Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would argue that a personal ideology is a closed mind and that values and standards shift over time. My goal is not to have a fixed view of anything really. Well, apart from refusing to shop at ASDA until they stock rich tea fingers again.
Surely ideologies can shift over time? It’s also a term that can be political, economic, ecological, philosophical. If your goal is not to have a fixed view of anything, sad to say you can probably call that an ideology or sorts, perhaps a bit nihilistic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Doesn't really matter who you SAY you vote for, you are still comfortably, the worst EVER moderator on this forum. Have a nice evening.
Coming from a man who called Bozza c***ish and had a dig at Lord Bracknell’s moderation I’ll take that as a compliment 👍

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Coming from a man who called Bozza c***ish and had a dig at Lord Bracknell’s moderation I’ll take that as a compliment 👍
Deleted. Had second thoughts about opening up this argument with cjd again.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I believe he has called every moderator the worst and c***ish at some point. He's consistent, I'll give him that

Can't imagine where that sort of anger comes from though :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you really think they kicked off with the callous targeting of the nation's poorest ? I thought that similar to myself, you agreed with the policy but disagreed with the cut off level.

And I agree with the statement, but it's a bit like the term 'working people', completely open to interpretation. So, what actual areas do you think should be targeted ?
Yes, yes I do.

The government have had representations from numerous informed people and organisations explaining the harm that the policy, as enacted, is going to do. And let's not forget Labour's own research, stating thousands of deaths are possible from this exact policy, presented when they believed the Tories were going to do the same.

So, if the government had shown they can listen, reflect, say "this needs a tweak" and acted in line with that, then terms such as "callous" and "cruel" would be wide of the mark. But they haven't. At least not yet, and time is running out.

So, yes, I agree with the removal of the allowance from wealthy pensioners. I agree that the cut-off is far too low, but I can't just move on. What remains in place is literally an old person killer.

As for how funds are raised - I'm both politically and economically naive. I would like to think I'm similar to most in that I'm happy to do my bit so long as the bigger picture appears relatively fair and balanced. Starmer talked the talk when he spoke about those with broad shoulders, he now needs to walk that walk.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I did at the time and I stand by that, the way they treated that subject.

Out and out bullying on this forum isn't great. It happens with the posters. I'm a poster.

But it shouldn't happen if you are a Moderator. That surely is one of your responsibilities. You have consistently IMHO, failed in that duty and you personally have been one of the most obnoxious Moderators I have had the misfortune to cross swords with at any time.

You bully, you mock, you spend hours going through previous posts to find the weak link, you close off threads only after you have had the final word. Your obsession with supporting the Labour Party and defending the indefensible, has been embarrassing the way you have tried to deflect and ignore justifiable criticisms they have recently ( the last 100 days ) received.

I cannot think of anyone on this forum less suited to be a Moderator .

For your information, ( yet again ), I haven't voted Tory for at least 20 year and probably 30 years.

The huge majority that the Labour Party obtained in the last election was a disaster just waiting to happen. And the splinters will continue to expand in that Party. I just hope they don't continue to make a complete f*** up of everything, which MAY, heaven help us, let in Reform.

I wish others had the ability to see what else is happening in Europe. I live in France. They have whined as much as they have in the UK (and Herr Tubthumpers glorious f***ing Germany ). The underlying problem has been Covid and Ukraine. Britain just managed to make matters worse with Brexit....aided and abetted by that f***ing idiot Corbyn The United Kingdom was culpable in that decision, not just the Tories.

Nobody, at present wants to pay anything towards a better society. Everybody, needs to have a reality check with what is actually achievable whether it be poverty, education, WFA, or the NHS. YOU and several others of your ilk, think an inexperienced chancellor, full of bollocks, errors, mis-understanding of financial institutions can achieve that.

Laughable.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, yes I do.

The government have had representations from numerous informed people and organisations explaining the harm that the policy, as enacted, is going to do. And let's not forget Labour's own research, stating thousands of deaths are possible from this exact policy, presented when they believed the Tories were going to do the same.

So, if the government had shown they can listen, reflect, say "this needs a tweak" and acted in line with that, then terms such as "callous" and "cruel" would be wide of the mark. But they haven't. At least not yet, and time is running out.

So, yes, I agree with the removal of the allowance from wealthy pensioners. I agree that the cut-off is far too low, but I can't just move on. What remains in place is literally an old person killer.

As for how funds are raised - I'm both politically and economically naive. I would like to think I'm similar to most in that I'm happy to do my bit so long as the bigger picture appears relatively fair and balanced. Starmer talked the talk when he spoke about those with broad shoulders, he now needs to walk that walk.

I'm sorry but I think claiming to be politically and economically naive is a cop out from actually naming the areas to tax. I believe, as you have shown on this thread today, that you have as much knowledge on the economy, taxes etc as most on NSC. But I'm guessing that, not for the first time, we'll have to agree to disagree :wink:

Me, I'd bang those two NI cuts back on, that the previous government desperately cut in January and April this year for starters, and then rejoin the CU but that's why I'd never make it as a politician :laugh:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sorry but I think claiming to be politically and economically naive is a cop out from actually naming the areas to tax. I believe, as you have shown on this thread today, that you have as much knowledge on the economy, taxes etc as most on NSC. I'm guessing that, not for the first time, we'll have to agree to disagree :wink:

Me, I'd bang those two NI cuts back on, that the previous government desperately cut in January and April this year for starters, but that's why I'd never make it as a politician :laugh:
I really don't.

For example, I could tell you nothing at all about capital gains tax nor inheritance tax - what values it starts at, what rates it is payable at, nor the get-outs.

Actually, that's a small lie, I heard Martin Lewis on 5Live say that only 4% of estates are subject to inheritance tax, which is remarkably low. It's really not an issue for many people at all, is it?

I do think that the tax burden on working people (whoever they are) is made up of more than just the big three, though - you may have seen me mention that once or twice today if you've been reading carefully. 😆

Whilst I'd personally have no problem in paying a bit more tax or NI to help bring the NHS back to where it needs to be, re-build crumbling schools and ensure public workers are paid appropriately etc, we know Labour won't do that, at least not as a very last resort.

Perception is key, though. Times are tough, so just make sure that most right-minded folk look at the overall set of changes and don't feel that they are being harshly treated, whilst recognising you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Was the “Fully costed, fully funded and ready to go“ election guff the absolute bullshit I thought it was at the time?

I was all for giving the toolmakers son a go but am currently seriously underwhelmed by him and his cohorts

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
:lolol:

Sounds like the title of a travel program.
:lolol:

Sounds like the title of a travel program.
Having spent 3 and a half years living/working in East/West Germany, it's the only country I have been to that I never want to go back to.

Lots of lovely places to visit and probably the nicest Europeans I have ever met. However, it's foreboding, too hot in the summer and far too cold in the bitter winters.

And lastly......they are so obedient. It is no wonder they allowed 11 million people to go to their deaths in the gas chambers etc etc etc. Having visited Buchenwald a few times.....never to be forgotten.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having spent 3 and a half years living/working in East/West Germany, it's the only country I have been to that I never want to go back to.

Lots of lovely places to visit and probably the nicest Europeans I have ever met. However, it's foreboding, too hot in the summer and far too cold in the bitter winters.
Herr Tubthumper knee slides the full length of his lounge and does does repeated fist pumps.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Herr Tubthumper knee slides the full length of his lounge and does does repeated fist pumps.
My apologies for the late edit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
TumbleI did at the time and I stand by that, the way they treated that subject.

Out and out bullying on this forum isn't great. It happens with the posters. I'm a poster.

But it shouldn't happen if you are a Moderator. That surely is one of your responsibilities. You have consistently IMHO, failed in that duty and you personally have been one of the most obnoxious Moderators I have had the misfortune to cross swords with at any time.

You bully, you mock, you spend hours going through previous posts to find the weak link, you close off threads only after you have had the final word. Your obsession with supporting the Labour Party and defending the indefensible, has been embarrassing the way you have tried to deflect and ignore justifiable criticisms they have recently ( the last 100 days ) received.

I cannot think of anyone on this forum less suited to be a Moderator .

For your information, ( yet again ), I haven't voted Tory for at least 20 year and probably 30 years.

The huge majority that the Labour Party obtained in the last election was a disaster just waiting to happen. And the splinters will continue to expand in that Party. I just hope they don't continue to make a complete f*** up of everything, which MAY, heaven help us, let in Reform.

I wish others had the ability to see what else is happening in Europe. I live in France. They have whined as much as they have in the UK (and Herr Tubthumpers glorious f***ing Germany ). The underlying problem has been Covid and Ukraine. Britain just managed to make matters worse with Brexit....aided and abetted by that f***ing idiot Corbyn The United Kingdom was culpable in that decision, not just the Tories.

Nobody, at present wants to pay anything towards a better society. Everybody, needs to have a reality check with what is actually achievable whether it be poverty, education, WFA, or the NHS. YOU and several others of your ilk, think an inexperienced chancellor, full of bollocks, errors, mis-understanding of financial institutions can achieve that.

Laughable.
Interesting because here’s you parroting Reform’s argument based on the Great Replacement Theory several years before they existed.

We are not a 'predominantly' Muslim country......yet.

And here’s your outraged response to Truss killing the economy on the Tory meltdown thread.

:tumble:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here