Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Squad

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Theo Walcott - not considered good enough for a single substitute appearance in any competition by the manager of the fourth best team in the country, but considered good enough for a place in England's World Cup squad.

Absolute f***ing madness.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
If the money was the sole compensation for SWP to be at Chelsea, he'll now be paying one of the heftiest prices possible - missing out on the world cup - for the awful, awful decision he took to join them. It's such a pisser, I think he could have made a real difference if fully fit but you can't really blame Sven for not picking him either.
I still don't blame SWP or think he went just for the money. Any player with belief in their own ability would have gone I think.

But it is a shame. :down:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Theo Walcott - not considered good enough for a single substitute appearance in any competition by the manager of the fourth best team in the country, but considered good enough for a place in England's World Cup squad.

It's difficult to argue with that TLB.

Walcott is, without doubt, a fantastic prospect - I've seen him play a few times and he is LIGHTNING quick which is, I guess, the reason for his selection - our chief weapon is surprise and all that.

We will see

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Andy Johnson on Stand by:(

Surely on that basis Marlon King should be going! A really Strange choice that Bent isn't on stand by. Even Stranger than picking Walcott.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Walcott is a brilliant gamble. Defoe and Bent are in no way special, this kid just might be and he has pace, the one thing a great forward needs, that is frightening. Well done Sven, now have the balls to play him :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Thats a brave old squad. Think it shows that he will probably go 4-5-1.

Glad he left out Defoe and bent. Walcott is a strange one but he is a unknown, who outside the UK will have heard of him?
Tend to agree with that, Defoe and Bent are good players but they are not world class internationals.

I know this is heresy but I think far from having a so-called 'golden generation' English football is pretty weak at the moment. A fit Rooney aside that is arguably the worst squad we have sent to a W.C. final.

Last edited:

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
young stars tend to do well for us in major competitions, but owen in 1998 and Rooney were already established first team players, Walcott is certainly not.
We may all be wrong, Sven's farewell gamble may pay off

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
Munchkin said:
Agree with the 4-5-1 comment

---------------Robinson--------------------

Neville----Ferdinand----Terry---- J Cole
----------------Carrick------------------------
Beckham----Lampard----Gerrard----J Cole

----------------Owen----------------------------

joe cole going to be a busy boy :jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
So basically our front line could well be

Crouch

Got help us :lolol:

To quote yesterday's Times...

''Crouch’s five appearances for England have ended with five wins. The team has scored 10 goals in the 231 minutes (less than 2Å matches of playing time) he has spent on the field. His beneficial effect on Michael Owen, who has scored five times in 180 minutes operating alongside the big chap, is striking.

At home against Poland, Crouch came on with 23 minutes remaining and the score went from 1-1 to 2-1; against Argentina in Geneva, his 10 minutes as a substitute saw England go from 2-1 down to 3-2 winners; his last appearance was 25 minutes against Uruguay, during which he scored and helped turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win.

On statistics alone, there should be little debate about whom Sven-Göran Eriksson should pick instead of Rooney — unless you want to argue that Crouch’s impact coming off the bench is so extraordinary that it would be a pity to lose him as an “impact sub”.
''

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
here it is......

Provisional squad:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Totenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby:
Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:

But he's at Arsenal. Not many English players are good enough for Arsenal. Who out of Arsenal's foreign contingent would you swap for an Englishman in the equivalent position?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Donkey Hoaty said:
Whats'the point in looking at the future, Sven is off after the world cup and we need a squad that can win it now.

Thought he might have included a few more strikers seeing hoe things don't look too good for Rooney and Owen.

Hargreaves:censored:
Walcott:censored: CKR has more 1st team experience than him.
I think it's a very bold and exciting selection, picking ( for the most part) our form players. Downing, Lennon and Walcott won't start will they but clearly they're players who have huge skill, pace and flair. One of them just might do something when we need a goal in the last few minutes. Well done Sven.
Are you really saying CKR should be going to the World Cup based on experience ?? !!

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Icy Gull said:
I think Walcott is a brilliant gamble. Defoe and Bent are in no way special, this kid just might be and he has pace, the one thing a great forward needs, that is frightening. Well done Sven, now have the balls to play him :clap: :clap:

agreed he hs real pace

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hannibal smith said:
Andy Johnson on Stand by:(

Surely on that basis Marlon King should be going! A really Strange choice that Bent isn't on stand by. Even Stranger than picking Walcott.
Marlon King's Jamaican caps will count against him though. :p
But Defoe and Johnson over Bent beggars belief.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having had a few minutes to look at it, I think I like it.

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
At last a bit of excitement from Sven! I think the gamble on Walcott and Lennon will be justified.

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
Owen Hargreaves........how does he consistently make squads i don't think i have ever seen such a shit international player:angry: :tosser:

not sure about Walcott but he could make similar impact in germany as owen did in france.

I like the inclusion of downing as he could play the wide left freeing up joe cole to come into rooneys role behind owen.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Silent Bob said:
Hargreaves. :cool:

Walcott in over Bent, Defoe, Harewood ???

spot on, Hargreaves was injured earlier in the season but has returned with great form and plays in a side arguably as good as any in the premiership. and more regularly than many players who are definites in the squad.

Walcott could be the new owen in 98, or Rooney in 2002. . . .we don't know, but I'd have put Darren Bent in, one of the premierships top scorers this season. :clap:

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
4 forwards?
owen=could struggle to be fit
rooney=WILL strugle to be fit
wallcott=no premiership start
crouch=oh my god

owen hargreaves=WTF?
:nono: