Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of Rangers?

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Sure I saw a story a few days ago that two property developers from Glasgow, were preparing to bid £11 million for the stadium etc.

Their last company went into liquidation so they fit the profile. Oh and they are lifelong Celtic fans. One of them paid £15k to play in a testimonial for a Celtic player a few years ago. I think they were taking the piss.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Is it a possibility that Rangers or a team called Rangers playing at Ibrox will simply cease to exist ?

If you had asked anyone in Scotland that question even two or three weeks ago, it would have been laughed at. However I think a lot of people are now coming round to the idea that they possibly could go the same way as Third Lanark. This is much bigger than Leeds or Pompey. The circumstances surrounding the takeover of the club by Whyte are now being investigated by the Crown Office. The top players are now declaring themselves free agents as they are perfectly entitled to do under TUPE. Green is running out of money. What a lot of people are suggesting is that they may be suspended for a year or even told to go away for a year and regroup but if that happens you wonder if they will ever get their act together again.

As for the 'irony' of a Hearts fan criticising Rangers, the real irony is that the Glasgow media have conducted a witch hunt against my club for several years. Admittedly our eccentric owner has given them plenty of ammunition. However, under their very noses they have they have ignored or been complicit in corruption, cheating, sectarianism and criminality on a grand scale, so I think I'm more than entitled to criticise Rangers. Scottish football certainly does not need A club like Rangers OldCo. For the sake of some of the more sensible Rangers fans, including one of my best mates, I hope the NewCo does get its act together and starts again at the bottom.

There are now enough votes stacked up against them to ensure that the new Rangers won't be playing Scottish Premier League football next season.

Rangers set to be denied entry into SPL | Mail Online

Six clubs - St Johnstone, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United - have now confirmed that they will oppose the newco’s election to the SPL. Five votes is enough to stop them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you had asked anyone in Scotland that question even two or three weeks ago, it would have been laughed at. However I think a lot of people are now coming round to the idea that they possibly could go the same way as Third Lanark. This is much bigger than Leeds or Pompey. The circumstances surrounding the takeover of the club by Whyte are now being investigated by the Crown Office. The top players are now declaring themselves free agents as they are perfectly entitled to do under TUPE. Green is running out of money. What a lot of people are suggesting is that they may be suspended for a year or even told to go away for a year and regroup but if that happens you wonder if they will ever get their act together again.

As for the 'irony' of a Hearts fan criticising Rangers, the real irony is that the Glasgow media have conducted a witch hunt against my club for several years. Admittedly our eccentric owner has given them plenty of ammunition. However, under their very noses they have they have ignored or been complicit in corruption, cheating, sectarianism and criminality on a grand scale, so I think I'm more than entitled to criticise Rangers. Scottish football certainly does not need A club like Rangers OldCo. For the sake of some of the more sensible Rangers fans, including one of my best mates, I hope the NewCo does get its act together and starts again at the bottom.

....................as long as it IS at the bottom.

I still think there is a chance that you could be right and they could be suspended for a year as that is in the power of the SFA. Am I right in thinking that the SFA haven't responded yet to the court judgement in Rangers' favour? Could they be waiting to see how things pan out before delivering the final hammer blow? Rangers did themselves no favours and won no friends going through the civil courts.

Great post Jambo :thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Can the TV companies pull out of / negotiate down their SPL contracts if Rangers are kicked out of the SPL?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Can the TV companies pull out of / negotiate down their SPL contracts if Rangers are kicked out of the SPL?

Thats what weve been led to believe. Apparently the current contract was formed with the provision that it must include the four annual league matches between Rangers and Celtic. Removing those fixtures must mean that at the very least it has to renegotiated. However as Rangers and Celtic took the lion share of the existing contract it probably won't make much difference to the other ordinary SPL clubs as they only got crumbs anyway. Celtic could be a big loser though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thats what weve been led to believe. Apparently the current contract was formed with the provision that it must include the four annual league matches between Rangers and Celtic. Removing those fixtures must mean that at the very least it has to renegotiated. However as Rangers and Celtic took the lion share of the existing contract it probably won't make much difference to the other ordinary SPL clubs as they only got crumbs anyway. Celtic could be a big loser though.

I wouldn't have thought the TV people had a leg to stand on. Would they have expected to renegotiate if one of the big two had been relegated via the normal method ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are now enough votes stacked up against them to ensure that the new Rangers won't be playing Scottish Premier League football next season.
I should bloody well hope so. If Brighton were liquidated, we should be made to start somewhere near the conference. And the same if it was Manchester Utd. And all history should be wiped, you start again like Wimbledon. Clubs need to learn that simply telling your creditors to stick it is not the way to do business.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As the BBC is trying to save money surely this is a perfect opportunity to remove Scottish football from all coverage in England. There really is no need to go live to [INSERT NEEDLESSLY EXCITED SCOTTISH COMMENTATOR] to give us an update on Celtic's 7th goal against St Johnstone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As the BBC is trying to save money surely this is a perfect opportunity to remove Scottish football from all coverage in England. There really is no need to go live to [INSERT NEEDLESSLY EXCITED SCOTTISH COMMENTATOR] to give us an update on Celtic's 7th goal against St Johnstone.
Aye.

I remember the BBC telling us a few years ago that this was the most exciting finish to a Scottish season in years. A quick glance at the table showed Rangers and Celtic at the top by the usal 35 points or so. Yawn. The only difference was that their points and goal difference were almost the same.

So what happened? They both smashed their respective noddy team opponents on the last day. Rangers beat Dunfermline 6-1, while Celtic could "only" win 4-0 away at Kilmarnock. Who saw that coming? :rolleyes:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
They can have Alan Hansen back north of the border too, I'm fed up of hearing his miserable dirge on the BBC. Why do we have a throwback from a third World footballing country lording it over English domestic and international footie? OK he was a decent player back in the '80s - 30 years ago, so not exactly current.

Even that pseudo Irishman Lawro seems to put more effort into cracking lame gags than giving any decent analysis, let him stick to 5 Live where he is actually quite good..

OK in footballing terms England is currently in the 'second World', as we certainly aren't good enough to rank in the first, but still don't need some Scot patronising our footie.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Looks like Rangers might start the new season with at least TWO senior players

http://www.footymad.net/football-news/wallace_pledges_future_to_rangers_4448005

However, despite Wallace saying he is happy to stay it does beg the question whether with £800K still outstanding on his transfer fee, the SFA might see fit (on moral grounds as well as legal) to return his registration to Hearts. There certainly appear to be grounds to suspend his registration until payment is made or a compromise agreed......only fair innit?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
McGregor, Lafferty, Davis and Ness have decided to contest the transfer of their contracts to the newco. That is 8 first team squad players who have counted themselves out :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here