Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of Rangers?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If HMRC succesfully halts the suggestion of a cva for rangers then obviously Rangers PLC would be liquadated. Do the good people of NSC think the NEW club should be allowed to play immediately in the SPL? or should they be demoted to the lowest tier as if they were a 'new' club and be made to climb the ladder anew?

Definitely demoted to the lowest tier. Would send a fantastic message at last to over-spending teams.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Definitely demoted to the lowest tier. Would send a fantastic message at last to over-spending teams.

This (grr, I hate people that say 'this', and now I'm doing it!). Hopefully HMRC successfully liquidating a club will send a message to reckless spenders both North and South of Hadrian's Wall.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is the logical answer but when has an FA done what the fans see as logical and as I have said if that was a possibility why would somebody pay £5.5m for them.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That is the logical answer but when has an FA done what the fans see as logical and as I have said if that was a possibility why would somebody pay £5.5m for them.

Because they will purchase the Stadium etc etc.......and the potential tomake money now they are debt free.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the stadium has no value for redevelopment and must be used for sports it would take a long time to recoup their money just holding sports or football matches. If Rangers were in Scottish Non League their value as a club would be virtually nil. Their value and sale ability is because the are a well known name in the SPL.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Dundee Untited chairman doesn't think the SPL clubs will vote Rangers back in.

BBC Sport - Stephen Thompson doubts Rangers newcos SPL chances

Wonder what way Celtic will vote? Don't they need Rangers in the league to make it 'competitive'? No TV company is going to be interested in the rights when only one team can win the league.

It's a sub commitee vote, not one vote for each club. Celtic may not be represented directly on the voting panel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sad for all involved, but I hope they don't get back in. Keep them in and the message is clear; gamble, gamble, gamble, and if it doesn't work screw your creditors and have another go.

If HMRC accepted the poultry 9p/£ they'd have to do the same again down the road. Make the clubs (including us if it happened) pay.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It's a sub commitee vote, not one vote for each club. Celtic may not be represented directly on the voting panel.

Not according to that article: The decision over whether the newco could replace the existing Rangers in the league would be taken by the other 11 member clubs.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The Dundee Untited chairman doesn't think the SPL clubs will vote Rangers back in.

BBC Sport - Stephen Thompson doubts Rangers newcos SPL chances

Wonder what way Celtic will vote? Don't they need Rangers in the league to make it 'competitive'? No TV company is going to be interested in the rights when only one team can win the league.

Unlike the English Prem, the TV money in Scotland is bollocks all. I believe last year Celtic's combined income from SKY and ESPN was about 1 million quid. Which is a drop in the ocean there. Guaranteed Champions League football each year would be worth a lot more.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not according to that article: The decision over whether the newco could replace the existing Rangers in the league would be taken by the other 11 member clubs.

Yes I know it says that, but unless they've created a special procedure for this case, it's a sub commitee vote on the behalf of all SPL members.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes I know it says that, but unless they've created a special procedure for this case, it's a sub commitee vote on the behalf of all SPL members.

In fact the rules did indeed change last month, so all clubs now vote...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
They should apply to the Conference. Three promotions later would see them in the Championship. Do that rather than start in Scottish 3. Mind you, they'd probably struggle to get out of the Conference.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I have quite a few Rangers fans as friends. All of them want to start again, and are relishing travelling to new grounds all over Scotland in the Third Division or below; I'm sure the fans and clubs of the smaller leagues are looking forward to the bigger payday that's coming their way as well.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sad for all involved, but I hope they don't get back in. Keep them in and the message is clear; gamble, gamble, gamble, and if it doesn't work screw your creditors and have another go.

If HMRC accepted the poultry 9p/£ they'd have to do the same again down the road. Make the clubs (including us if it happened) pay.

HMRC blocked the CVA on the grounds that Rangers should be liquidated to realise any assets because this makes it possible for HMRC to pursue individuals previously connected with the club to recoup the tax debts.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Looks like a simple case of either

1)The SPL clubs vote to keep Newco Rangers in the SPL

or

2) they don't

in which case Newco Rangers will either

3)Apply to join the English Football League (Div 2)

or

4)Apply to join the Scottish Football League (Div 3?)

Interesting

TNBA

Has to be option 4 , they wouldn't be good enough for League 2 :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Today it is being announced that Walter Smith's consortium have withdrawn their bid to buy rangers.

Is this the same bid they made a couple of weeks back to be told that the club wasn't for sale? Isn't this a bit of redundant breaking news?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Today it is being announced that Walter Smith's consortium have withdrawn their bid to buy rangers.

Is this the same bid they made a couple of weeks back to be told that the club wasn't for sale? Isn't this a bit of redundant breaking news?

They wanted to buyout the Green consortium who they saw as asset strippers. If the SPL vote goes against Rangers on July 4th they will have to apply to be a member club in the SFL. The SFA want to re-organise the Scottish Leagues ASAP with a possible scenario of Rangers starting in SFL1 instead of SFL3 but time is running out before the start of the season to implement it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Could be interesting. There was to be a planned march and demonstration by Rangers supporters this Saturday, urging Charles Green to stand aside for the Walter Smith consortium.

On police advice....and the Walter Smith consortium, this was temporarily cancelled due to the huge support it was gaining and was deemed illegal. Further planning is in hand so Rangers fans have the opportunity to express their feelings against the Charles Green consortium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here