Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Treasury minister James Murray - "Working people are people who go out to work for their income". That might be rather a slap in the face for an awful lot of people who work from home and/or don't need to actually go out to generate income and thus pay their fair share of tax.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Treasury minister James Murray - "Working people are people who go out to work for their income". That might be rather a slap in the face for an awful lot of people who work from home and/or don't need to actually go out to generate income and thus pay their fair share of tax.
Or you're reading into that what you want to. He doesn't literally mean leaving their home in order to work. He is referring to anyone who works for their income.

Personally, I like the unpopular stances Labour are taking. It's their first year of a five year term, now is the time to make the unpopular decisions which will pay off in the longer term. This country needs investment across the board and it needs Leadership with a capital L, after years of passive and ineffective prime minsters.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
To be fair, he said before the general election that people who could write a cheque when something goes wrong were not working people. That pretty much covers everyone with say £10,000 in savings, if we take as a guide that "something going wrong" is perhaps the cost of replacing a roof.

It's clear that someone who spends what they have is a worker, someone who saves for a rainy day is not.
If it wasn’t quite so worrying to see a PM squirming over trying to state what ‘working people’ are, then it would be quite funny. As it is, it is alarming that this man is PM of our country. Blimey, I thought Rishi was rather short of political nous, but Starmer appears clueless.
I wouldn’t mind putting a few bob on with the bookies that he won’t last 5 years.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it wasn’t quite so worrying to see a PM squirming over trying to state what ‘working people’ are, then it would be quite funny. As it is, it is alarming that this man is PM of our country. Blimey, I thought Rishi was rather short of political nous, but Starmer appears clueless.
I wouldn’t mind putting a few bob on with the bookies that he won’t last 5 years.

Well you need to do it and post the betting slip on here. No aftertiming :wink:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Or you're reading into that what you want to. He doesn't literally mean leaving their home in order to work. He is referring to anyone who works for their income.

Personally, I like the unpopular stances Labour are taking. It's their first year of a five year term, now is the time to make the unpopular decisions which will pay off in the longer term. This country needs investment across the board and it needs Leadership with a capital L, after years of passive and ineffective prime minsters.
Well, I can’t disagree with you re ineffective prime ministers, but (and see my reply to dsr-burnley), I really don’t think Starmer has the Leadership qualities you are looking for.
To quote another girl singer, Shania Twain, ‘ That Don’t Impress Me Much.’

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill

A landlord then ought to qualify as a working person?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
On another note, 'smashing the gangs' means that in the past seven days, 1,597 people have crossed The Channel in 29 boats.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's quite clear what he means and I fall into his definition. I work for a monthly salary, as does my wife, but my savings are tied up in inaccessible pensions and our childrens' CTFs, which, quite rightly, belong to them. Were I to be made redundant I'd be in the shit in about three months. Ironically, two things burned through our accessible savings; going to watch the Albion abroad in Europe (very much my choice) and the Liz Truss budget and crippling inflation brought on by the last lot (very much not my choice).

Anyone still not understanding is either:

1) Wilfully stupid
2) So wealthy they're out of touch with working people or
3) Trying to cause deliberate confusion so that whatever happens in the budget they can smugly say "I told you so".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On another note, 'smashing the gangs' means that in the past seven days, 1,597 people have crossed The Channel in 29 boats.
To be fair that simply won’t be stopped overnight.

We have to repair the damage with our EU relations to start cooperating on both sides of the channel and into European mainland.

And we have to deal with the backlog.

The Tory’s deliberate sabotage of our asylum process is squarely to blame for those things falling apart.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's quite clear what he means and I fall into his definition. I work for a monthly salary, as does my wife, but my savings are tied up in inaccessible pensions and our childrens' CTFs, which, quite rightly, belong to them. Were I to be made redundant I'd be in the shit in about three months. Ironically, two things burned through our accessible savings; going to watch the Albion abroad in Europe (very much my choice) and the Liz Truss budget and crippling inflation brought on by the last lot (very much not my choice).

1) Wilfully stupid
3) Trying to cause deliberate confusion so that whatever happens in the budget they can smugly say "I told you so".
I will wait and see which groups in society he targets.

If he starts taxing the wealthy properly and makes life easier for struggling ordinary people, I’ll start to think about trusting him.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Well, I can’t disagree with you re ineffective prime ministers, but (and see my reply to dsr-burnley), I really don’t think Starmer has the Leadership qualities you are looking for.
To quote another girl singer, Shania Twain, ‘ That Don’t Impress Me Much.’
I think he does - I think he's very competent and just gets on with the work which is a really refreshing change. I think he's setting a very clear direction, whether you agree with it or not is slightly different in my opinion. I think he's doing the work that needs to be done and empowering his ministers to do their jobs. I might be projecting there or being hopeful in my interpretation, but that's how it seems.
A landlord then ought to qualify as a working person?
Not all of them can qualify based on them not doing anything for their tenant(s). I'm not responsible for defining a working person, but if I were then I think landlords probably wouldn't qualify unless they're also a working professional at something. Landlord itself doesn't seem like work, but I'm open to being corrected.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think he does - I think he's very competent and just gets on with the work which is a really refreshing change. I think he's setting a very clear direction, whether you agree with it or not is slightly different in my opinion. I think he's doing the work that needs to be done and empowering his ministers to do their jobs. I might be projecting there or being hopeful in my interpretation, but that's how it seems.
Exactly this. Labour have no desire to be popular right now, they're just getting on with what needs doing. Or, as someone so prosaically put it on Radio 4 earlier this week "it's the difference between having a prosecutor running the country compared to a journalist running it".

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

1) Wilfully stupid
Good grief, I shall have to go sit on the naughty step and consider which, or all, of these options apply to me.
So sorry sir, but you really do come over as a pompous fellow sometimes.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Exactly this. Labour have no desire to be popular right now, they're just getting on with what needs doing. Or, as someone so prosaically put it on Radio 4 earlier this week "it's the difference between having a prosecutor running the country compared to a journalist running it".
Indeed, they've got everything under control and all is going to a calm and calculated plan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good grief, I shall have to go sit on the naughty step and consider which, or all, of these options apply to me.
So sorry sir, but you really do come over as a pompous fellow sometimes.
Unless you're independently wealthy or backwards it's three :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here