Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A bit of a shambles today

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Race said:
but thats his job and fair play to him he done it well,it's just that some of the crap that get's put on here makes me laugh.you are given specific jobs to do on the pitch. when you feel that you have done it but still draw or lose then it frustrates you to hear all the negatives come out.f*** me we survived by the skin of our teeth last year and people now expect us to be hammering teams week in week out.wake up it aint gonna happen.what makes me laugh the most though is the general cloughiness of most people.some of whom don't even go to a lot of the games.how can they comment.get used to the fact that in some games we will probably get smashed.others we will do the smashing,but at the end of the day as long as we survive then thats all that matters

(steps down from soap box)

I dont know which one of you has made that post, but it shows EXACTLY the right attitude. :clap2:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Christ a bad performance and the tactics that have been earning rave reviews for attacking flowing football should now be ripped up, bit drastic. Granted not at the game but it can't have been that bad, we were good in the second half against sheff utd using the same tactics

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have to agree with Race. We have a lot of new players and we have now scored 5 goals in 3 outings. I think the back 4 have looked exposed as we have driven forward to score goals but some minor tweaks and we have the basis of a team who can compete in this league. We actually look dangierous and like we can get back into games and score goals. Yes today it was frustrating at times but I for one am positive of our chances this season.

Coventrys tactics were spot on today and thsey took the game to us simple as that. We have a team that is gelling and competition for places which we have not had for a long time. Have some faith in MM and the team!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Race said:
but thats his job and fair play to him he done it well,it's just that some of the crap that get's put on here makes me laugh.you are given specific jobs to do on the pitch. when you feel that you have done it but still draw or lose then it frustrates you to hear all the negatives come out.f*** me we survived by the skin of our teeth last year and people now expect us to be hammering teams week in week out.wake up it aint gonna happen.what makes me laugh the most though is the general cloughiness of most people.some of whom don't even go to a lot of the games.how can they comment.get used to the fact that in some games we will probably get smashed.others we will do the smashing,but at the end of the day as long as we survive then thats all that matters

Fair enough Tank, you're right. The thing is it's been a joy to watch the exciting, attacking play of late and we've come to expect so much :lolol:

Whatever, we're scoring goals :clap2::clap2:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Race said:

Can't really disagree with that. From my vantage point the game could have gone either way. Both sets of defences had problems - the Albion with Adebola; Cov with Jarrett. What struck me was that I was looking at two sides that weren't going to amount to too much at the end of the season but had the ammunition to stay out of trouble.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was not bad at all but MA's team played like an MA team and they did give us problems, but as someone said earlier the system seems to work, it just needs tweeking. We will lose more than we win so a draw today against a team who may be down there with us ayt the end is much better than 3 for them and 0 for us. I was disappointed because maybe I was getting carried away with the potential rather than the reality :)

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Race said:

Totally agree Race, thought Guy had a reasonable game today but as McShane was poor, Guy was often left with two players to mark and had poor cover to back him up when clearing his lines. However, it's McShane's first poor
game so lets take a raincheck.

Thought Hammond was poor in terms of passing and positioning in the first half, once again, a rare poor game for him. Robinson I thought the game passed him by, and his telepathy with Knight was lacking today. Carole was quiet, but Jarrett had another stormer, scared the shit out of their full back. Hart had an excellent game, seems determined and fights for every ball. Reid had a poor game by his standards, and was prone to a few errors. Kazim added a physical dimension up front and deserves to start. The best of Robinson is yet to come, remember he's only young and maybe a game off will do him good.

Other posts seem to be raving over Adebola, yes he's fast, but his finishing is woeful.

A good performance from the ref today also.

Stick to this formation, and we will get the rewards. The last two teams we've played favour the physical approach, so no doubt we will be outmuscled on occasions, but against ball playing teams we will thrive - just watch the result against Norwich !!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Race said:

:clap:

I was satisfied with a draw. We always draw with Coventry (apart from the away game last season)

Blayney 7
Reid 6
McShane 6
Butters 6
Hart 7
Carole 6
Carpenter 5
Hammond 5
Jarrett 8
Knight 7
Robinson 5
Carole 7

CKR 7
Frutos 6

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i agree with a lot on here tonight,but felt dean hammond was a little of the pace today,i forget that he was nearly on his way in the summer,and we have been spoilt we his performances,but felt today wasnt one of his best,maybe carrying a knock,but sure he will be back to his best next game.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Blayney 7 - couldn't do anything with the goals
Reid 7 - did alright
Hart 8 - superb
Butters 6
Mcshane 6 - both discussed already, blame it on Adebola really, good player he was.
Hammond 6 - more involved today
Chippy 5 - very quiet today
Jarrett 8 - all our best play was through him
Carole 7 - very good again, not fully fit though
Knight 7 - lucky goal, but great all round workrate!
Jake 5 - quiet, not given service however, not his fault

CKR 7 - great goal, looked useful afterwards as well
Frutos 6 - bit harsh to judge him really

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
empire said:
i agree with a lot on here tonight,but felt dean hammond was a little of the pace today,i forget that he was nearly on his way in the summer,and we have been spoilt we his performances,but felt today wasnt one of his best,maybe carrying a knock,but sure he will be back to his best next game.

Totally agree Empire. He's been a shining light this season - look at the results since Oatway has been dropped and Deano moved into centre mid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Blayney 6 - Could have done better with the 2nd goal
Reid 7 - Good game, but looks a bit uneasy at LB
Hart 8 - superb
Butters 6 - Solid, nothing astonishing
Mcshane 6 - Unlucky to score OG
Hammond 7 - Midfield Workhorse
Chippy 5 - Gave the ball away far too much
Jarrett 8 - Spankingly good
Carole 7 - very good again, shows promise
Knight 7 - Good work from Leon
Jake 5 - Lacked a bit of power against big defenders. Missed a few chances

CKR 7 - Excellent improvement
Frutos 6 - Not much time to make an impact

We were almost suicidal at times. Giving the ball away on the edge of our box or in our own half. My heart stopped when Blayney threw the ball at the back of Reid (more talking needed)

Definitely two points lost, but could easily have been three points lost.

Great to be disappointed at getting just a point, shows how far we have come. Lets take all three up north.

Last edited:

Race said:

:D Nice reality check, and I agree 100 per cent with you about being realistic in managing our expectations, the 18th place we sit in the league tonight has lived up to mine thus far. But I thought Coventry were the better team today and I hope I'm not belittling you or anyone else in the team by saying that, it's just what I saw.

Not complaining about the slightly wasteful finishing by Scowcroft and Co, or the two good goals we scored, but I'm convinced we can play a lot better than we did today - and I'm sure we will once McGhee has given you all a big boot up the ar......I mean greater tactical refinement and a little bit of selectorial fine-tuning :)

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
thats fair enough but if you are going on chances squandered then i think that we would be near the top of the league.the gaffer has got the mentality (rightly or wrongly) that if teams score 1 or 2 goals against us then we are gonna try and score more goals than them.admirable, but it does leave you open at the back.would you rather like last year have tight games where we lose a few ,win a few,or this year be more consistent and dare i say entertaining(?)

Oh, we have definitely made progress since last season as far as I am concerned, that's not even worth discussing - the more defensive tactics of last season eventually got more and more exposed as the season wore on and we just about scraped home in the end after a big fright - we can't go back to that, (short of utter desperation).

That said, whether we persist with the current tactical approach of the last few games will ultimately depend on whether it gets us the points. It's looking promising so far, but there is a long way to go in the season and who knows what twists and turns await :)

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
your not wrong.my only worry at the moment is when the injuries start to happen.you know,the heavy pitches leading to mis-timed tackles.hopefully we'll have a big enough squad to cope with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here