Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of Rangers?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Now trying to force players to stay with the newco - interesting that Rangers set the precedent for going to civil courts. Will players now challenge them there because as far as I can see the players' contracts automatically fail when the original company folded?

Puts the SPFA in an intersting position for sure

Green warning to Rangers players - Footymad

Now trying to force players to stay with the newco - interesting that Rangers set the precedent for going to civil courts. Will players now challenge them there because as far as I can see the players' contracts automatically fail when the original company folded?

Puts the SPFA in an intersting position for sure

Green warning to Rangers players - Footymad
The newco seems to believe that the players' contracts have been purchased as part of Green's deal. Most people seem to believe that they have some right to choose their employer, rather than be sold into servitude (even if the wages are reasonable).

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1948) declares in Article 4 "No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms".

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
The newco seems to believe that the players' contracts have been purchased as part of Green's deal. Most people seem to believe that they have some right to choose their employer, rather than be sold into servitude (even if the wages are reasonable).

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1948) declares in Article 4 "No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms".

So you're saying the Club 12 players are slaves? :lol:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

What about TUPE ?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
More to this than meets the eye.
I have a hunch that Walter Smith's consortium pulled out as they knew that a lot of the first team would rip up their contracts as I think they are allowed to do under TUPE. I have no idea if WS knew first, or the players knew WS would pull out first but the conclusion is the same.
Green has little chance of selling and making a big profit without any/many players. Perhaps this has been done to force him to return to the table with WS, at a better price as the majority of them would no doubt sign up for him and Allie.
Rangers would be far better off with WS, McCoist and Co, in the future so hopefully something gives soon. However, if Rangers are to play in the Scottish 3rd Division so be it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What about TUPE ?

TUPE - Transfer of Undertakings Protection of Employment is a set of rules whereby an employee has certain things protected if their employer sells the business. It protects things like length of service so that, for example, an employer cannot transfer a load of employees into a new company then make them redundant with minimal payout.

I don't know how it would apply to Rangers as I would think they would want the existing players to stay on but at significantly lower pay.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
What about TUPE ?

Fixed term contracts between the player and Glasgow Rangers FC (or whatever the old company was called) - don't see any way they can legally be passed to the new company. There could be a consensual transfer or a new contract offer but TUPE definitely doesn't apply to short term fixed term contracts as far as I'm aware.

I can't see any reason that all of the players can't walk away although football's "special rules" for creditors might be tested and they might have to go fly for the wages that were deferred towards the end of last season.

In addition a number of the players reportedly "did a deal" in taking a deferal of wages in exchange for the right to walk away. If the current transfer ban sticks they might have a few problems in store yet in addition to hopefully playing in a lower league.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TUPE - Transfer of Undertakings Protection of Employment is a set of rules whereby an employee has certain things protected if their employer sells the business. It protects things like length of service so that, for example, an employer cannot transfer a load of employees into a new company then make them redundant with minimal payout.

I don't know how it would apply to Rangers as I would think they would want the existing players to stay on but at significantly lower pay.

The employee has the right to refuse being TUPE'd across to a new company , it isn't compulsory. Most people have to accept TUPE as they cannot afford to be out of work.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do Rangers have a loyalty points scheme ? Might be a few binfests with the away allocations in SFL3 even with 80% of ground capacities.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it not usual when somebody buys a company irrespective of the nature of the company they take on all the employees under the same terms as they were employed originally.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
they can offer to employ people but the employees have the right to decline the offer

the question Rangers newco are raising is whether the employee is obliged to accept the offer of employment in the specific situation (ie. a fixed term contract).

logically the answer has to be "no"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is it not usual when somebody buys a company irrespective of the nature of the company they take on all the employees under the same terms as they were employed originally.

They HAVEN'T bought the company, though. They've bought the assets of a dissolved company.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
The next mess I see is assuming Rangers do not get the necessary votes to stay in the top division, who takes their place.... the relegated team or the team who finished second in the league below?

From what I gather no one really knows.

Playoff match?.....I can see this going on and on for a while yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here