Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A message from Tommy Fraiser...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with this partly. I'm not sure it applies to players like Leon Knight whose attitude stank, I think fans have every right to complain about that.

But I could never understand the hostility shown to honest pros like Tommy Fraser or Doug Loft. And I especially couldn't understand the hostility to someone like Kerry Mayo who served this club faithfully for 13 years.

Then watch the game and appreciate how limited those listed are as players... work ethic, yes... loyalty, yes... ability, no...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Therefore, what we say on here is in the public domain, it will be read by some players/staff and it will affect them. It won't necessarily make them break down and cry or pull up their sock or whatever we are urging them to do - but it could influence them. You have to concede that don't you?

I simply don't buy the excuse that players perform badly because we critique their performance.

I'm not denying there are comments on here that go too far, go beyond discussing a particular performance and that there are people on here that will never be happy with some players performances.

But, a professional sports man should take responsibility for his own performance, palming off the blame to fans who are unhappy is, imo, a cop out. A professional sportsman is by the nature of their career choice, puttingthemselves out there, and people will always criticise them, even when they're good, a professional sportsman should be conditioned to ignoring this, to focusing on the job at hand.

If they can't do that, they are in the wrong career.

And that is just the people who are there in the flesh watching them compete, or comments in newspapers on phone ins with names and identities to them.

If they can't even dismiss anonymous comments on an internet site they continue to choose to access, then they really don't have the right character to be a professional sportsman, especailly not in something with as much coverage and passionately opinionated support as football.

If they come here for confidence boosts, they are looking in the wrong place. If they come back here again for a confidence boost after discovering the horrid comments about them on a previous attempt at ego stroking, they are just idiots.

*I'm not talking about any player in particular, just a general attitude that iritates me about how we're not supposed to criticise a player who screws up because it upsets them.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Then watch the game and appreciate how limited those listed are as players... work ethic, yes... loyalty, yes... ability, no...

Is there anyone saying that players like Fraser are great? What most people find unpalatable is the amount of fairly personal stick these players are given. Why not give the stick to the manager that played them?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I simply don't buy the excuse that players perform badly because we critique their performance.

I'm not denying there are comments on here that go too far, go beyond discussing a particular performance and that there are people on here that will never be happy with some players performances.

But, a professional sports man should take responsibility for his own performance, palming off the blame to fans who are unhappy is, imo, a cop out. A professional sportsman is by the nature of their career choice, puttingthemselves out there, and people will always criticise them, even when they're good, a professional sportsman should be conditioned to ignoring this, to focusing on the job at hand.

If they can't do that, they are in the wrong career.

And that is just the people who are there in the flesh watching them compete, or comments in newspapers on phone ins with names and identities to them.

If they can't even dismiss anonymous comments on an internet site they continue to choose to access, then they really don't have the right character to be a professional sportsman, especailly not in something with as much coverage and passionately opinionated support as football.

If they come here for confidence boosts, they are looking in the wrong place. If they come back here again for a confidence boost after discovering the horrid comments about them on a previous attempt at ego stroking, they are just idiots.

*I'm not talking about any player in particular, just a general attitude that iritates me about how we're not supposed to criticise a player who screws up because it upsets them.

We could play robots and they might behave how you suggest? Players and managers are human though and that's why football is interesting. Imagine what football would look like if all football players, managers etc could do as you suggest above.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Obviously expressing an opinion that doesn't follow the majority is attention seeking...

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Wouldnt be suprised to See Matt Lawrence come in the other direction.
We need an experienced decent centre half in my opinion.
On top of that I know he wants to come

how do you know that matt lawrance wants to sign for us? i hope not. i don't think we should sign players from palace, it cheapens the rivalry a bit in my book. i didn't like it one little bit when andrews was playing last season, had to cheer and support a palace player wearing the stripes. IT'S NOT ON.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is there anyone saying that players like Fraser are great? What most people find unpalatable is the amount of fairly personal stick these players are given. Why not give the stick to the manager that played them?

I'm sorry, but Fraser is a lower league 1 player at best, with limited ability... the managers that played him were forced to do so due to lack of investment in our midfield... at last, we have a manager who has eliminated much of the deadwood, which includes Fraser... why should I criticise the managers, we are focussing on Fraser?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
how do you know that matt lawrance wants to sign for us? i hope not. i don't think we should sign players from palace, it cheapens the rivalry a bit in my book. i didn't like it one little bit when andrews was playing last season, had to cheer and support a palace player wearing the stripes. IT'S NOT ON.

Now, that is an ignorant post...

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the thing that made Tommy stand out was his leadership on the pitch.

We need to get someone in who will lead (a la Cullip/Oatway), who in the current squad can do it? No one stands out.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sorry but if Tommy was such a good player he would have played a lot more games under all the different managers that he has played under.....or havr they all got it wrong ?????

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the thing that made Tommy stand out was his leadership on the pitch.

We need to get someone in who will lead (a la Cullip/Oatway), who in the current squad can do it? No one stands out.

elphick, forster, virgo

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If he bleeds Blue and White he wouldn't even entertain the thought of signing for Palace, Ian Chapman had the opportunity and he didn't, he said he wouldn't have been able to look at himself in the mirror in the morning.

There's one significant difference between Fraser and Chapman though. Fraser is now unemployed, if the only offer on the table is palace then he'd be an idiot to turn it down. Chapman, I believe, turned palace down when he still had a contract with us.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I bumped into Tommy Fraiser earlier tonight after dinner and he was very open with me about being released from Brighton.

Aparantly he was promised a new contract after the season had finished, he was never told that he was a posibility to be released and he is GUTTED that he isnt a Brighton player anymore.

And probably most shockingly, he has been offered a contract by...

PALACE!!!!!

And he said he is probably going to accept it!!!

He said he is devistated that he cant play for Brighton but money is money and like many un-employed he has to take what work there is!

He said that the support he got from some Brighton fans was great but he also reads NSC and couldnt understand why people were slagging him off for doing whatbthe manager asked him to over the years!

In thaught (like many) that he was possibly a mistake being released and after my chat tonight Im 100% sure that he bkeeds Blue and White and he is guenilt GUTTED to be released!

I don't know whether you or Fraser are lying/you misunderstood but i VERY much doubt he was 'promised' a contract... many have questioned KNight over being a slimey operator and I do not believe he would ever have 'promised' a contract considering the immense uncertainty artound the club. Who was he promised it by? When? In what context? There the answers we need.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We could play robots and they might behave how you suggest? Players and managers are human though and that's why football is interesting. Imagine what football would look like if all football players, managers etc could do as you suggest above.

Yeah, robotic players like ronaldo and drogba who are constantly harangued, more so than the brighton players get, not just in the volume of criticism, but the harshness of it, yet are some of the best in football. When The likes of Drogba, Gallas and Berbatov underperform, we don't blame the negative comments aimed at them, we blame the players, we call them sulky. I'm ok with that, because it's their responsibility.

I'm clearly not calling for robots, I'm calling for professionals. People with focus, people who take responsibility for their own performance, people who can take reasonable criticisim and still do their job. You don't need to be a robot to fulfill these criteria, just professional.

When fans complain about rough tackles being ruled fouls because "this is a contact sport" that it's "a man's game", then the fans to turn around and talk about players feelings being hurt when fans call them or poor performances, it really irks me.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here