Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A message from Tommy Fraiser...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
IF Fraser gets a contract at Palarse, and
IF he plays more than 20 games in the Championship,
then I'll admit I was wrong and it was a mistake to let him go.

However, if he helps them get relegated then I will forgive everything and buy him a very large drink. :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But so many on here act and write as if they don't. You wouldn't treat your worst enemies the way some people on here treat some of our own players. Never understood it myself. If they wear the stripes, I'll back them all the way. I always thought that was what a fan did.

Totally agree :clap::clap::clap:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I said on here somewhere that Palace were sniffing after Tommy MONTHS, literally YONKS ago.

A class player who is one of few at this level who is capable of playing to instructions.

I spoke to Dean Wilkins once and he could not praise Fraser highly enough.

Mistake to release.

It might be a good idea to wait until we bring in someone in midfield before writing it off as a mistake. Personally, I wasn't surprised he was released but would also have been quite happy if he got a new contract. However, logically if we get Xabi Alonso (I know we won't get him but someone really good at this level) to replace him it is a good move, if we get a Johnny Dixon like player it will be a mistake. It depends on who comes in.

Personally, if this Palace story is true, I can't see him being more than a fringe player and it will be amusing to see them sign our cast offs. Do you think they want Dixon too?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hang on, hang on, you're kidding surely? There might actually be a bit of truth to this drunken nightclub rumour? Fraser. Palace!? HAHAHAHAHA that's brilliant. Fraser a championship footballer. Ha that's ridiculous. Might put money on them going down if he does sign. Hahaha!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Is that what Dean said ?

Interesting - not the sort of insight we normally get on here.

Yes.

It was about the time Fraser was being used right midfield and being asked to cut in a lot to allow Whing to overlap.

The crowd were getting on at Fraser for not staying wide but Wilkins told me he was one of the players he could rely on to play to instructions and that he was doing exactly what he had been told.

He said basically many fans did not really appreciate the job Fraser was doing but that it was key to the way we played at the time.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hang on, hang on, you're kidding surely? There might actually be a bit of truth to this drunken nightclub rumour? Fraser. Palace!? HAHAHAHAHA that's brilliant. Fraser a championship footballer. Ha that's ridiculous. Might put money on them going down if he does sign. Hahaha!

You really don't learn, do you?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yes.

It was about the time Fraser was being used right midfield and being asked to cut in a lot to allow Whing to overlap.

The crowd were getting on at Fraser for not staying wide but Wilkins told me he was one of the players he could rely on to play to instructions and that he was doing exactly what he had been told.

He said basically many fans did not really appreciate the job Fraser was doing but that it was key to the way we played at the time.

Much as I don't rate Fraser this really, really frustrated me when he was playing right wing. So obvious that he is a central midfield player and he looked almost awkward out on the right. There's no doubt that we saw the best of him when he played in the middle, same with Paul Reid.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think that was Wilkins point. He was never playing right wing. He was told to tuck in and allow Whing to overlap and then, when we were defending, the manager asked one of the forwards to drop into the wide right position to make up a five man unit.

Some of the Withdean crowd though just expect anyone playing right midfield to be an out and out winger.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
should have been given another season in my view. showed plenty of promise - I think he's more of a passing midfielder than a grafter or at least would have developed into that if given time... and another contract!

I agree. It goes against the grain on here though to suggest that Fraser actually puts his foot on the ball and looks to pick out a pass. He's still young and developing and I think he's more than capable at this level at present and possibly even champioship level in the future if he continues to develop. Whereever he goes I wish him well.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I was quite surprised we released Fraser, I thought he'd have been retained by the club. I didn't expect a championship club to go in for him, and obviously I'd much rather it wasn't Palace but c'est la vie. If he can leave a league one club and get signed by a championship side then fair play to the lad.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wouldnt be suprised to See Matt Lawrence come in the other direction.
We need an experienced decent centre half in my opinion.
On top of that I know he wants to come

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yes.

This makes perfect sense and sums up the crowd at times. Whether the tactic was right or wrong, Fraser was 'doing a job' as requested.

It always amazes me that home grown players get more stick than ones who've been bought. I wonder of Mayo, Fraser or Harding would have been as heavily criticised if they'd been signed rather than come through the ranks?

We're not alone in this - Ipswich fans have done the same to Matt Richards and I'm sure they're plenty of other examples in the league.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
So now he bleeds blue and white AND is good at listening to instructions. Big deal. Not good enough and Slade has realised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here