Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I still think ONE match should be selected were a concerted effort is made by fans to encourage one or two people that don't normally go to come along.

This could get a good few extra hundred people on the gate and the better the atmosphere the better the chance that they might come back, or even tell others that it wasn't actually that bad and persuade them to come along too!

Also, it would be good to see what could be achieved if everybody worked towards the same objective. A kind of "Fans United" day, but specifically targeted at getting lapsed Albion fans back to Withdean.

Pick a game and set an objective of an additional 1000 supporters over and above the average attendence figure?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes. I like bring-a-mate scheme. Perhaps 1/2 price and/or discount at the club shop?

Good idea, Bry. A fans united type day, but for Albion fans.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dave the Gaffer said:
Personally I think people have fallen out of love with the Albion.

I give you an example;

My next door neighbour was an Executive Club Member at The Goldstone, would travel to all the games, put money into the club when needed and was as passionate as can be. When the Goldstone was sold and we went to Gillingham, he went a couple of times and decided that the fare on offer was crap and begrudged spending the money. When we returned to Withdean, he was contacted by the club to come back in the fold, new start and all that, but his entusiasm had gone. A couple of years ago, we were talking and I said I had a spare ticket would he like to go? he agreed and we went - sitting in the South Stand. the game was good ( Sunderland I think it was) atmos not too bad. BUT, at the end of the game he thanked me and said that although he had enjoyed it, he couldn't believe how expensive it was and thoght Withdean a dump. Suffice it to say, he has not been since.

Now most people on here will say " well f*** him" and that is perfectly fair, however most of his mates also have moved on and these were the very people we were trying to lure back, the so called "investor brigade"

I have lost count of how many times people have said that they heard me on the radio and they listened to the commentary, but when I say, why dont you come along, they are almost to a man dismissive.

These are the lost generation of fans we must try hard to bring back.

Nearly right - it is Withdean people have fallen out with I am afraid.

BIRCHYBOY27

Nov 25, 2005
brighton
me and five season ticket holders go all the time i reckon we could all bring a mate for half price extra 6 people i think it could work:p

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dave the Gaffer said:
Personally I think people have fallen out of love with the Albion.

I give you an example;

My next door neighbour was an Executive Club Member at The Goldstone, would travel to all the games, put money into the club when needed and was as passionate as can be. When the Goldstone was sold and we went to Gillingham, he went a couple of times and decided that the fare on offer was crap and begrudged spending the money. When we returned to Withdean, he was contacted by the club to come back in the fold, new start and all that, but his entusiasm had gone. A couple of years ago, we were talking and I said I had a spare ticket would he like to go? he agreed and we went - sitting in the South Stand. the game was good ( Sunderland I think it was) atmos not too bad. BUT, at the end of the game he thanked me and said that although he had enjoyed it, he couldn't believe how expensive it was and thoght Withdean a dump. Suffice it to say, he has not been since.

Now most people on here will say " well f*** him" and that is perfectly fair, however most of his mates also have moved on and these were the very people we were trying to lure back, the so called "investor brigade"

I have lost count of how many times people have said that they heard me on the radio and they listened to the commentary, but when I say, why dont you come along, they are almost to a man dismissive.

These are the lost generation of fans we must try hard to bring back.

You have hit the nail on the head. For a lot of people going to football becomes a habit. Ask many if they really enjoy the occasion and the answer is no but they still turn up. Once the habit is broken, and time moves on they find other things to do. The club is in a differcult position as we all know because its very hard to reignite that habit when you are asking them to pay a lot of money to come to a shit hole and watch 3rd tier football in the middle of winter.When I've had spare tickets in the past and offered them to friends they still did not want to come due to the "withdean" factor. As has been proven time and time again a new ground equates to better attendances and we have to tread water until this happens. Just hope its not too long!

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Although we can't sell tickets at the ground. Is there anyway we could run a lucky programme competion, pay £20 for a programme and if your lucky it will contain a free entry voucher to that match? ;)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What about a draw for the seat number at each game? Winner gets a free ticket or hospitality for a fixture of their choice.

To run concurrently with the Withdean Wager.

A scarf waving day? Try and get a local business - American Express/L&G to donate some money to cover the cost of blue and white scarves....

Local car dealer (e.g. Frosts) - free car if you hit the bar from the half way line???

BIRCHYBOY27

Nov 25, 2005
brighton
how about everyone buys a family member or friend a ticket for yeovil for christmas you can take a mate along and then they may want to come again and you will prob get a free pint as well!!:drink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Another possibility is a tie up with Friday-Ad. They have shops in most towns around Sussex. Why can't the ticket office set up the purchasing of tickets from these shops. Surely the computer system can't be that differcult to manage. Especially as one of our main investors owns Friday-Ad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The priority has got to be bums on seats rather than coming close to breaking even on the gate. Dave's comment is the warning - the club cannot afford to have too many people falling out of love with the Albion.

Sad to say that it is unfortunately beginning to appear that the club has backed the wrong horse regarding Falmer. Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but everytime LDC manage to push back the day of reckoning, it seems that there are fewer and fewer local people who give a toss about the plight of the club.

I don't blame the club over Falmer but it does need to fill the seats and that is the fault of those in charge. Oddly enough, the experience for kids is actually quite good, but we need it filled. If that means paying a tenner a seat and giving current STHs priority over where to buy their season tix at Falmer if it ever gets built (along with a loyalty discount), then so be it.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Large One said:
You ARE wrong. :)
Yes Yorkie, I'm sure I am.

When did we first move to WITHERS? 1999 wasn't it? :( So even it Falmer was granted NOW, that means we'll have been stuck here for at least a decade.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:

When did we first move to WITHERS? 1999 wasn't it? :( So even it Falmer was granted NOW, that means we'll have been stuck here for at least a decade.
Yeah, let's just do exactly what LDC want and give up.:dunce:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Simster said:

Yorkie? Bleedin' wierdo.

What's the point you're making? That if we'd gone for a different site, we would be playing there by now? Give over.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Large One said:
Yorkie? Bleedin' wierdo.

What's the point you're making? That if we'd gone for a different site, we would be playing there by now? Give over.
:D

But in answer to your question, how do you know? ???

And COLIN, I'm saying we should do what LDC say we should do AM I? All I'm actually saying is that it isn't the stay away fans "fault" that gates are so low.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
All I'm actually saying is that it isn't the stay away fans "fault" that gates are so low.
OK - I think I get it now: It isn't the fault of people that don't go to games...that people aren't going to games. OK. That's clear. Even on a Monday.:jester:

Withdean's not always THAT bad, FFS. And besides, if you're a real Albion fan, that's all we have. We'll have to live with it for it for now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here