Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I lost all confidence in this paper when their business section ran an article of my industry and it was riddled with inaccuracies and untruths. How can I trust anything they write?
Funnily enough, I have the same issue with the Guardian. Some of their editorial pieces are absolutely hilarious, but nobody in their right mind could take them seriously

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funnily enough, I have the same issue with the Guardian. Some of their editorial pieces are absolutely hilarious, but nobody in their right mind could take them seriously
An editorial is quite different. By definition it is "a newspaper article expressing the editor's opinion". I'm not typing about opinion, I am typing about inaccuracies and misstruths being dressed up as fact.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not denying this. My comments were aimed at the Telegraph readers comments @Is it PotG? quoted. Im willing to believe these gruff “can’t wait to leave” comments are not by business executives and non-doms but angry Telegraph reading pub bore types.

I loath the DT comments, rarely having a look. In all the years, I first looked in the summer and made three reasoned posts criticising Truss. Immediately piled on by arseholes who think she’s a political goddess, each yielded a stack of likes. Similarly the many regular posters love Rapist Trump, think Ukrainians should be left to their fate.

Imho far more right wing than a x-section of Daily Mail readers.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Good. So we’re agreed, Musk is bad.

So it’s interesting that the only constant question for Peter Kyle across all media yesterday was “did you invite Elon Musk?”. To which he gave one of the correct answers, which is no, because he has no current or future investment plans here.

The other answer, of course, is “no because he’s a right wing conspiracy theorist and a Nazi tech bro who’s currently ruining the world”. It’s the answer I’d have given around about the fifth time I was asked, which is why Kyle is a politician and I’m not.
It’s no wonder you’re running late to your Netherlands morning meetings if you’re spending this much time on NSC discussing Musk 😂😂👍

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s no wonder you’re running late to your Netherlands morning meetings if you’re spending this much time on NSC discussing Musk 😂😂👍
It’s only two paragraphs but I appreciate it may take others a lot longer to think of their posts 👍

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Good. So we’re agreed, Musk is bad.

So it’s interesting that the only constant question for Peter Kyle across all media yesterday was “did you invite Elon Musk?”. To which he gave one of the correct answers, which is no, because he has no current or future investment plans here.

The other answer, of course, is “no because he’s a right wing conspiracy theorist and a Nazi tech bro who’s currently ruining the world”. It’s the answer I’d have given around about the fifth time I was asked, which is why Kyle is a politician and I’m not.
How can they be so certain that Tesla (which is planning expansion into Europe) doesn't want to put part of its expansion into the UK? Is it because they do not want Musk's companies to be established in the UK, or is it because they know the conditions are already such that he certainly won't come?

As a general rule, if there is a possibility of billions of pounds of investment, it's surely worth exploring.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I loath the DT comments, rarely having a look. In all the years, I first looked in the summer and made three reasoned posts criticising Truss. Immediately piled on by arseholes who think she’s a political goddess, each yielded a stack of likes. Similarly the many regular posters love Rapist Trump, think Ukrainians should be left to their fate.

Imho far more right wing than a x-section of Daily Mail readers.
Again, that’s because the DT is a Tory newspaper, bought and read by middle class fairly right wing Tory voters. The comments simply align with the readership. Some of the comments in the Grauniad are equally ludicrous, but in different ways.

Being politically disenfranchised and agnostic about all the parties, I don’t read any of the papers, it’s generally just the BBC for me, or finding out about a story from word of mouth or here, then fact checking across multiple sources.

I know this is stating the obvious, but The Privately Owned Media are operated by people with agendas to push, people consume the ones which align with their pre-existing beliefs, philosophies and biases.

If I were staunchly left wing or liberal I wouldn’t buy The Daily Mail, similarly if I were a big C Conservative I wouldn’t buy the Daily Mirror.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How can they be so certain that Tesla (which is planning expansion into Europe) doesn't want to put part of its expansion into the UK? Is it because they do not want Musk's companies to be established in the UK, or is it because they know the conditions are already such that he certainly won't come?

As a general rule, if there is a possibility of billions of pounds of investment, it's surely worth exploring.
Then it’s up to Musk to offer that. Peter Kyle says he hasn’t.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Peter Kyle explained it six times yesterday. Have a Google 👍

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Again, that’s because the DT is a Tory newspaper, bought and read by middle class fairly right wing Tory voters. The comments simply align with the readership. Some of the comments in the Grauniad are equally ludicrous, but in different ways.

Being politically disenfranchised and agnostic about all the parties, I don’t read any of the papers, it’s generally just the BBC for me, or finding out about a story from word of mouth or here, then fact checking across multiple sources.

I know this is stating the obvious, but The Privately Owned Media are operated by people with agendas to push, people consume the ones which align with their pre-existing beliefs, philosophies and biases.

If I were staunchly left wing or liberal I wouldn’t buy The Daily Mail, similarly if I were a big C Conservative I wouldn’t buy the Daily Mirror.
I do not have any issue with papers pushing agendas, or even push their interpretations of information. My issue is when they do not tell the truth regarding cold hard facts. This was my issue with the Telegraph.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How can they be so certain that Tesla (which is planning expansion into Europe) doesn't want to put part of its expansion into the UK?
Maybe by reading his thoughts on Brexit?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Musk is also a weird, Trump supporting maniac who is obsessed with firing useless shit into the cosmos.

He should be kept well away from our newly grown up UK.

We just got shot of a bunch of dangerous whack-a-doodles.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I do not have any issue with papers pushing agendas, or even push their interpretations of information. My issue is when they do not tell the truth regarding cold hard facts. This was my issue with the Telegraph.
It’s my issue with all the politically allied papers, because they all regularly exaggerate numbers and facts at best, and lie at worst.

The difference is that we accept the lies from papers we philosophically agree with.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There is the theory that Europe is slowly dying, in terms of its economic significance. Relative to all the more nimble competitors throughout the world. Germany is the engine of Europe.
I think I detect a note of caution as to whether this will play out and, if so, I share it. The German car industry and cheaper Chinese EVs does feed into the larger issue of the role of tariffs, etc and how they'll play out in the mid-term future. Again, we shall see.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
They are already.

These aren’t just ‘Brits’ with a lifetime of ties here. Europeans, Yanks etc who came to live in the UK from the Blair years onwards, often professionals or executives.

Italy and other countries are accepting non doms with open arms. Other folk with wealth reacting similarly.

The IFS have mentioned this as a real thing. Suggesting an exit tax charge.
Some might not want to believe this because of their own political dogma, but this is absolutely the case. I generally stay away from political threads as much as possible on here, but there's always the exception to prove the rule. It's mostly when there's a different insight or perspective from outside that add something that isn't already there.

Having lived away from the UK for 16 years from 2004, I arrived back in lockdown in September 2020 and have been in the UK for just over 4 years now. For perspective, the first 2 and half of those were spent helping as an unpaid carer for my mother who had Stage 4 Parkinsons, the last 18 months currently being around to help my father through his related severe mental health issues and the sale of the family house. Aside from that, it's been interesting to see how Britain's changed.

For the record, I could not be considered in any way wealthy in the traditional financial sense at least, but I can say that I have worked with some extremely wealthy people. The sizeable numbers that have left the UK (as you rightly say, Brits and other nationalities) because of the impending financial implications in October's budget will have a significant effect on future tax revenues. As an example, I personally know a few real estate agents in the UAE who would support my position purely based on their commission figures since the July election! Now some in the UK might take the view that they would be happy to see the back of these sort of people. That sounds great and no doubt scratches a few ideological backs, but as we all know, life's not that simple when it comes to paying for things. Generally speaking, the more people with large wallets that you have around when there's a bill to pay, the better.

Labour clearly recognise the need to attract new international business and wealth to replace those that have left, but for John Crace of The Guardian, there's a bit of a mixed message that's coming across:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tors-dont-trade-social-protections-for-growth

"It’s a rarefied world where everyone knows their place. The politicians may be in government, but it is the business leaders who hold the real power. This is not a meeting of equals. When CEOs are dangling the promise of billions of pounds of investment, all former promises get burned.

Spare a thought for the transport secretary, who last week found herself merely repeating what was then government policy. P&O Ferries, and their parent company, DP World, were deemed rogue operators for their treatment of employees.

That was before DP World was due to make an appearance in London with the offer of a £1bn port expansion. Suddenly all bets were off. A public slapdown for Louise Haigh from the prime minister.

Fire and rehire? Suits us, sir! Hell, we’ve done the same with Sue Gray. So please, please, don’t go away. We love you really. Give us your dosh. It’s not exactly edifying, but it’s the way of the world.

So Keir Starmer was in supplicant mode when he gave his opening address to the summit. Virtually lying prostrate on the stage before the assembled guests. Ready to talk whatever nonsensical jargon was necessary.

“Calmer waters”, “stability leads to growth and growth leads to stability”, “rolling the pitch”. The UK was a great place to invest, he insisted. Mmm. The business leaders might have thought differently if they had listened to Keir back in August. Then he had summoned us all back from our summer holidays to tell us that everything was rubbish and would continue to be miserable for the foreseeable future. Most of us would be better off dying now. But here, for one day only, things were now great.

There were four main strategy areas. Stability, strategy – I dozed off through the third one – and regulation.

Again, don’t be put off by what you might have heard of Labour’s workers’ rights proposals. They were nothing to worry the pretty little heads of the CEOs. If anything they would contribute to growth. Because Keir would get rid of every bit of regulation they didn’t like. Apart from the bits the Tories were forced to bring in as a result of Brexit and which Labour are too timid to reverse.

That was the main Brexit takeaway: try to pretend it had never happened."

As much as I like the UK in many ways, I plan to leave permanently in the next couple of months once this particular season of life is over.

It's no slight, but I've considered everything and think my future is better served overseas nearer my prospective client base.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some might not want to believe this because of their own political dogma, but this is absolutely the case. I generally stay away from political threads as much as possible on here, but there's always the exception to prove the rule. It's mostly when there's a different insight or perspective from outside that add something that isn't already there.

Having lived away from the UK for 16 years from 2004, I arrived back in lockdown in September 2020 and have been in the UK for just over 4 years now. For perspective, the first 2 and half of those were spent helping as an unpaid carer for my mother who had Stage 4 Parkinsons, the last 18 months currently being around to help my father through his related severe mental health issues and the sale of the family house. Aside from that, it's been interesting to see how Britain's changed.

For the record, I could not be considered in any way wealthy in the traditional financial sense at least, but I can say that I have worked with some extremely wealthy people. The sizeable numbers that have left the UK (as you rightly say, Brits and other nationalities) because of the impending financial implications in October's budget will have a significant effect on future tax revenues. As an example, I personally know a few real estate agents in the UAE who would support my position purely based on their commission figures since the June election! Now some in the UK might take the view that they would be happy to see the back of these sort of people. That sounds great and no doubt scratches a few ideological backs, but as we all know, life's not that simple when it comes to paying for things. Generally speaking, the more people with large wallets that you have around when there's a bill to pay, the better.

Labour clearly recognise the need to attract new international business and wealth to replace those that have left, but for John Crace of The Guardian, there's a bit of a mixed message that's coming across:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tors-dont-trade-social-protections-for-growth

"It’s a rarefied world where everyone knows their place. The politicians may be in government, but it is the business leaders who hold the real power. This is not a meeting of equals. When CEOs are dangling the promise of billions of pounds of investment, all former promises get burned.

Spare a thought for the transport secretary, who last week found herself merely repeating what was then government policy. P&O Ferries, and their parent company, DP World, were deemed rogue operators for their treatment of employees.

That was before DP World was due to make an appearance in London with the offer of a £1bn port expansion. Suddenly all bets were off. A public slapdown for Louise Haigh from the prime minister.

Fire and rehire? Suits us, sir! Hell, we’ve done the same with Sue Gray. So please, please, don’t go away. We love you really. Give us your dosh. It’s not exactly edifying, but it’s the way of the world.

So Keir Starmer was in supplicant mode when he gave his opening address to the summit. Virtually lying prostrate on the stage before the assembled guests. Ready to talk whatever nonsensical jargon was necessary.

“Calmer waters”, “stability leads to growth and growth leads to stability”, “rolling the pitch”. The UK was a great place to invest, he insisted. Mmm. The business leaders might have thought differently if they had listened to Keir back in August. Then he had summoned us all back from our summer holidays to tell us that everything was rubbish and would continue to be miserable for the foreseeable future. Most of us would be better off dying now. But here, for one day only, things were now great.

There were four main strategy areas. Stability, strategy – I dozed off through the third one – and regulation.

Again, don’t be put off by what you might have heard of Labour’s workers’ rights proposals. They were nothing to worry the pretty little heads of the CEOs. If anything they would contribute to growth. Because Keir would get rid of every bit of regulation they didn’t like. Apart from the bits the Tories were forced to bring in as a result of Brexit and which Labour are too timid to reverse.

That was the main Brexit takeaway: try to pretend it had never happened."

As much as I like the UK in many ways, I plan to leave permanently in the next couple of months once this particular season of life is over.

It's no slight, but I've considered everything and think my future is better served overseas nearer my prospective client base.

IMG_4804.png

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
*Double post*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here