Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 129 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 195 56.7%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Im not sure some people realise what a very serious crossroads America is at domestically nor what will happen globally after the election and the person whom my post was mainly in response to has conveniently ignored the answer I gave to his question. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

For one thing, Israel is holding off retaliating with Iran and launching a direct attack on that Country until after the American election in the hope a Trump Presidency will support Israel taking out Iranā€™s nuclear facilities ( Trump has previously advocated war with Iran to do just that). That would mean all out war with US/allied involvement. Biden has been stalling on curtailing military backing to Israel because he doesnā€™t want to alienate the Jewish lobby. Trump is a known Netanyahu sympathiser.

A Biden Presidency would currently only back a limited response and attack on some of Iranā€™s military installations.

Russia too are currently hedging their bets knowing full well a Trump pro-Russia Presidency would withdraw aid from Ukraine and put pressure on Zelenskyy to concede territory to Putin.
How many wars did trump start last time he was in power ? None?

He usually gets fairly bad deals but he does get people round the table. Putin invaded Ukraine while biden was in charge, coincidence ?

And by the way. My view. Trump if elected would go on the aggressive with Iran, but they won't do anything. They will get obliterated if they start a war.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The issue this time is Russia's war against Ukraine and democracy. If Trump helps Putin, Ukraine could be lost. Otherwise I'd agree with you, there'd only be so much damage he could do.

What do you expect her to have done? She's had a good career and is a good candidate. That Trump is favourite is a sad reflection on the US, and the misinformation that's rife.
I would have expected her to be at the least an outstanding candidate, but no , she's divisive , and underwhelming. Holding a lot of senior positions without really enacting any positive change

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Come on now, everyone. I think it's only fair to not pile in on Dwayne. He's said he's just trying to be fair and see things from both sides.

Just like he does with Jack Hinshelw...

Oh.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I will try again, you said.

" Dems can pulled it off is with turnout. They are the majority and have been for a generation"

What is your basis for claiming a democratic majority for a generation? As this has not always been the popular vote, surely if a higher percentage are for Trump then more voters mean more Trump votes as a percentage?
The system gives the GOP a leg up. They haven't secured the popular vote in 30 years, they haven't been the majority in America since the days of George Bush Senior.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I'm not 100% trump lol. I just try and see both sides.

Erm Tulsi Gabbard is a serious politician, she maybe an opportunist and more religious than the average Brit but she's definitely not head mental. She's probably achieved more in her political career than Kamala.

What do you think Tulsi Gabbard has achieved that Vice President Kamala Harris hasn't?
@dwayne I'm sure you've got a detailed and thoughtful response to this question and I wouldn't want you to miss an opportunity to demonstrate your insights.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Take Russia / Ukraine for example many military experts believe trump will end the war. Yes Ukraine will likely lose out on a few things but what is better a continued expensive war with thousands dying or Ukraine losing some land ?
If only the allies had had that idea when Hitler's Germany invaded Poland, we could have all saved ourselves so much bother

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
The system gives the GOP a leg up. They haven't secured the popular vote in 30 years, they haven't been the majority in America since the days of George Bush Senior.

This doesn't explain why higher turnout will effect it as Democrat support is highly urbanised. And its 2004 the last time it matched.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree - equally embarrassing on both sides.

It was Sofia Patel - Head of Operations at The Labour Party who put the post up on Linkedin.
That doesnā€™t make them Labour staffers, although it was silly of Ms Patel to advertise it that way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would have expected her to be at the least an outstanding candidate, but no , she's divisive , and underwhelming. Holding a lot of senior positions without really enacting any positive change
Most of the positive change is for women, like reducing black maternal mortality, planned parenthood, increasing the number of doules & midwives.
Hardly your area of expertise.

I know itā€™s Buzzfeed but it does list several achievements

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would personally prefer an unfair ceasefire / end of war to continued bloodshed.
I suspect you'd think differently if it was London occupied.

I assume you'd have agreed for the Nazis' to keep what they managed to occupy in WWII ? You know, in the name of peace.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only 20 years actually - 2004 was the last republican popular vote.
This doesn't explain why higher turnout will effect it as Democrat support is highly urbanised. And its 2004 the last time it matched.
But the question was about the Democrats having a majority for a generation. As above - they have won the popular vote over the last 20 years. Which is a 'generation'. And anyway - you keep telling us that the massive influx in immigrants is just to get the Democrat vote up - and that this has been going on for ages. So - you're basically confirming this yourself!

Yes Ive seen them and most of them are Republican.
You have seen the new voters?? And how do you know most of them are Republican?

Zeberdi

ā€œVorsprung durch Technikā€
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
How many wars did trump start last time he was in power ? None?

He usually gets fairly bad deals but he does get people round the table. Putin invaded Ukraine while biden was in charge, coincidence ?

And by the way. My view. Trump if elected would go on the aggressive with Iran, but they won't do anything. They will get obliterated if they start a war.
Are you accusing Kamala Harris of ā€˜starting warsā€™ and thatā€™s a reason to vote for Trump?

Trump ā€˜gets people around the tableā€™ by ignoring human rights abuses and appeasing dictators.

You really have drunk the koolaid havenā€™t you šŸ˜‰

I know you are not particularly pro-Trump and are critical of both sides and I agree with you that both can be heavily critiqued but I really do think it boils down to the lesser of two evils frankly.

Of course Iran will ā€œdo somethingā€œ if attacked by Israel ā€¦

Depending on the level of attack, Hezbollah and the Houthis will launch simultaneous assaults on Israel alongside with Iran. America and the UK will need to get involved to defend Israel. Iran backed terrorist groups in Iraq will attack American bases in Iraq - Syria could retaliate ( backed by Russia) - there could be mass civilian casualties and it will escalate into a regional conflict.

It will cause widespread humanitarian crisis and environmental disasters, the impacts of both being felt for years. A regional war between n the ME will cause a mass mobilisation of civilians and a whole new wave of refugees in the region exacerbating the refugee problems in the west.

No sane person wants to spark a major war in the ME but then the relative sanity of Putin, Trump and Netanyahu is very questionable imo.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
NY, CA, IL - Do the math
You do the math

CA - population 39,356,104; 54 electoral votes; 1 EV per 728,816 people

MT - population 1,091,840; 4 electoral votes; 1 EV per 272,885 people

WY - population 577,929; 3 electoral votes; 1 EV per 192,643 people

And, of course, you conveniently leave out TX and FL, the #2 and #3 states in terms of population.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here