Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whether there is any truth in that is open to question, although likely in some cases. Evidence of 'Zero' though would be debatable, many folk up sticks for work or whatever.
I cannot see the article but it will be interesting to see how many of those who contributed to it, or who have said the same, are still be living in the UK come the next election. I understand Katie Hopkins said she'd leave....a blessing which she still has to undertake.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I doubt anyone gives a monkey's.
True. Which is why I shall not give a monkey's about the totally hollow threats in the link you posted........they will not leave the UK.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Here we go again. How many of these types actually have the balls and/or gumption to get off their arses and actually do it? Zero? Next to none? Hollow words.
Could very well argue the huge number of less well-off people who said they’ll leave the country if Brexit went through. Or the huge number of Americans who said they’d leave if Trump won the election first time around (and saying the same now, from their homes in the US). Or the great number of people on match day threads who, if we go a couple of goals down early, say “right, that’s it, I’m doing the gardening. See you next week”, only to miraculously reappear a few pages later.

It’s just anger and hyperbole at a perceived injustice, and leaving the country is just about as extreme a reaction it is possible to write/post, short of threatening self harm, so I wouldn’t take any of that seriously.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you'll find that Germany's growth of late has been due to their prior high dependence on Russian gas, exacerbated by the large size of their manufacturing sector, and the transition away from it.
Longer-term, their car industry has been a significant part of their economy, and it's under threat by Chinese EVs. Maybe this is the point where @Weststander becomes less in awe of the German approach to economics and politics?

There is the theory that Europe is slowly dying, in terms of its economic significance. Relative to all the more nimble competitors throughout the world. Germany is the engine of Europe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People don't go and live overseas then?
Are you being deliberaly obtuse? I have said nothing of the sort, and you know this. Why not just admit your post is nonsense instead of putting up this charade?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's quite a remarkable piece of writing.

It's remarkable because it claims to be "A roundup of the government’s work..." yet doesn't include the words "winter", "fuel" nor "payment".

It also doesn't include "pensioners frozen to death" but, in fairness, it's not got cold yet, so that will be for inclusion (or exclusion if you're putting together another puff piece) at the 200-day mark.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could very well argue the huge number of less well-off people who said they’ll leave the country if Brexit went through. Or the huge number of Americans who said they’d leave if Trump won the election first time around (and saying the same now, from their homes in the US). Or the great number of people on match day threads who, if we go a couple of goals down early, say “right, that’s it, I’m doing the gardening. See you next week”, only to miraculously reappear a few pages later.

It’s just anger and hyperbole at a perceived injustice, and leaving the country is just about as extreme a reaction it is possible to write/post, short of threatening self harm, so I wouldn’t take any of that seriously.
I do not take it seriously, as they rarely go through with it. But drama queens should be called out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True. Which is why I shall not give a monkey's about the totally hollow threats in the link you posted........they will not leave the UK.

They are already.

These aren’t just ‘Brits’ with a lifetime of ties here. Europeans, Yanks etc who came to live in the UK from the Blair years onwards, often professionals or executives.

Italy and other countries are accepting non doms with open arms. Other folk with wealth reacting similarly.

The IFS have mentioned this as a real thing. Suggesting an exit tax charge.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
That's quite a remarkable piece of writing.

It's remarkable because it claims to be "A roundup of the government’s work..." yet doesn't include the words "winter", "fuel" nor "payment".

It also doesn't include "pensioners frozen to death" but, in fairness, it's not got cold yet, so that will be for inclusion (or exclusion if you're putting together another puff piece) at the 200-day mark.
Seems the media have relegated the issue to chip wrapping. Very gentle chat on Newscast about his first 100 days didn’t mention it but surely it should still be top of the agenda.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is that a quote from a Telegraph reader? If so - I guess it means that Starmer is doing pretty well in following Labour's underlying principles and befitting the wider good rather than the elite?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are already.

These aren’t just ‘Brits’ with a lifetime of ties here. Europeans, Yanks etc who came to live in the UK from the Blair years onwards, often professionals or executives.

Italy and other countries are accepting non doms with open arms. Other folk with wealth reacting similarly.

The IFS have mentioned this as a real thing. Suggesting an exit tax charge.
I’m not denying this. My comments were aimed at the Telegraph readers comments @Is it PotG? quoted. Im willing to believe these gruff “can’t wait to leave” comments are not by business executives and non-doms but angry Telegraph reading pub bore types.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m not denying this. My comments were aimed at the Telegraph readers comments @Is it PotG? quoted. Im willing to believe these gruff “can’t wait to leave” comments are not by business executives and non-doms but angry Telegraph reading pub bore types.
Who now can’t leave because of Brexit 😂😂😂😂😂

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No ignorant and lazy stereotyping there then.

Where The Guardian might be useful for fillum reviews, The Telegraph has the best crossword by far. Open your mind.
I lost all confidence in this paper when their business section ran an article of my industry and it was riddled with inaccuracies and untruths. How can I trust anything they write?

My industry is heavily regulated and as a consequence a lot, if not all, of this regulation is avalilable to view.....most of the rubbish they wrote could easily have been fact checked. But they chose not to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here