Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A bit of a shambles today

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Race said:
but thats his job and fair play to him he done it well,it's just that some of the crap that get's put on here makes me laugh.you are given specific jobs to do on the pitch. when you feel that you have done it but still draw or lose then it frustrates you to hear all the negatives come out.f*** me we survived by the skin of our teeth last year and people now expect us to be hammering teams week in week out.wake up it aint gonna happen.what makes me laugh the most though is the general cloughiness of most people.some of whom don't even go to a lot of the games.how can they comment.get used to the fact that in some games we will probably get smashed.others we will do the smashing,but at the end of the day as long as we survive then thats all that matters

(steps down from soap box)

-------------- part 2 --------------------

....we have not got any god given right to beat anyone in this league.the same as anyone that we play hasn't got any right to expect that we are going to roll over every saturday

From my own visionary imagination (tempered ...or fuelled by thousands of years of watching football) your team is on the cusp of being exceptional Guy. I'm sure you are aware from training with the lads, that there is a pool of talent coming together at Brighton that can capably run rings around much of what the Championship has on offer.
A little adjustment here and there, a player or two shedding inhibitions and gaining confidence and Brighton and Hove Albion really ARE soon going to be tearing up the form books. We WILL have god-given right to beat 11 cloggers wearing dodgy outfits with us wearing stylish and fashionable blue-white stripes or deep raspberry.

That's the way I am seeing it mate, we really do look that good, that capable. All that some of us are itching for, is the potential that we see to reach fruition. Now, do I have an active imagination, or are the current Brighton squad seeping with unrequited talent? I did rub my eyes, and for all the world it looks like The Albion are greatness about to happen.
I think we do have a right to beat these sides nowadays, and I believe that these people in the crowd are seeing it too.

As for the Clough reference - remember he took a bunch of misfit underacheivers and turned them into Champions of Europe. Perhaps you are catching the parallels that some of the fans are beginning to catch?

Reality-check me if you like, but what I see happening here, is the start of a new reality. You are part of this club that scraped through some amazing scrapes to be where you are, but do you see what I see?

NMH (using a mates' p/c)

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Binney_on_acid said:
From my own visionary imagination (tempered ...or fuelled by thousands of years of watching football) your team is on the cusp of being exceptional Guy. I'm sure you are aware from training with the lads, that there is a pool of talent coming together at Brighton that can capably run rings around much of what the Championship has on offer.
A little adjustment here and there, a player or two shedding inhibitions and gaining confidence and Brighton and Hove Albion really ARE soon going to be tearing up the form books. We WILL have god-given right to beat 11 cloggers wearing dodgy outfits with us wearing stylish and fashionable blue-white stripes or deep raspberry.

That's the way I am seeing it mate, we really do look that good, that capable. All that some of us are itching for, is the potential that we see to reach fruition. Now, do I have an active imagination, or are the current Brighton squad seeping with unrequited talent? I did rub my eyes, and for all the world it looks like The Albion are greatness about to happen.
I think we do have a right to beat these sides nowadays, and I believe that these people in the crowd are seeing it too.

As for the Clough reference - remember he took a bunch of misfit underacheivers and turned them into Champions of Europe. Perhaps you are catching the parallels that some of the fans are beginning to catch?

Reality-check me if you like, but what I see happening here, is the start of a new reality. You are part of this club that scraped through some amazing scrapes to be where you are, but do you see what I see?

NMH (using a mates' p/c)

Im sorry i disagree - Brighton still have one of the weakest squads in the Championship - no disrespect to anyone but who would you rather have Rob Hulse or Jake Robinson - Ifil or Carole.
Im not saying the players in the squad are not good enough for this level - they clearly are but to say Brighton should be slapping teams is beyond belief.

staying up is the goal.

Shambles was a bit OTT from me - but I still remain very perplexed about the game, haven't been so confused about any game to such an extent for a fair while.

My main memories is still of us losing loads of individual battles in the game to Coventry and not really ever being in control, yet there is no doubt it all looked very good watching the goals on the Championship this morning.

Perhaps I just remain very unsure about accepting the downsides of the new attacking system, that it will make our play very loose at times and our midfield system vulnerable to fast counterattacks as much as other teams will be susceptible to raids by Carole and Jarrett.

If the policy is really to go out and win every game 4-3, I'm gonna have to try beta blockers to get me through matches :ohmy: :jester:

Last edited:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
London Irish said:
Shambles was a bit OTT from me - but I still remain very perplexed about the game, haven't been so confused about any game for a fair while.
I think the confusing thing was that we did lose so many battles, but only in defence. It was two closely matched teams, with better strike forces than their inadequate defences .

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
KinkyGoebels said:
Im sorry i disagree - Brighton still have one of the weakest squads in the Championship - no disrespect to anyone but who would you rather have Rob Hulse or Jake Robinson - Ifil or Carole.
Im not saying the players in the squad are not good enough for this level - they clearly are but to say Brighton should be slapping teams is beyond belief.

staying up is the goal.

For a start, I would rather have Carole than Ifill, yes. I'd rather have Carole because I think he's got more skill on the ground. As for Robinson, I also believe we have yet to see the best of him at his present age, and his potential is enormous. 'Should be slapping teams' is not what I said, but I do think we have the talent in this squad to stand alongside the rest of the Championship, and can forget about the mentality that "we have no right to beat these sides etc" now.
No, we won't beat anyone simply by turning up, but the potential in this club is brimming with talent, and I do think that a little confidence, a little tactical tweak, and the team will do great things.
Right now, the results suggest we deserve to be struggling again all season and are a good bet for the drop. The performances DON'T suggest that to me, and others in the stands are also thinking we are capable of great things but somehow are presently falling short.

Personally, I want to see Albert snap at a ball and send it toward their goal with sudden intent after beating their whole midfield and getting to the edge of the box, not necessarily risking it to a hopeful cross to the opposite byline.
I want to see Leon, Jake or Seb sending a defender the wrong way inside the box and getting a closer look at goal.

What will that take? I think all we need is an adjustment or two to tactics, and a bit of attention to our midfield.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Race said:
Im not making excuses here but hes still got stitches in his head from Tuesdays game, it might have been a small factor.

thats no excuse .. ironman like that !! :lolol: :lolol:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Race said:
thats fair enough but if you are going on chances squandered then i think that we would be near the top of the league.the gaffer has got the mentality (rightly or wrongly) that if teams score 1 or 2 goals against us then we are gonna try and score more goals than them.admirable, but it does leave you open at the back.would you rather like last year have tight games where we lose a few ,win a few,or this year be more consistent and dare i say entertaining(?)

I will take the latter any day Race/Tank ...prefer to lose 4-3 at end rather than 1-0 and if we stay up on goal diff goals scored or wahtever who gives a flying fcuk as long as we stay up

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Scotty M said:
i think reid will continue to look a shadow of the player he can be as long as he is at left back

But the alternatives are just not gonna hack it:

Kerry too slow...

Sam Rents too inexperienced (hopefully, will come good in future)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
I dont think reids done a bad job at all - considering he gets little help from jarrett

... and, for me, it is not Albert's PRIMARY role to defend... he just needs a good lb behind him to give him the freedom to do what he does best... this means hitting the loan market, which we should have done as soon as it was obvious that Dan Harding was leaving... i.e. in the summer... this would bring better balance to the side... sooner rather than later would be good...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I don't understand all the doom and gloom. I really enjoyed the game on Saturday. OK so we only got a point but we saw loads of attacking from both teams, plenty of good-to-watch football and 4 goals. I'd rather see that then a scrappy nil-nil any day.

There are many on here who like to repeat the other teams saying 'with respect, we should be beating teams like Brighton' and some of these same people are taking the attitude that we 'should be beating teams like Coventry'. Cut out the hypocrisy, wake up and smell the coffee.

Our squad is small (in more ways than one) and cost next to nothing - CKR excepted. We are probably good enough to survive but only just. If we do so while playing entertaining football like Saturday (and the previous 3/4 matches) then I, for one, will be very happy.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I'm not depressed and still think this is potentially the best Albion team for a decade or more. It needs time to develop and there will be ups and downs but already we are better placed in the league than at any other time during our seasons in the Championship.

Also entertaining football will keep the crowds pleased and buying tickets at a time when we are unlikely to be pressing for promotion nor want to be involved in a relegation scrap.

No need to change much except, personally feel CKR should start at Burnley with Robinson on the bench as an option with Turienzo if fit.

Shame Big Mac is injured as he might have suprised us this season in the same way as Jarrett has. Sometimes fans are too quick to write players off.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here