Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 closed at Pyecombe both ways

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
20 hurt in A23 minibus crash
A MINIBUS crash on the A23 south of Albourne was declared a major incident today (Thursday June 8) with as many as 20 people injured, four seriously hurt.
A spokesman for the Sussex Ambulance Service confirmed the Sussex police helicopter and the Thames helicopter were at the scene as well as a number of ambulances, fire crews and police.
The incident happened at 3.45pm.
Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Gary Towson said the vehicle was on its roof on the central reservation and the road had been closed in both directions.
"Fire crews freed one man who was trapped in the vehicle, the ambulance service is treating a large number of casualties at the scene," Mr Towson said.
When the County Times went to press the incident was still on-going.

http://www.horshamtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?sectionid=507&articleid=1553650

I was coming through there around 4pm but followed a few cars the wrong up the 'down ramp' at HHP.
Didnt know what the hold up was at the time but it looked fairly solid southbound

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The EK "just took an hour to get from Lewes to Hurstpierpoint" travel update:

A23 closed northbound at Patcham

Queues from Newtimber to Poynings from the A23, and up the Saddlescombe road.

Queues from Saddlescombe Road south end into Brighton & Hove

Queues through Burgess Hill into Hurstpierpoint and up to Poynings.

Queues bloody everywhere else in Burgess Hill (where I still have to get to)

Queues in Hassocks

Queues on Ditchling Road northbound out of Brighton and towards Ditchling village

*sighs*

cheer up folks, at least it's a nice day, you still have your health, and the World Cup starts tomorrow

:clap:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i will be coming down the a23 at about 7:30....is it better to come down the A24?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dies Irae said:
i will be coming down the a23 at about 7:30....is it better to come down the A24?

Don't think you will be coming down the A23 Dave, or at least if you do, you'll be getting a lovely (and tortuously slow) scenic tour of the delights of Burgess Hill

:lolol:

Would go for the A24 myself, as even when they've removed the casualties, it's a large enough incident to require the full works from the Crash Investigation Unit, so they'll be running around taking photos and measuring for ages still before the road reopens.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Four badly hurt in minibus crash
Four people have been seriously injured after a minibus apparently overturned on the A23 in West Sussex.
The vehicle had at least 15 people on board when it crashed on Thursday afternoon, and Sussex Police said there were "numerous walking wounded".

The A23 between Pyecombe and Hickstead has been closed to traffic.

Ten ambulances and an emergency helicopter were sent to the scene after Sussex ambulance control received several 999 calls at about 1540 BST.

The injured people have been taken to the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath, the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton and the East Surrey Hospital in Redhill.

BBC news

A bit more detail ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/5061594.stm

Four badly hurt in minibus crash

Four people have been seriously injured after a minibus apparently overturned on the A23 in West Sussex.

At least 15 people, including adults with special needs and their carers, were on board when the crash happened near Hickstead on Thursday afternoon.

The minibus was from a training centre in Tower Hamlets, London.

One badly hurt person was airlifted to the East Surrey Hospital in Redhill. Sussex Ambulance Service said 11 others had suffered minor injuries.

The A23 between Pyecombe and Hickstead has been closed to traffic.

'Walking wounded'

An ambulance spokeswoman said the minibus ended up on the central reservation following the crash.

Ten ambulances and an emergency helicopter were sent to the scene after Sussex ambulance control received several 999 calls at about 1540 BST.

Four of the ambulances were diverted for rapid response from the South of England Show being staged at Ardingly, to the north of the crash scene.

Six people with minor injuries were taken to the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath.

Five other "walking wounded" are at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton along with the other three people with more serious injuries.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
2 f***ing hours 15 f***ing minutes to get back fom Crawley !!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
REDLAND said:
2 f***ing hours 15 f***ing minutes to get back fom Crawley !!

How very inconsiderate. It would be so much better if people with special needs chose a better time of day to die. Maybe next time you could let them know when you're travelling and they could keep the road clear for you.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Timbo said:
How very inconsiderate. It would be so much better if people with special needs chose a better time of day to die. Maybe next time you could let them know when you're travelling and they could keep the road clear for you.
Well said. FFS. :nono:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I saw the queue as I buzzed from Hurstpierpoint over the A23 bridge to Henfield...where incidently I saw a drunk bloke get run over in the high street!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Bish Bosh said:
Redland..whoever you are you're a twat for sure!:censored:

snigger

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I took the long way round via Hassocks, Cowfold, Partridge Green and Steyning. You lot should invest in maps. Home in no time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I've just driven to Crawley for work, the Southbound road was still closed, looked like they were sweeping up the last of the debris. The Northbound side was open for 1 lane, am guessing the southbound carriageway will be opened 1 lane soon until they repair the central reservation.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
dougdeep said:
I took the long way round via Hassocks, Cowfold, Partridge Green and Steyning. You lot should invest in maps. Home in no time.

If you went via Hassocks then why didn't you go through Ditchling,Plumton.Lewes to Seaford?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here