Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A bit of a shambles today

Sammy the seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Brighton
Ernest said:
Colin Kazzim Richards is the new Graham Barrett FACT
You come out with some shite, FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I think the main problem today was Adebola, we just couldn't deal with him.

I've never seen a striker beat Butters in the air that much. Thats not knocking Guy but Adebola was the best target man striker I think i've ever seen at this level.

The whole defence looked very nervous with Reid and McShane having poor games.

Not sure if McShane was carrying a knock but he was off the pace.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
_wilka_ said:
The whole defence looked very nervous with Reid and McShane having poor games

i think reid will continue to look a shadow of the player he can be as long as he is at left back

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
McShane looked bloody awful today and slow

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Far more critical and downbeat today LI,i'll take that but suspect your being overly 'moany' to appease those laughing at your upbeat recent history.

ps i don't want to know if you've got further reasons to believe we were shit today.:) It's a point.

OK - as some have already started and are being WAY TOO GENEROUS :lolol:

Blayney 7 Welcome home Big Gay Al, you had some great saves early, and the odd few late on too.

OGH 6 I'm sure a couple of times he was caught out of position, but I'm lost in admiration for his sheer work-rate today
McShane 5 Bloody hell, he's not perfect :lolol: Couldn't handle Adebola's physicality today
Butters 5.5 One of his least effective games in the air, but you couldn't blame him for thinking he was in the first world war trenches there was so much raining in on him.
Reid 5.5 When the defence is on the rack, the cracks of left-sided inexperience are bound to show

Carole 7 Busy and skilful, challenging McShane now for player of the season thus far
Hammond 5 Very, very average, woeful passing.
Chippy 6 Fought harder than most, but lacked precision.
Jarrett 8 A revelation - if he keeps improving at this rate, we have a PLAYER.

Knight 6 Maddenly inconsistent today, some nice skill on the ball but some hopeless crosses. Can't believe the cheeky !!!! tried to milk the applause for the first goal and left Jarrett just standing there :)
Robinson 5 Very poor, shocking "attempt" at a near-post header in the first minute and then a lame header straight to the keeper when clean through. His time must be up now until we get the shape back into our play.

CKR 7 superb first goal - and almost got an absolute screamer late on for mugging of the century.

Last edited:

Brixtaan said:
Far more critical and downbeat today LI,i'll take that but suspect your being overly 'moany' to appease those laughing at your upbeat recent history.

Ouch - just call me Neville Chamberlain :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We can all have our off days I suppose tho??

To be fair to McShane he is young and still learning. Be interesting to see how he handles that type of forward again.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
We can all have our off days I suppose tho??

To be fair to McShane he is young and still learning. Be interesting to see how he handles that type of forward again.

I think Adebola is an exceptional player. Took the game at Highfield Road away from us a few months ago and was brilliant again today. I doubt if McShane will face his equal again this season.

Interesting to note given our current fad for small forwards, how the big guy up front can be very effective.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mcshane really struggled today against the physical presence of Adebola ( by far the best player today ) and Scowcroft ( By far the worst striker today thankfully ). Some very sloppy passing throughout the team ( Especially chippy ) Jarrett came into the game but faded towards the end but did deserve his Brighton man of the match award. Leon was at his tenacious best but a little too greedy at times. Carole had a quiet game by his standard as did Butters and Reidy. Blayney looked to struggle a bit today which is fair enough as he has not trained with Mcshane before. He seemed to fail to command his area but his distribution was good for most of the match. OGH played really well again today and is really starting to settle in to that right back position. His crosses were also very good when he surged forward. Jakey was poor today but he is young and still learning. Hammond played quite well and was getting stuck in where he could . CKR was superb. Took his goal extremely well and his control on the chest and volley that nearly flew into the top corner has shown that this boy is a bit special. For me though, the strangest thing that happened today was when Magoo moved a very impressive Jarret from the left wing that he was causing loads of trouble to the right wing where he could not get past watson as he can not kick for toffee with his right foot.

Overall I would say Coventry were good for all 3 points today but then again we should have got something out of tuesday so I can not complain about a point from this one.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
I think Adebola is an exceptional player. Took the game at Highfield Road away from us a few months ago and was brilliant again today. I doubt if McShane will face his equal again this season.

Interesting to note given our current fad for small forwards, how the big guy up front can be very effective.

I would agree. At least on the bench. I have no doubt big mac would have played some part in the sheff utd game bearing in mind their 'agricultural' style of play sometimes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My take on the game was that we have now played two teams with styles more akin to League 1 football, although obviously more talented. We were outmuscled and the midfield was non existant for large parts of the game. We need to play CKR or El Turi against teams like this, as the defence seem incapable of playing under pressure without hoofing it . It may work away from home but it sure as hell doesn't when the other team have defenders in place

Everytime we had the ball we were under pressure and often gave it away to a Coventry side who probably couldn't believe how much space we gave them as the whole team backed off. A really frustrating game to watch 1st half for me.

The fact that we had chances to win should make me feel better but I was expecting to concede everytime Coventry attacked and I see it as a point gained rather than 2 lost.

I expected a win but was relieved to get a draw. High spots were Albert's fine form and Gary Hart's non stop running and off course CKR's goal. Is it just me or did he sound like Frank Bruno when being interviewed?

Too many player's had offdays and we are not good enough in this division when that happens:(

Last edited:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
I think the problem today was Mcshane was completely off form along with Jakey, Adebola was very strong up front for Coventry, and fortunately for us he aint that quick, i thought Jarrett was superb, and the Coca-Cola kid certainly looked like he was money well spent. OOOH! that 30 yarder was close.

I thought it was a fair result, and well done Micky Adams for bringing a team to play football.:clap:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I can't agree with that view LI, I really saw a different perspective of our game then. Coventry took a couple of their chances and could have buried more, but we were outrageously wasteful of the inroads we made - as usual - and could have turned our pressure into a decent win if the team would just take on a different mentality.
We HAVE the talent, we make the chances, yet frustratingly doss about the end product - it drives me bonkers. Seeing Al Jarrett getting inside their midfield and rescinding the responsibility of scoring - it just looks like the side are too mechanically going through training moves. Jarrett particularly was guilty of having to tee the ball up before he'd risk a shot, like he wanted it perfectly placed....when he could have taken a couple of belters today and been a hero. Thank goodness CKR had that devil-may-care cutting edge that raised above routine, otherwise I'd have personally felt that was a couple of lost hours of my life.

Knight and Carole are similar players, both brilliant - but we can't afford BOTH of them doing their best work on the wings and outside the area. This only underlines the tactical problem we have by having a 'ghost' midfield. That is, we see these excellent strikers playing wings, Gary Hart picking up pieces going forward from the rearguard, and so many times there is no midfield at all. Where Carpenter gets deployed backing up the the wing play, any breaks from the opposition and the middle is a big space for them to run into. I would have thought we could leave Butters and McShane in the middle to secure against that, but with everyone working wide there's still a lot of open area in the middle. Hammond looks awol too often for my liking, and he's found drifting too far forward where he's not getting much of the ball anyway.

On the bright side, I really think this side has the potential and the talent to wipe the floor with most sides in the division. It needs some adjustments from McGhee, or else we'll get suckered every week and our points haul will be below a point a game.
We ARE scoring more than one a match, we ARE capable of banging in many more.

Tweak it McGhee, we don't need Hammond that far forward and we need one of those little wingers - along with CKR - operating as a striker. We also need that defence better organised, and the goallies need to be marshalling those in front of them when we are in our own area.

NMH (using a mates p/c)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
London Irish said:

*cough* mccammon *cough*

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Binney_on_acid said:
*splutter* no thanks *choke*

at leason kazim riahcrds is level on goals with 'trolley' now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here