Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Dave the Gaffer said:
Alan, forgive me, but why is that everytime someone suggests something that is not the party line, you resort to insulting them.

Has it not occurred to you that there are many people out there is the real world who think, rightly or wrongly, that LDC have a point.

The idea of reasoned argument is just that....insulting people just gets people's backs up doesn't it!

Never a truer word Dave.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
following on from that, in Mile oak,there is a guy who is a Chelsea fan and he has started taking a group of local kids up there on the train.

Three of them went to the Albion a few times last year and this and have been bitten by the premiership bug.....the problem here is that their mums and dads have said that they will start going with them, so from 2 blokes going to Chelsea, there will be about 15 of them soon.

What with Charlton offering to take kids from our local school to the Valley for a £10 and free entrance and a programme and a bottle of coke, how the hell do we compete with that?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
following on from that, in Mile oak,there is a guy who is a Chelsea fan and he has started taking a group of local kids up there on the train.

Three of them went to the Albion a few times last year and this and have been bitten by the premiership bug.....the problem here is that their mums and dads have said that they will start going with them, so from 2 blokes going to Chelsea, there will be about 15 of them soon.

What with Charlton offering to take kids from our local school to the Valley for a £10 and free entrance and a programme and a bottle of coke, how the hell do we compete with that?
Agreed. There is an aspect of marketing here that the Albion cannot cope with.

In other words, Chelsea have saturated blanket coverage of their product, courtesy of Sky Sports and the newspapers and football magazines, as far down as every banal utterance and comment from Stanford Bridge quoted and dissected ad nauseum.

The Albion do offer deals to schools and clubs, but when the kids are bombarded with the glamour of the Premiership, it's hard to get them to turn their heads towards supporting Brighton. It seems to take some will power with the peer pressure the kids have to suffer to get them to come here - and well done those that do.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
Read the original post, and my response to Dave's point, and you'll realise that truer words have been spoken.

I didnt say I agreed with your post, I just chose not to answer it.

For all the posturing with LDC, we will see if the people of Lewes are as voiciferous in their condemnation of LDC when the elections happen and our candidates are put before the electorate. if the people of Lewes believe LDC are liars and wasting their money as people on here believe, then we will have an outstanding chance to defeat them and run a local council. Which will be absolutely fantastic. If on the other hand they think LDC have a point, they wont!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
I didnt say I agreed with your post, I just chose not to answer it.

For all the posturing with LDC, we will see if the people of Lewes are as voiciferous in their condemnation of LDC when the elections happen and our candidates are put before the electorate. if the people of Lewes believe LDC are liars and wasting their money as people on here believe, then we will have an outstanding chance to defeat them and run a local council. Which will be absolutely fantastic. If on the other hand they think LDC have a point, they wont!
Agreed again. It's also up to us (or rather the Seagulls Party) to show people of Lewes that they don't have a point.

Last edited:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I think we are beating ourselves up over our attendances, but obviously to the club more bums through the gate would mean alot due to the witdean situation.

After looking through the attendances on saturday we had more through our gates than 80% of the other teams, the teams that had more are at clubs like Carlisle where they have a feeling of being on the up after slipping down to the conference and Blackpool who have been on a run of form and have made significant changes to their stadium.

At the moment there is still a feeling of apathy around the club we went down under MM playing defensive footy which turned people off that coinsiding with the on going falmer debacle has switched people off. This Im sure will change towards the second half of the season if Dean can get some consitancy in our results.

We are never going to get the crowds we did at the goldstone for comparitive games due to awkwardness of getting tickets and the fact that there is no roof and many views are shite.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Dave the Gaffer said:
following on from that, in Mile oak,there is a guy who is a Chelsea fan and he has started taking a group of local kids up there on the train
When you walk home slaughtered after a night out are you ever tempted to put his windows out?
:jester:

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Man of Harveys said:
So how do you know it's been crap recently (because it hasn't, always)? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: It's like the bloke who said it was crap last week without having been recently, which Lokki pointed out was daft.

And besides, I sometimes quite like slumming it in the cold and wet with the great south stand unwashed. Just not at the moment...

In the thread last week you said it was great at The Withdean these days, someone else even said I was really missing out, well I went on Saturday night and I thought it was crap, froze my nuts off and thought the footy was awful, Id have rather not wasted my time and stayed at home with the missus and little boy in London.

Sorry but even if the footy had been half decent Id have struggled to enjoy myself in that ground.

Im afraid every year we are there the crowds are going to get worse, regardless of division.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Man of Harveys said:
OK - I think I get it now: It isn't the fault of people that don't go to games...that people aren't going to games. OK. That's clear. Even on a Monday.:jester:

Withdean's not always THAT bad, FFS. And besides, if you're a real Albion fan, that's all we have. We'll have to live with it for it for now.

Precisely. Apart from the lack of cover, Withdean is not all that bad, and to put it bluntly is better than some of the places I have been following this club. The food has improved, at least in the South Stand, the view is excellent (and remember most fans are still in there), and the toilets are a vast improvement on the Goldstone (yes, I still miss the place horribly, feel awful when I get off at Hove Station, and still have the same feelings towards Bellotti and Archer). As good as it was to stand at Doncaster, and yes, I know they are getting a new stadium, Belle Vue was a dump and so are many lower league grounds. Provided there is no rain, rare enough I admit, watching a match there is no worse than many places. I can't wait to get out of there and into our own stadium, but as MoH says, we're stuck with it for now. If you love the club, get your ass down there!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I know that to many football is now the 'entertainment industry' and therefore people will go expecting something that the club cannot deliver in terms of hi comfort and luxury - BUT in my experience, the times when I have most felt like not going to see games for a while have more to do with other factors rather than the stadium.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There are too many excuses from ex-fans. There are too many wimps around these days. There was a letter in the Sports Argus saying the weather was atrocious on Tuesday, when in fact it was a pleasantly mild evening with no more than a 30 second shower.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
dougdeep said:
There are too many excuses from ex-fans. There are too many wimps around these days. There was a letter in the Sports Argus saying the weather was atrocious on Tuesday, when in fact it was a pleasantly mild evening with no more than a 30 second shower.
If/when we get Falmer the excuse will be that it is such a long train journey.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
mona said:
If/when we get Falmer the excuse will be that it is such a long train journey.

Don't worry, you can bet that there will be hundreds of complaints 'I wouldn't have built it there', 'why can't I drive straight to the front door', 'why do I have to get my tickets from train stations or park and ride sites on match days'

and so on, and so on and so on......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Premiersh1te has loads to answer for, as you know I run ASC Strikers.

The U7s manager has arranged a club trip to Pikesmouth v Arsenal at the end of the season and there seems to be a lot of interest- two coaches I think.

In Minis U9s rarely is there a Brighton shirt bar his plus another NSC member's son.

I tried to ban Premiersh1te shirts at training last season for the U14s and got rounded on by Mums who has purchased latest Chelsea / Liverpool and whatever shirts.

We cannot compete in our own back yard

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Beach Hut said:
Premiersh1te has loads to answer for, as you know I run ASC Strikers.

The U7s manager has arranged a club trip to Pikesmouth v Arsenal at the end of the season and there seems to be a lot of interest- two coaches I think.

In Minis U9s rarely is there a Brighton shirt bar his plus another NSC member's son.

I tried to ban Premiersh1te shirts at training last season for the U14s and got rounded on by Mums who has purchased latest Chelsea / Liverpool and whatever shirts.

We cannot compete in our own back yard

I know what you mean, but to be honest, the biggest influence is peer pressure. I have friends who have come to games and have come back (due to drinks pre match, a bit of a laugh etc. - the game is secondary in many cases providing the experience isn't uncomfortable like wet and cold). However there are people who profess to be albion fans who would drive me to stop coming with their inane negativity.

Now if these people are ambassadors for the club the heaven help us. The trouble is that fans are the ambassadors in selling the club, they are also the prime 'terrorists' in preventing others.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Peer pressure is awful - I could name and shame an ex Albion player who has a son who wears a Chelski shirt to training :( :ohmy: :nono: :eek:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ROSM said:
'why do I have to get my tickets from train stations or park and ride sites on match days'

and so on, and so on and so on......

Dont say things like that, you will get accused of spreading malicious falsehoods on the radio.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Dave the Gaffer said:
Dont say things like that, you will get accused of spreading malicious falsehoods on the radio.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sorry Dave don't understand what you are going on about. I dont think anybody has said anything about malicious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here