Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m not sure it is simplistic bolleaux. There have been quite a few reports of increasing numbers of very wealthy planning to do just that, however, I have no idea whether or not they actually will. Let me put it slightly differently, there are fears amongst some, that the very wealthy who are often in a position to arrange their affairs to mitigate against government action to get more tax from them, will legitimately do so, whilst the ‘ neither rich nor poor Joes in the middle’ will get clobbered. There are more of them and they are easier targets. You may not agree, but I think it is a reasonable view to take. I believe the leaders of the country’s most powerful union, the BMA are already making noises/threats about doctors quitting or retiring early if there are changes to their pension arrangements, so there may be trouble ahead with the militant medics and I don’t suppose Wes Streeting would look forward to that.
Finally, re your remark on checking every single line of dear Rachel’s budget, you can be sure the lawyers, advisers and accountants of the very wealthy will be doing just that for them. The ‘neither rich nor poor Joes in the middle ‘ may not be so fortunate.
Anyway, let us hope, it all goes swimmingly well and those of us with misgivings about our leaders are worrying about nothing.😁😉
I'm not sure you've debunked the point.

Is it your contention that there will be no super wealthy people left in the country and no one will want to replace them, which is the point I made? Or is it your contention that they will be better able to protect themselves, in which case why leave?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that really is your stance, then why are you sarcastically quoting figures for boat crossings now - when you know full well that anything Labour will be working towards / putting in place will not yet be kicking in to any meaningful effect? You can't have it both ways.
Because he doesn’t think through what he posts. Or even read beyond the headline of links he posts. He’s the king of glib.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The worry is that Starmer can't tell the difference between active and passive income.

If he thinks someone who receives dividends is not a working person then millions of owner-managed directors who take low salary, high dividends from their own businesses are in for a big shock on Wednesday.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm not sure you've debunked the point.

Is it your contention that there will be no super wealthy people left in the country and no one will want to replace them, which is the point I made? Or is it your contention that they will be better able to protect themselves, in which case why leave?
Hello again,
I originally said, (and this is the gist) some people fear that those in the middle will be clobbered and those really wealthy bods will buzz off.
Of course there will be wealthy people left in the country and I said I have no idea whether or not considerable numbers will or will not go. I then went on to make a further point re the wealthy being in a good position to ‘arrange their affairs’ to mitigate any government steps to part them from their wealth, unlike the middle Joes.
People will always come and go, but it is quite possible that some super wealthy people may leave and others may think twice about replacing them. However, this was not my main point. It was that the ‘middle Joes ‘ fear that they might get clobbered in any tax changes, because they present an easy target.
As far as the super wealthy leaving or not, you’d best ask them! They are often in a good position of choosing to go or stay, and as I said, suitably arrange their affairs.
I wasn’t trying to debunk your point, I was more interested in putting over the possible fears of the neither rich nor poor Joes. I think we may not be on the same track, but no worries, it is good to discuss.😁👍

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just want to say I'm a huge fan of the increasing insinuation from some that a chancellor who worked at the Bank of England doesn't really understand how money works as well as they claim to do

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Just want to say I'm a huge fan of the increasing insinuation from some that a chancellor who worked at the Bank of England doesn't really understand how money works as well as they claim to do
Well, let us wait and see how it all works out for the country and its people.
Anyway, by the same token, it has never stopped any of us on NSC criticising a professional manager re a football team’s tactics! 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: A1X

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The rich are an interesting subject.. As I have said so easy in opposition for genuine and vote reasons to say will go for rich including non doms but when in government realise how much these people contribute. An example I read at present non doms at present time contribute over £6b
Our top PL players pay 45% and would be interesting what the top rate is in Spain Italy and Germany

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The rich are an interesting subject.. As I have said so easy in opposition for genuine and vote reasons to say will go for rich including non doms but when in government realise how much these people contribute. An example I read at present non doms at present time contribute over £6b
Our top PL players pay 45% and would be interesting what the top rate is in Spain Italy and Germany
Is this from the Adam Smith Institute report that supposed they're all going to leave and added up all the money they might now not spend in restaurants and buying stuff? Given they're mostly funded by donations from said non doms, may take that with a pinch of salt.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is this from the Adam Smith Institute report that supposed they're all going to leave and added up all the money they might now not spend in restaurants and buying stuff? Given they're mostly funded by donations from said non doms, may take that with a pinch of salt.

Indeed, this is surely more of an issue for you're average working family though, who will inevitable spend less if they have to pay more income tax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here