Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A message from Tommy Fraiser...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Withdean Wanderer on this occasion speaks the truth. He speaks with wisdom! The holy spirit hath come down upon him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Fraser played to the best of his ability , always put in 100% which is more than some players did. However Slade is building a side that will challenge for promotion and it was his decision that Fraser wouldn't be offered a new contract.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Regardless of the merits of this rumour Fraser was a GOOD player for us and never gave less than 100 per cent.

He played a big part in our run toward the end of the season including scoring an all-important goal at Hereford - before which most of us had completely given up hope of survival.

I am sad he has left and wish him nothing but the very best in his future career and hopefully one day we may see him in the stripes again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Fraser going to Palace could happen as they need to consolidate their position in the Championship as a mid table club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
how do you know that matt lawrance wants to sign for us? i hope not. i don't think we should sign players from palace, it cheapens the rivalry a bit in my book. i didn't like it one little bit when andrews was playing last season, had to cheer and support a palace player wearing the stripes. IT'S NOT ON.

I used to LOVE Neil Smillie on the wing, didn't bother me a bit that he was ex Palace.

Similarly when we WON League 1 under Peter Taylor I was more than happy to join in the celebrations, similarly was gutted to see Coppell go.

By all means want Palace to lose, but to refuse to get behind players because of a past association is rather churlish. Remember there was no real acrimony between the two sets of fans before Ron Challis and 'that' match.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Yeah, robotic players like ronaldo and drogba who are constantly harangued, more so than the brighton players get, not just in the volume of criticism, but the harshness of it, yet are some of the best in football. When The likes of Drogba, Gallas and Berbatov underperform, we don't blame the negative comments aimed at them, we blame the players, we call them sulky. I'm ok with that, because it's their responsibility.

I'm clearly not calling for robots, I'm calling for professionals. People with focus, people who take responsibility for their own performance, people who can take reasonable criticisim and still do their job. You don't need to be a robot to fulfill these criteria, just professional.

When fans complain about rough tackles being ruled fouls because "this is a contact sport" that it's "a man's game", then the fans to turn around and talk about players feelings being hurt when fans call them or poor performances, it really irks me.

Drogba is one of the sulkiest players I've ever seen, he was rubbish for about 3 months this season because he didn't like the manager. This is your example of professionalism?

I'm not saying that personal criticism affects all players, but it can and it's one of a thousand human factors that affect player performance and saying that players should be above it is just unrealsitic.

Also - I would say that yesterday Ronaldo was affected by the whole 'best player in the world' showdown. He seemed overly desperate to prove himself and it affected his game. Perhaps he shouldn't care so much about what people think?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm sorry, but Fraser is a lower league 1 player at best, with limited ability... the managers that played him were forced to do so due to lack of investment in our midfield... at last, we have a manager who has eliminated much of the deadwood, which includes Fraser... why should I criticise the managers, we are focussing on Fraser?

Hmmm, I just said no-one would argue Fraser was a great player, but then you open your post as if I said just that. Why?

Feel free to attack our players (whilst they are playing for us) all you like, but I can't help but think it a bit counter-productive and unnecessary. And besides if you took your argument to it's logical conclusion most of our players are fairly limited. That's why they play in the third tier of English football. Why not give Kuipers some stick? He's a decent shot stopper, but doesn't command his area, has dubious decision making and poor distribution (his kicking is woeful). He should surely be a prime target.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Remember there was no real acrimony between the two sets of fans before Ron Challis and 'that' match.

How very true!

On the Fraser issue, when I first saw him I thought he was a willing worker, without much skill or imagination - but I always had the impression that as a player he was doing EXACTLY the job the manager had asked him to - perhaps even a bit too rigidly. Some of the comments on here seem to show that wasn't a bad call at all!

This season, though, I felt he'd come on a lot - and that he'd fairly blossomed under RS, a leader on the pitch and influencing games much more. To be fair, the Hereford keeper wasn't the only person in the ground to be surprised by that overhead kick at Hereford, but his confidence did seem to be growing. Surprised he didn't get a contract, really.

I don't know about the rumour that RS was trying to get rid of a drinking culture among some of the players - getting rid of the player isn't necessarily the best way to stop it; you can introduce tough new rules and standards - and if after a few months a player is still defying the new regime and ignoring warnings, then fine, ship him out - but I don't think 8 weeks is long enough for that to happen.

Still, he's gone now - good luck to him. We'd just better make sure we replace him with someone better!

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Just spoke to a friend of John Sullivans at the gym and apparently Sully has an offer from Millwall, Fraser does have an offer from Palace and Robinson has been made a tentative offer from a championship club. Just telling you guys what i've been told!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BoF - we're all lifers here.

Agreed. I wasn't being serious in the slightest. I don't mind that WW 'moans' (for want of a better word) about much to do with the club. Hell, I think he goes to many more games that 99% of the posters on here.

I just find the sheer glee that some people display when someone has lost their job, very hard to swallow. Plus, I am quite gutted that Fraser was released. That did surprise me somewhat as he seemed to be making great strides and I think he will forge a career as a professional. Going to have to trust Slade on this one, I guess.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
sully to millwall is the only rumour i think could be true from the above....fraser to Palace would shock me and jakey to a championship club would also be a shock

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I used to LOVE Neil Smillie on the wing, didn't bother me a bit that he was ex Palace.

Similarly when we WON League 1 under Peter Taylor I was more than happy to join in the celebrations, similarly was gutted to see Coppell go.

By all means want Palace to lose, but to refuse to get behind players because of a past association is rather churlish. Remember there was no real acrimony between the two sets of fans before Ron Challis and 'that' match.

i guess the point i was trying to make, albeit with a heavy touch, was that signing a reserve striker from palace who goes straight into our first team is a bit humiliating - its bad enough that we've been in lower leagues than them for most of the last 15 years or so, but taking their reserves is an admission of inferiority in my book.

with coppell and taylor it felt different as they'd both long since left smellhurst.

how would you feel if king bob joined them? i think i'd be a bit upset.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always said the ex-youth team players should have been forced out of their comfort zone. Joel Lynch has held his own at one grade up in a strange town in another part of the country, half a dozen of the other ex-youth got breakfast in bed from their mums and were home in time for tea. Going forward, to use the business buzzword, being a homegrown (and cheap) Sussex youth won't be top of the list when it comes to picking players for the first team squad. Instead, it'll be grown-up professionals from all over the place. As it should be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here