Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A bit of a shambles today

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Scotty M said:
*cough* mccammon *cough*

In certain games, like Tues and today, we need players upfront who can fight muscle with muscle, I reckon a fit McGammon would have caused far more problems than Jake did today

*ducks behind parapet*

Last edited:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Icy Gull said:
In certain games, like Tues and today, we need players upfront who can fight muscle with muscle, I reckon a fit McGammon would have caused far more problems than Jake did today

*ducks behind parapet*

I agree. McCammon is a good option to have on the bench but maybe Turienzo will be that player we need?

Scotty M said:
*cough* mccammon *cough*

I would like us to be a multi-dimensional team and able to attack teams in different ways, the rapier of Robinson and Knight, the bludgeon of Big Mac and the mixture of those styles with CKR. It would be great to have all those options in the 16 players named for the match.

But cue the usual peurile response from those that celebrated Big Mac's injury on NSC this week :nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Adebola caused us all kinds of problems. I don't want to annoy Race, but i though Butters was absent today, Mcshane seemed to have to deal with everything1

CKR caused problems, and scored a Stunning goal. Definately a positive.

Jarrett was awesome until he switched wings, everything came through him.

Carole and OGH also were great, everyone else a bit average though

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
_wilka_ said:
I think the main problem today was Adebola, we just couldn't deal with him.

I've never seen a striker beat Butters in the air that much. Thats not knocking Guy but Adebola was the best target man striker I think i've ever seen at this level.

The whole defence looked very nervous with Reid and McShane having poor games.

Not sure if McShane was carrying a knock but he was off the pace.

Im not making excuses here but hes still got stitches in his head from Tuesdays game, it might have been a small factor.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Well, where are we ten games in?
From survival to promotion in four easy steps.

Step one -- stop losing to teams you should beat.

Step two -- start beating teams you should beat.

Step three -- stop losing to teams who should beat you. (Nicking that game from Sheffield U. would have been nice.)

Step four -- start beating teams who should beat you.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Withdean Wanderer said:
Adebola caused us all kinds of problems. I don't want to annoy Race, but i though Butters was absent today, Mcshane seemed to have to deal with everything1

You wont annoy me by saying that, but I listened to the game from start to finish and its not really what I was hearing, but there you go.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Race said:
You wont annoy me by saying that, but I listened to the game from start to finish and its not really what I was hearing, but there you go.

Fair enough, just my opinion. But then again i kept mixing up Mcshane and Chippy, so maybe that's why it seemed he had twice as much of the game!! :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Think you're being a tad harsh LI.

We could have won today, but we could have lost, so on balance, I'll settle for a point.

For me, today, we were exciting in our approach play, but as has happened against Plymouth, Sheff Utd and Coventry, we were wasteful in front of goal, or at least with the 'final ball'. It's all well and good having blinding wingers who can skin fullbacks at will, but either the cross is poor or the targets too minute.

BUT IT WILL COME.

Defensively, we were a bit shambolic today. Not blaming him, but Harty was too keen to get forward and subsequently was caught out of position. Adebola was the only player so far this season to come out on top against McShane - and fair play to him. That's not a criticism of McShane, if and when he returns to Manchester United, he will face better and more skilful forawrds than that - but today was a lesson for him.

Butters was far from anonymous - he was steady. For me, it was Reid who was the most frustrating. We have seen better from him, and will see better again.

We ARE creating chances, and it's great to watch. My main concern is that we have to learn to take them. One day, this season, we will do that and give someone a good hiding in the process.

Patience, dear friends. It could be worse.

Last edited:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Race said:
Im not making excuses here but hes still got stitches in his head from Tuesdays game, it might have been a small factor.

The main reason for me picking up on it is that I've not seen Guy out played in the air pretty much since he arrived at the club but I think the main reason was Adebola's performance.

Before the game my view of Adebola was that he was a bit of a donkey and nothing to worry about really but today he was head and shoulders above.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is Dele Adebola the guy who was at Crewe originally? If so I remember him taking us apart in a 4 or 5 goal shambles up there in which Nogan and Dean Wilkins were playing. How frigging old is he?:eek:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
_wilka_ said:
The main reason for me picking up on it is that I've not seen Guy out played in the air pretty much since he arrived at the club but I think the main reason was Adebola's performance.

Before the game my view of Adebola was that he was a bit of a donkey and nothing to worry about really but today he was head and shoulders above.

especially the two goals he got:p

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
oops!double sorry,like a lot of you i must have been watching a different game:shootself

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Withdean Wanderer ?was you at the game today?McShane was bloody awful today.He looked slow and out of his depth today.It was a really poor performance by him

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Sorry tank.Adebola led the line for Conventry today and our defenders were scared of him.They couldn't get near him today

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
rogue said:
Withdean Wanderer ?was you at the game today?McShane was bloody awful today.He looked slow and out of his depth today.It was a really poor performance by him

yes i was. And where abouts have i said i thought Mcshane played well? I just thought that he seemed to have to cope with so much, in comparision to Butters who i didn't really notice throughout the game.....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
McShane is at the bottom of a huge learning curve and he struggled against the power of Adebola. If he was the usual kind of tall powerful forward that stood still and flicked on headers we would have been able to put Butters man for man on him (although even Guy struggled with him today). I was suprised to see how mobile Adebola was he caused all of the back four problems today and was even on hand to defend for them as well.

McShane has been class all season and was simply given a lesson today but he is young and will learn from it

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
but thats his job and fair play to him he done it well,it's just that some of the crap that get's put on here makes me laugh.you are given specific jobs to do on the pitch. when you feel that you have done it but still draw or lose then it frustrates you to hear all the negatives come out.f*** me we survived by the skin of our teeth last year and people now expect us to be hammering teams week in week out.wake up it aint gonna happen.what makes me laugh the most though is the general cloughiness of most people.some of whom don't even go to a lot of the games.how can they comment.get used to the fact that in some games we will probably get smashed.others we will do the smashing,but at the end of the day as long as we survive then thats all that matters

(steps down from soap box)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here