). Him and his mates all thought no way was he good enough, and they couldn’t believe it when he ended up with a professional contract. In fact, after watching him for a year in League One with us I bet my mate a funded night out that he would one day score in the Premier League. He laughed at the prospect and took the bet. A bet that he still hasn’t paid me, thinking about it.

Precisely and (again) another decent bit of nsc informed opinion - nice to read.

Really Aaron should listen to his manager:

“The PL is about fine margins...”

If you work hard to narrow that gap, play the percentages - you can beat Utd 4-0 at home or City 3-2.

If you ignore this mantra and (paradoxically) work hard to widen those fine margins, through determined self destructive behaviour - surely you wouldn’t be surprised to see the glorious horizon drift away...

Glenn Murray saw the value in striving to make tiny increments over time and look what he wrought.

The other great example: Dan Burn, now living his dream.

Should we really feel sorry for Aaron ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Good story, thank you. I suppose it’s game of opinions and to be fair your mate has played at a higher level than I have ! I just remember I probably enjoyed watching the early incarnation of Murray more than the later one. Your point about alcohol is definitely important. A mate of mine went out with the players in Shrewsbury after that last away game when we were promoted. The only player not drinking was Zamora. Hard work, motivation to succeed and natural talent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, I'm the one who hasn't, because I don't give a shit about what a bunch of cowards whispers about him (or anyone else) or the pretty petty stuff the tabloids bring up . :shrug:

I was told things about one of our players by an NSCer a couple of years ago now, I was really surprised to hear it. Suffice to say he was right :smile:

People who live in Brighton do know things that go on with local celebrities, dismissing everything because you live in Sweden and are not party to local gossip is a bit… NAFF

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the massive point you are missing is that these ‘anonymous sources’ are only anonymous to you. Because you don’t live here. Personally I’m more likely to believe people I know and trust who have told me things about him, especially ones that are very good friends and don’t like football. It seems far fetched that they would think ‘I’m going to make something up about a footballer I have no knowledge of to tell someone who likes football’. Doesn’t it? The fact that you think that is more likely, probably says more about you than them.

I do wonder how long you’ll keep defending AC for. When we ship him out to Luton or somewhere in the Summer? When he is playing for Crawley Town? Or perhaps when he’s back in Cork hanging the goals in in the Irish league? It’s going to be interesting to see.

If these anonymous sources are only anonymous to me, what is the point of anonymity? Why not share the name of ACs barber if everyone knows who it is?

It is very convenient for you and others to play the "you're not here so you don't understand everyone knows each other and everyone knows what everyone is up to all the time" card because if I point out the absurdity of it, you can always say "you're in Sweden, you don't know". Very easy to hide behind. But other threads show that this "all of the 220 000 people in Brighton are fully aware and in the know of each and every citizen" might not be entirely true. If that was the case, why would there be dozens of people going Sigmund Freud on Bissouma rather than just ask their wives or something about his feelings and whether he bothered to plant geraniums this year and whatnot. Why does not anyone appear to know why Neal Maupay goes to dressing room after games? Surely just ask him or his barber or whatever?

The timeline regarding AC is interesting. Not once did I see anyone claiming to know him (and/or everyone he's ever met) when he was playing well and scoring goals. Not once, as far as I remember, did I see anyone claiming he has a bad attitude until the goals dried up. Then he didn't continue to perform according to peoples absurd expectations and they made the decision he must have a bad attitude rather than being a so-so player, and once his name was in the tabloids for the first time, people crawled up from everywhere to tell how they know all about him etc.

This is too common and gives strong scavenger vibes... All quiet, people don't like how he plays and when the tabloids run some pretty much non-story all of a barbers and bartenders and friends of friends appear from every corner to take the opportunity to pour fuel on it. Coupled with the eternal desire to scapegoat players - be it Maupay, Gross, Connolly or whoever - it leaves me with the impression that people are full of shit and lies.

The fact that none of these supposedly real people are willing to put their names and faces behind this gossiping, which just reeks of dishonesty. Apparently I'm expected to believe what some of you guys are saying based on your omniscient yet obviously very secret sources. Yet the obvious reluctance to name these people sure does give the impression that they might be fictional people made up to push your narratives. There is no way of fact checking your claims about knowing a shitload of people who know Aaron Connolly. What are you afraid of? What are they afraid of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here