Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A message from Tommy Fraiser...

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Our Tommy never gave less than 100% for the club and displayed no end of talent. I can't quite believe he was released. Pace, vision, commitment, trickery, and goals are just some of the words I wouldn't use to describe him. If he's got an offer from Palace then he should sign it and show us how stupid we were to let his prodigious talent slip from our grasp.

Post Of the year:laugh:
Pace, NO.
Vision, NO.
Commitment, YES
Trickery?:lolol:
Goals?:lolol:
I Sense sarcasm ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our Tommy never gave less than 100% for the club and displayed no end of talent. I can't quite believe he was released. Pace, vision, commitment, trickery, and goals are just some of the words I wouldn't use to describe him. If he's got an offer from Palace then he should sign it and show us how stupid we were to let his prodigious talent slip from our grasp.

On the other hand tho, Tommy Fraser was always strictly lightweight, in the same way that Charlie Oatway was. Both had the commitment, but neither was ever likely to make up into a serious talent. In the end, just another bit-part player. The decision to let him go is harsh(ish) but fair. IMHO, like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh no. You are not the 'Sussex Rich Kids' poster on The Argus, are you THPP?

Nope, tho I've seen his posts on there. He seems VERY bitter, bitterness on a par with bhadeb in certain other matters.

I just think that our youth team players who have aspirations on the first team should be forcibly farmed out elsewhere in a sort of National Service stylee for a while, to make men out of them or not. See if they sink or swim.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nope, tho I've seen his posts on there. He seems VERY bitter, bitterness on a par with bhadeb in certain other matters.

I just think that our youth team players who have aspirations on the first team should be forcibly farmed out elsewhere in a sort of National Service stylee for a while, to make men out of them or not. See if they sink or swim.

I wasn't attributing your grammatical or orthographical efforts. I thought it might be a crazy 'second-being' of yours. I would be inclined to agree with you. Perhaps this faux coverage that we receive for our youth system does not help matters. Do we play then because they are good or do we play them because they are cheap?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tough one. From a footballing point of view he was terrible. I know you need someone in midfield who can put a tackle in, but I think even that player should have some ability on the ball. On the other hand, he was a fantastic leader - something EVERY successful team needs, and we probably haven't had since he retired. Really, we needed Oatway's attitude and Carpenter's talent rolled into one player in that era, instead of playing both.

It is an odd one. I thought that Fraser could play a part in a promotion winning team, specifically as back up whilst he learnt his trade. I do agree that he was far from being the finished article, but who is at 21? Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

The thing about Oatway that puzzled me was that he was not a very goood footballer, but didn't look out of place in The Championship and we struggled when he got injured. Just from his leadership qualities?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do we play then because they are good or do we play them because they are cheap?

We USED to play them cos they were cheap, no doubt about it. We HAD to play them as we were well and truly SKINT. And in the Championship as well. They did themselves proud, but it was several steps too far, which is why we went down.

But that was then and this is now.

Now, if we have an exceptionally gifted youth team player, he should be weaned in a proper professional manner through the ranks, maybe one day progressing to the first team. IMHO it should be the exception, rather than the rule. Up til now, our ex-youth team have had a WAY too easy ride into the first team.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Fraser had more skill than people realized as they were blinded by simple backwards passes and lack of ambition to get into the box

We played some big teams at Withdwan and he shone, Leeds and Forest the season before last in particular. I can remember at least three zidane double drag backs over the past couple of seasons too, and name another midfielder to score an over head kck fir Brighton?

I love Tommy Fraser and Tommy Fraser loves me

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Fraser had more skill than people realized as they were blinded by simple backwards passes and lack of ambition to get into the box

We played some big teams at Withdwan and he shone, Leeds and Forest the season before last in particular. I can remember at least three zidane double drag backs over the past couple of seasons too, and name another midfielder to score an over head kck fir Brighton?

I love Tommy Fraser and Tommy Fraser loves me

He's (was) a professional footballer Brett, of course he has a bit of skill in him. But he doesn't use it to do anything.

As for your overhead comment, you've put in 'midfielder' as to ignore the fact that the last player to score an overhead kick for us was Chris McPhee, and thus the type of goal it was is fairly irrellevant. Vital though it was, it proves little.

Yes, that's Chris McPhee.

And in the good performance against Leeds (widely regarded as his best game for the club) he did well and we still lost. Nothing to get excited about really.

He might be able to take orders, run around and make a nuisance, but frankly, any player with a hint of brain and fitness could do that.

Agreed. I wasn't being serious in the slightest. I don't mind that WW 'moans' (for want of a better word) about much to do with the club. Hell, I think he goes to many more games that 99% of the posters on here.

I just find the sheer glee that some people display when someone has lost their job, very hard to swallow. Plus, I am quite gutted that Fraser was released. That did surprise me somewhat as he seemed to be making great strides and I think he will forge a career as a professional. Going to have to trust Slade on this one, I guess.

I may come across 'gleeful' but that doesn't mean I'd want any human being to be out of a job, particularly in this recession. I hope he gets a job that he can live off. I just don't think he's good enough for League 1, let alone the Championship. If that makes me a ****, so be it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When I think 'overhead kick' I think of someone who jumps and kinda does a really messy back flip to kick the ball. I don't think of someone sticking their leg up and pretty much falling on their arse, which is what Tommy's overhead kick was. It was an important goal, and Tommy showed great stretchiness, and was smart/instinctive enough to do what he had to to score, but I don't think I'd parade it as a fantastic goal that is enough of a reason to retain him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm, I just said no-one would argue Fraser was a great player, but then you open your post as if I said just that. Why?

Feel free to attack our players (whilst they are playing for us) all you like, but I can't help but think it a bit counter-productive and unnecessary. And besides if you took your argument to it's logical conclusion most of our players are fairly limited. That's why they play in the third tier of English football. Why not give Kuipers some stick? He's a decent shot stopper, but doesn't command his area, has dubious decision making and poor distribution (his kicking is woeful). He should surely be a prime target.

The game is about opinions... this site is about opinions, and people are right to post what they think, and argue their respective cases... I think Fraser is a limited player AT LEAGUE 1 LEVEL, but you seem to have a higher opinion of him... I think the FDM, on the other hand, has been an excellent servant of the club over many seasons... it seems that the manager agrees with me re Fraser, since he released him... get over it!

If the players don't like what they read on here, then they shouldn't visit... it is not mandatory after all... why do you acuse me of criticising our current players, when you are criticising Kuipers (a current player) and defending Fraser (not part of our club anymore)!... :jester:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think you might have missed the word "wouldn't" in my post:lolol:

In all seriousness, Fraser wasn't the worst player to ever play for us but nor was he good enough if we've got ambitions of even being in the top HALF of this division. Hard work and effort are admirable, and we may well not have stayed up without it, but as a forward-thinking club we need quality and sadly Fraser never showed any. I think if he drops down a level he has a chance of at least establishing himself as a regular and, from there, it is possible to come back up. But right here, right now Russell made the absolutely 100% correct decision to get rid.

100% agree... all the praise being heaped on Fraser on this thread is seen through "he is local, loyal, committed, so he must be good" glasses... I will be shocked if he gets better than L1, probably L2... whatever contract he gets, good luck to him, but he was not going to help us to promotion...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here