Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brie
Stilton
Goat's cheese
Manchego
Mild Cheddar

DanielT

What was starting to look like a futile search for a piece of Roquefort almost resulted in Christmas at Bracknell Towers being ruined - until I eventually managed to track down the few packs left in Tescos. I got no help from the otherwise very pleasant woman on the cheese counter at Waitrose, who simply told me that Roquefort was "disgusting stuff".
Roquefort
Stilton
Gorgonzola

Firstly, name and shame the branch calling Roquefort disgusting!!

St Agur is up there with the Roquefort and I'm partial to a bit of Dolcelatte. Soft, blue, stinky!

Also, trippy dreams after eating those cheeses too late at night!

That'll be the branch advertising a vacancy on the cheese counter then :lol:
One of the best things about a well-staffed cheese counter is that you can be served by someone who has opinions about what they are selling. Especially because it is cheese. No two people share the same likes and dislikes. Nor should they.

I forgive.

Years and years ago, in a different branch of the same store, I asked the young lad behind the counter for two ounces of parmesan. He picked up a big lump of the stuff, looked at it and pronounced it to be "a bit hard and stale". Would I mind having the whole chunk of it and he'd only charge me for two ounces?

That's what you get if you allow a young nincompoop to serve cheese. I forgive him as well, though.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Turned out to be a cranberry roulé!

That sounds vile.

It suprises me so many say St Agur. Yes it is a tasty blue cheese but imo it is also maily marketing. Its very similar in taste to Yorkshire Blue but not as good a texture.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can I just say the Colston Bassett went down far too well with my fellow diners yesterday and I ended up taking home very little of it...... :annoyed:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Must say I'm very impressed with the eclectic tastes and equally extensive knowledge displayed on here. I was really conservative with some vintage welsh cheddar, a young creamy lancashire, ported stilton, camembert, brie, and some manchego to go with chorizo for my snack (washed down with some white rioja) this lunchtime

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I ate too much Gorgonzola on xmas eve and deeply regretted in through the early hours of xmas day. Jesus who needs Ex-Lax.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Must say I'm very impressed with the eclectic tastes and equally extensive knowledge displayed on here. I was really conservative with some vintage welsh cheddar, a young creamy lancashire, ported stilton, camembert, brie, and some manchego to go with chorizo for my snack (washed down with some white rioja) this lunchtime

Just looked up what Ported Stilton is - if it tastes as good as it sounds that is my version of Cheese Heaven! :love:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just looked up what Ported Stilton is - if it tastes as good as it sounds that is my version of Cheese Heaven! :love:

pretentious maybe but tastes bloody lovely - there's a deli near me that does a whole stilton with port every christmas (I guess it doesn't sell any other time of the year)and sells you as much or as little as you want until it's gone

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This must go against the grain.
But, has anyone else, dipped into the mango chutney to go along with arse kicking cheddar and crackers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mycella (which is a creamy form of Danish Blue if I could get it any more).
Canadian Cheddar (if I could get it, now for a seriously strong cheese: McClelland)

which roughly translated you have to pay through the nose to get any decent cheese in England.

http://www.cheese.com/all.asp

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here