Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And you still haven't said 'where' this money should come from because, in your words, you are too 'politically and economically naive'
What I gathered during the campaign is that, Labour, when challenged, said the money would come from “growth.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And you still haven't said 'where' this money should come from because, in your words, you are too 'politically and economically naive'
You're being slightly ridiculous now.

I genuinely have no idea. I don't know how much "this money" is, nor what the full range of options are. Rachel Reeves will announce changes to / new tax-raising mechanisms on things I've never heard of before.

I can give you a broad "make sure the large corporations, particularly the tax-evading ones and those taking in billions from gas, oil and electricity get appropriately treated", along with "target the rich, and change your poor-targeting ways" if it helps.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Amusingly, it seems that the punched man was arguing about WFA. The puncher had been to a police meeting about community safety before drinking.

• Wow
Reactions: cjd

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You seem to have a bit of a thing for him. Maybe talk to someone about your feelings?
I'm really sorry for my words.

Unfortunately, when I was young I didn't like ****s'

When I was middle-aged, I still didn't like ****s.

Now I'm old....I still don't like ****s.

I'm destined not to change now, I'm afraid.

Just one of those things.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
There was a lot of talk about productivity pre and post election from the Government. Increased productivity is the jump start the economy needs.

I want the Government to succeed.

My very rudimentary understanding of productivity and its effect on the economy is that it’s a basic input and output equation which relates directly to increasing the economy

When wages go up (massively) the theory is that staff are happier and work more efficiently and increase output. That the train drivers are no longer on strike but are actually working. I’m not having that, sorry but I’m not - that would be some increase in output to match the figures being bandied about for all these wage increases

I just don’t see how increased wages is anything other than a decrease in productivity? Surely the output would have to increase drastically to counter the increased input …simply for productivity to remain the same??

When minimum wage goes up by 10% or more and I have to increase all my staffs wages by the same amount that I increase the unskilled workers on minimum wage…. Where’s my increase in productivity coming from??? I will have to put my prices up simply to stay standing still…. Which truth be told is far more likely to have a negative impact on my sales.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What I gathered during the campaign is that, Labour, when challenged, said the money would come from “growth.”

I genuinely have no idea. I don't know how much "this money" is, nor what the full range of options are. Rachel Reeves will announce changes to / new tax-raising mechanisms on things I've never heard of before.

I can give you a broad "make sure the large corporations, particularly the tax-evading ones and those taking in billions from gas, oil and electricity get appropriately treated", along with "target the rich, and change your poor-targeting ways" if it helps.

So you are happy to dive in every time there's suggestions of a tax increase in any area whatsoever, but when you're actually asked what should be done, your answer is 'leave it to the Government' ?

Dinner calls :bigwave:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you are happy to dive in every time there's suggestions of a tax increase in any area whatsoever, but when you're actually asked what should be done, your answer is 'leave it to the Government' ?

Unless I'm missing something, you seem to be literally making stuff up now.

The only suggestion of a tax increase on this thread I can recall participating in is the increase in employer NI. And as a small business owner I have no issue with paying that. Employer NI or employee NI makes little difference to me.

I would have no issue with a bump in NI/income tax but it's Labour themselves who are saying they don't want to do that.

So, assuming you feel you are are not just making stuff up - can you please give a few examples of tax rises that have been discussed that I've spoken against.

I've said "go after the big corporations and rich people, but try to leave the poor alone" which I think broadly aligns with Labour policy (even if they've reneged on the poor person bit thus far. And that's not a tax rise anyway, and it's tax rises you say I'm speaking out against)

No rush - enjoy your meal.

Randy McNob

> > > > > > Cardiff > > > > >
Jun 13, 2020

You mean a windfall tax?

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
You can absolutely roll it into another hit to working people

Btw £3 is above the average fare before the £2 came in to my are.

They want people to travel green? This is a backwards step.

Trainfares are ridiculous as well.
We get Stagecoach 700 from Shoreham into Brighton - so a Brighton DayRider @ £5 will be the way to go if making a return journey. But I wonder how many might be caught out and pay the £3 each way. Hopefully the bus drivers will remind people of the DayRider option.

I guess those making much longer journeys - Brighton to Worthing or beyond for example - will still be 'better off' paying £3 single fare each way.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You're being ridiculously ridiculous now.

Slight amendment

plus in future could you post in detail the exact figures showing government income expenditure to the penny ….also explain every forecast made and those not even thought of etc …..plus if you have the time details on the next five budgets ….before expressing an opinion

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Starmer is the one who said the money would come from growth. If you’ve got an issue with that, take it up with him, not me.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well I wish they would stop spooking the markets… my pensions have dropped over the last few days by quite a bit

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Slight amendment

plus in future could you post in detail the exact figures showing government income expenditure to the penny ….also explain every forecast made and those not even thought of etc …..plus if you have the time details on the next five budgets ….before expressing an opinion
Well, in an attempt to respond to the repeated demand, and also to self-educate a bit, I've been looking at this. The OBR provide a nice overview here:

Labour have ruled out rises to 57% of receipts - income tax, NI and VAT. Unhelpfully, the next two biggest slices of the pie are the opaque "Other taxes" and "other receipts". I'd need a breakdown of those as I literally have no idea what makes up the combined £247bn. Presumably, there's some scope for some rises somewhere in there.

I'm surprised that corporation tax is as low as it is - less than 9% of government income. So, let's go after those fat cats for a bit more, just not the small one-man-bands, please.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, in an attempt to respond to the repeated demand, and also to self-educate a bit, I've been looking at this. The OBR provide a nice overview here:

Labour have ruled out rises to 57% of receipts - income tax, NI and VAT. Unhelpfully, the next two biggest slices of the pie are the opaque "Other taxes" and "other receipts". I'd need a breakdown of those as I literally have no idea what makes up the combined £247bn. Presumably, there's some scope for some rises somewhere in there.

I'm surprised that corporation tax is as low as it is - less than 9% of government income. So, let's go after those fat cats for a bit more, just not the small one-man-bands, please.
Just the £247 billion down as ‘other’ ……I’d never get away with that on my tax return

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You should put him on ignore mate
I have tried twice to ask him for some help but have received the ignorant reply of "No".....lol. I expect nothing less from him. An ignorant man with an ignorant attitude.

There is nothing more than I would like than to put him on ignore. Unfortunately we cannot put Moderators on ignore.

Worst EVER Moderator on NSC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here