Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 128 37.4%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 194 56.7%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Take Russia / Ukraine for example many military experts believe trump will end the war. Yes Ukraine will likely lose out on a few things but what is better a continued expensive war with thousands dying or Ukraine losing some land ?
And what do you think the new benevolent overlord Vladimir Putin will do to all those who oppose his new occupation of Ukraine? Only I would imagine the thousands dying will just keep dying but without the ability to fight back.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yes, but we know that's all left wing lies and false information so we've got to vote for Mr. Trump to save the world and make America great again - he's the only one telling the truth, all the rest are liars ..........................

God bless save America, :facepalm:
Im not sure some people realise what a very serious crossroads America is at domestically nor what will happen globally after the election and the person whom my post was mainly in response to has conveniently ignored the answer I gave to his question. 🤷🏻‍♂️

For one thing, Israel is holding off retaliating with Iran and launching a direct attack on that Country until after the American election in the hope a Trump Presidency will support Israel taking out Iran’s nuclear facilities ( Trump has previously advocated war with Iran to do just that). That would mean all out war with US/allied involvement. Biden has been stalling on curtailing military backing to Israel because he doesn’t want to alienate the Jewish lobby. Trump is a known Netanyahu sympathiser.

A Biden Presidency would currently only back a limited response and attack on some of Iran’s military installations.

Russia too are currently hedging their bets knowing full well a Trump pro-Russia Presidency would withdraw aid from Ukraine and put pressure on Zelenskyy to concede territory to Putin.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Agree. They've done nothing wrong but it's still highly embarrassing coming so close to the election.

In two weeks time, KS may have to pick up the phone and congratulate President-elect Trump......

Starmer has already picked up the phone and spoken to Trump. He sat down with him for a two hour talk in September and has said multiple times he would work with Trump- he hasn’t sat down with Harris yet.

As for Trump’s complaints, I wouldn’t worry about any ’embarrassment’ tbh.

Perhaps people have forgotten Trump calling London a ’no go area’ leading Boris Johnson to say: “When Donald Trump says there are parts of London that are no-go areas, I think he is betraying a quite stupefying ignorance that makes him frankly unfit to hold the office of the president of the United States."

David Lammy once called Trump a ‘Neo-nazi sociopath’ but he still sat down to dinner with him 6 years later with the UK saying again that they would work with whoever the US electorate returns to the Whitehouse.

It’s just politics - fair weather friends. Enemies today are tomorrow’s friends and vice versa.

Who would have thought nearly 80 years after the end of WWII that Britain and German would sign a defence treaty that will see German military aircraft flying out of Lossiemouth to patrol the North Atlantic!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have a lot of questions on this...
  1. Do you think Russia will be content simply gaining some land?
  2. They gained land in Crimea, did that stop them coming back for more?
  3. Does Ukraine losing land also preclude thousands dying?
  4. Why would Ukraine just let Russia have a part of their country (again)?
  5. What actually is Trump's plan to end the war?
I'll tell you what I think:

1. There is a difference between Russia and Putin. I think Putin would take the land, if offered by Trump. However, the rest of Russia won't care about the Ukrainian lands seized if the Russian economy continues to implode.
2. Putin's agenda is the re-creation of the Soviet Union. If he is offered the land gained I fancy he'll turn his attention to former Soviet lands away from the EU borders, i.e. Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc.
3. The deaths are so numerous they have to count for something on both sides. For Ukraine it will mean at the very least joining NATO and the EU, for Putin it has to be territory. Of course, Putin's successor may feel differently if they were presented with a deal.
4. I think Ukraine are content to keep fighting Putin all the while they have Western financial and military backing, and I don't see that ending any time soon provided Trump is not elected.
5. You have to presume it is based around an offer of land to Russia with NATO membership for Ukraine. Anything less will not satisfy either party.

What you don't hear about so much is nationalism from within the Russian Federation. This is a big deal as many of the conscripts are drawn from the outer regions while Moscow and St Petersburg are insulated from this. Again, economic woes will exacerbate this, and there is an argument for the West continuing to fund the Ukraine war effort in part so that the regions rebel and help bring down Putin.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
The number of people voting for a party, one person, one vote
I will try again, you said.

" Dems can pulled it off is with turnout. They are the majority and have been for a generation"

What is your basis for claiming a democratic majority for a generation? As this has not always been the popular vote, surely if a higher percentage are for Trump then more voters mean more Trump votes as a percentage?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
1) I don't know but what's the alternative ? Continued bloodshed ? Millions down the drain.
2) no
3) If the war stops then yes.
4) what's the alternative?
5) some kind of botched peace plan I'm guessing.

I would personally prefer an unfair ceasefire / end of war to continued bloodshed.
You are Neville Chamberlain and I claim by £5!

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I'm not 100% trump lol. I just try and see both sides.

Erm Tulsi Gabbard is a serious politician, she maybe an opportunist and more religious than the average Brit but she's definitely not head mental. She's probably achieved more in her political career than Kamala.

She gave Kamala a real roasting in the DNC primaries. she has also applied to join the Republican party.

2 other notable Democrats who have switched are Elon Musk and Joe Rogan(Joe to independent, Trump leaning). I could name many others as well.

When I say the left are holding the line this is a prime example of it by smearing everyone who flips.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Im not sure some people realise what a very serious crossroads America is at domestically nor what will happen globally after the election and the person whom my post was mainly in response to has conveniently ignored the answer I gave to his question. 🤷🏻‍♂️

For one thing, Israel is holding off retaliating with Iran and launching a direct attack on that Country until after the American election in the hope a Trump Presidency will support Israel taking out Iran’s nuclear facilities ( Trump has previously advocated war with Iran to do just that). That would mean all out war with US/allied involvement. Biden has been stalling on curtailing military backing to Israel because he doesn’t want to alienate the Jewish lobby. Trump is a known Netanyahu sympathiser.

A Biden Presidency would currently only back a limited response and attack on some of Iran’s military installations.

Russia too are currently hedging their bets knowing full well a Trump pro-Russia Presidency would withdraw aid from Ukraine and put pressure on Zelenskyy to concede territory to Putin.
So there’s a strong chance of a major conflict in the Middle East and a triumphant Putin eyeing up Eastern Europe, but hey we won’t have to keep sending money to Ukraine anymore so swings and roundabouts eh?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You are Neville Chamberlain and I claim by £5!
This is actually harsh on Chamberlain.

Chamberlain wanted peace because the UK was not ready to wage war. Dwayne seemingly wants peace because he wants to stop paying Ukraine to fight Russia on our behalf.

One of those, while misguided, is at least underpinned by noble principles. The other is not.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree. They've done nothing wrong but it's still highly embarrassing coming so close to the election.

In two weeks time, KS may have to pick up the phone and congratulate President-elect Trump......
It’s no more embarrassing than an elected MP and an ex PM backing Trump, the former using British money to do so.

The media are reporting it as Labour staffers, which is inaccurate as some aren’t even Labour member.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Kamala elected? Are you sure?
I think you are getting a little confused. Biden was no more ‘elected’ to become the nominee in the process of the Democratic Party any more than Harris.

Democratic Presidential candidates are formally appointed by the Democratic Convention - the Democratic Primary votes are not formally pledged until the Convention ( unlike the Republican Delegates that pledge their votes to a specific candidate during the Primaries ) which is why Biden’s votes were transferable by virtue of him endorsing Harris.

She ran unopposed and was endorsed by the number of delegates required to put her at the top of the ticket and the nomination..

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So there’s a strong chance of a major conflict in the Middle East and a triumphant Putin eyeing up Eastern Europe, but hey we won’t have to keep sending money to Ukraine anymore so swings and roundabouts eh?
No. :ffsparr:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I personally just don't think it's that black and white.

Take Russia / Ukraine for example many military experts believe trump will end the war. Yes Ukraine will likely lose out on a few things but what is better a continued expensive war with thousands dying or Ukraine losing some land ?

A lot of the left leaning media has trump as a war monger , yet Kamala has the ultimate war monger dick Cheney on her team !!

Why are two serious democrats in Kennedy jr and Tulsi gabbard backing trump ?

And so on.....
If you think Putin will stop at accepting bits of Ukraine, you are deluded. He grabbed the Crimea in 2014, and didn't stop there. There’s a good reason the Baltic states want to align with NATO and the EU.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I personally just don't think it's that black and white.

A lot of the left leaning media has trump as a war monger , yet Kamala has the ultimate war monger dick Cheney on her team !!

Why are two serious democrats in Kennedy jr and Tulsi gabbard backing trump ?

And so on.....
Who are these "many military experts" and are they as naive as you about Putins willingness to stop extending the Russian empire once he has Ukraine?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I will try again, you said.

" Dems can pulled it off is with turnout. They are the majority and have been for a generation"

What is your basis for claiming a democratic majority for a generation? As this has not always been the popular vote, surely if a higher percentage are for Trump then more voters mean more Trump votes as a percentage?
Voters have registered for the first time for this election. When it’s a two horse race, many didn’t bother, but there has been a good uptake of registrations this year.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Voters have registered for the first time for this election. When it’s a two horse race, many didn’t bother, but there has been a good uptake of registrations this year.
That is what continues to fuel my great hope that this will be a Blue wave outcome - there is enormous early voting, people aren't waiting to get their ballot submitted and accepted. I sincerely hope that, finally, all of what is at stake is sinking into the new generation of eligible voters and they're getting out and getting their ballots cast.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How did it look under trump ?

Trump is clearly an absolute fruitcake but all this mass hysteria about the world being in danger etc if he gets in power I take with a pinch of salt. In his last presidency, apart from COVID, which was hardly his fault, the world didn't fall apart and it was a lot more peaceful than now around the globe.

The issue this time is Russia's war against Ukraine and democracy. If Trump helps Putin, Ukraine could be lost. Otherwise I'd agree with you, there'd only be so much damage he could do.

As for Kamala, genuinely what has she ever done? Pretty much absolutely nothing. It was always a stupid candidate to put up against trump.

I see the bookies now have trump as very strong favourite.

What do you expect her to have done? She's had a good career and is a good candidate. That Trump is favourite is a sad reflection on the US, and the misinformation that's rife.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It’s no more embarrassing than an elected MP and an ex PM backing Trump, the former using British money to do so.

The media are reporting it as Labour staffers, which is inaccurate as some aren’t even Labour member.
Agree - equally embarrassing on both sides.

It was Sofia Patel - Head of Operations at The Labour Party who put the post up on Linkedin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here