Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You voted for Brexit didn't you? Taking control of our borders. How's your political reflection on that going?
Brexit's got everything under control and immigration is under a calm and calculated plan. Just like Nige promised. All the muzzies have left and the NHS is pocketing a bumper 350 million a week as a bonus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If it wasn’t quite so worrying to see a PM squirming over trying to state what ‘working people’ are, then it would be quite funny. As it is, it is alarming that this man is PM of our country. Blimey, I thought Rishi was rather short of political nous, but Starmer appears clueless.
I wouldn’t mind putting a few bob on with the bookies that he won’t last 5 years.
He will last at least two terms. I’m sure of this. Bounce this in 5 years.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Unless you're independently wealthy or backwards it's three :thumbsup:
Forgive me, but having considered your number 3, I have come to the startling conclusion that it is Starmer and his cohorts who are providing all the confusion over their misguided attempts to try and explain what working people are. It certainly isn’t me and I have absolutely no interest in the ‘told you so game’, as I try not to take NSC political threads too seriously.😉

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Starmer has set out his stall, let's await the results.
If that really is your stance, then why are you sarcastically quoting figures for boat crossings now - when you know full well that anything Labour will be working towards / putting in place will not yet be kicking in to any meaningful effect? You can't have it both ways.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I will wait and see which groups in society he targets.

If he starts taxing the wealthy properly and makes life easier for struggling ordinary people, I’ll start to think about trusting him.
Well re WFA, he started off well making life more difficult for those pensioners who don’t qualify for pension credit, but are nevertheless living on pretty low incomes.😰
Trouble is, who are the wealthy and how much dosh do you have to have to be considered wealthy by Reeves and Starmer? I think what some people fear is that it will end up with those in the middle, who are striving to make a good life for themselves and take care of their old age, but are not ‘wealthy’, will end up being clobbbered and the really wealthy will just up sticks and buzz off.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
On another note, 'smashing the gangs' means that in the past seven days, 1,597 people have crossed The Channel in 29 boats.
On Today (R4) this morning a BBC investigation has identified a man in Germany who claimed to have 10 repositories with rubber boats and accessories for sale which he would deliver to Calais. The BBC had previously identified two ring leaders responsible for putting asylum seekers in the small boats.

If the BBC can do it, why aren't the NCA and their equivalents in France and Germany chasing these bastards down and banging them up? Incompetence or "can't be arsed"?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well re WFA, he started off well making life more difficult for those pensioners who don’t qualify for pension credit, but are nevertheless living on pretty low incomes.😰
Trouble is, who are the wealthy and how much dosh do you have to have to be considered wealthy by Reeves and Starmer? I think what some people fear is that it will end up with those in the middle, who are striving to make a good life for themselves and take care of their old age, but are not ‘wealthy’, will end up being clobbbered and the really wealthy will just up sticks and buzz off.
I see this line trotted out all the time and it really is simplistic bolleaux.

Firstly, many can't and I'll give you a great example close to home; Premier League (and increasingly Championship) players. And it's really not that simple for anyone with a successful business here, kids in a school or UK university etc. And, thanks to Brexit, you can't just go and live in Europe at the drop of a hat either.

Secondly, and a point that's never really addressed, they will be replaced. Human beings are naturally ambitious and plenty of aspiring traders, C level folk, entrepreneurs and sportspeople are simply going to be on a path to be the best. They won't be checking every single line of Rachel Reeves' budget every time they make a trade, secure a sale or score a goal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
On Today (R4) this morning a BBC investigation has identified a man in Germany who claimed to have 10 repositories with rubber boats and accessories for sale which he would deliver to Calais. The BBC had previously identified two ring leaders responsible for putting asylum seekers in the small boats.

If the BBC can do it, why aren't the NCA and their equivalents in France and Germany chasing these bastards down and banging them up? Incompetence or "can't be arsed"?
As explained on the BBC Today problem they can't do anything because these companies are completely legal. In Germany they are tax paying legit companies whose business is the export of boats and marine equipment. Any of these lorries get stopped on an autobahn and the driver has perfectly legit paper work.

The work that's being done is after delivery and this is "Successful" in one respect - fewer boats are arriving at their final destination on the beach. This is why smugglers are cramming more and more people onto these boats - and women, children and babies are dying.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This new argument about working people is a load of nonsense. We all really know what he means.

People who get most of their income from a job / working for themselves etc.

Yes - some of these may have some stocks and shares (or property) - and yes, it is likely/possible that taxes will rise on sales of these. But that's not taxing 'work'.

I don't even know why it's being discussed. Well - yes I do, because people and the media are desperate to try and trip them up with narrowly defined definitions. For the vast majority of us, our main income is not going to be higher taxed. That's what is meant.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This man, yes THIS MAN is running the show folks

He's not running the show but he's obviously fu**ing mental, looking at his bio

1729864020534.png

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
……and it doesn’t take long to find a racist conspiracy theory. Nice follows you have @Is it PotG?

Apologies, I take it back.

Starmer was NOT in that video, it was made up by this chap and Starmer was NOT incoherent, jittery and non-nonsensical.

I follow 3 people, two musicians and a ticket issuer.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I see this line trotted out all the time and it really is simplistic bolleaux.

Firstly, many can't and I'll give you a great example close to home; Premier League (and increasingly Championship) players. And it's really not that simple for anyone with a successful business here, kids in a school or UK university etc. And, thanks to Brexit, you can't just go and live in Europe at the drop of a hat either.

Secondly, and a point that's never really addressed, they will be replaced. Human beings are naturally ambitious and plenty of aspiring traders, C level folk, entrepreneurs and sportspeople are simply going to be on a path to be the best. They won't be checking every single line of Rachel Reeves' budget every time they make a trade, secure a sale or score a goal.
I’m not sure it is simplistic bolleaux. There have been quite a few reports of increasing numbers of very wealthy planning to do just that, however, I have no idea whether or not they actually will. Let me put it slightly differently, there are fears amongst some, that the very wealthy who are often in a position to arrange their affairs to mitigate against government action to get more tax from them, will legitimately do so, whilst the ‘ neither rich nor poor Joes in the middle’ will get clobbered. There are more of them and they are easier targets. You may not agree, but I think it is a reasonable view to take. I believe the leaders of the country’s most powerful union, the BMA are already making noises/threats about doctors quitting or retiring early if there are changes to their pension arrangements, so there may be trouble ahead with the militant medics and I don’t suppose Wes Streeting would look forward to that.
Finally, re your remark on checking every single line of dear Rachel’s budget, you can be sure the lawyers, advisers and accountants of the very wealthy will be doing just that for them. The ‘neither rich nor poor Joes in the middle ‘ may not be so fortunate.
Anyway, let us hope, it all goes swimmingly well and those of us with misgivings about our leaders are worrying about nothing.😁😉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here