Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter 'It's all the British fault'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice to hear Dyke standing up to Blatter and calling it like it is. Too many bad things have happened under Blatters watch, time to go you old corrupt dinosaur.

Mannie

Jun 4, 2014
Brighton
Eh? One of the prime drivers for Qatar was Michel Platini, UEFA boss. How would that help?

Most of the indignation about Qatar is mere froth; something to occupy people on social media. There's no real anger about it, otherwise we would be seeing boycotts of Coca Cola, Sony, BP etc but there's nothing like that. We'd see people refusing to go to World Cups, but there's none of that either.

We all know that, even though they're dodgy as hell, the next WC will be in Russia and the one after that will be Qatar and that there will be thousands of England fans there, all happily drinking Budweiser.

Have worked in Doha off and on over the years and I don't think people generally realise just how small it is, around the size of Sussex. More pointedly there are only a handful of business and therefore expensive hotels where you can get a beer - nowhere else. Its a very conservative country and I can't see them suddenly declaring beer for all .

Anyway Budweiser isn't a beer - wasn't it excluded from the tournament in Germany a few years back because the ingredients didn't meet their requirements for beer!

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
heard the interview with the dutch official yesterday.. staag something... really warmed to him. I think he was the one who took the floor to point out blatter's responsibility not to stand for election again and the reasons why! he could do a job, but when asked if he would stand, he said no. unsure if I favour platini either to be honest...but better him than blatter surely?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Nice to hear Dyke standing up to Blatter and calling it like it is. Too many bad things have happened under Blatters watch, time to go you old corrupt dinosaur.

Was quite surprised to hear Dyke be so outspoken yesterday, but as he says, we have no relationship with FIFA to lose, so what the hell. Unfortunately Blatter seems to have support from everyone except Europe so he will prevail for now and little if anything changed.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Fine. Trickle down. UEFA breaks away from FIFA. give it a couple of years, then Premier League breaks away from UEFA or a cricket-equivalent Kerry Packer/IPL type set-up emerges. It's all up for grabs. Seems patently obvious to me that its only a matter of time, probably within five years, that the Champions League will be exactly that, and the Premier League will be bumped down a rung on the footballing ladder.

I agree. I can't see the owners of top European clubs accepting the carnage that the 2022 calendar will give us. Add to that, some envious eyes looking at the 2.5bn profit FIFA made from the Germany World Cup, and of course they'll think "we want some of that."

All UEFA/ FIFA can ever do is threaten expulsion, and that's when you get a Kerry Packer "rebel" version. If the top clubs in England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and Holland all stand up to FIFA and get thrown out, they could easily form their own competitions, including a rebel World Cup. Blimey, there is even a convenient free slot in the summer of 2022 to hold it. It might not carry the FIFA logo, but if the players from those 6 "rebel" leagues provide the players, then you'll hardly notice the difference.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree. I can't see the owners of top European clubs accepting the carnage that the 2022 calendar will give us. Add to that, some envious eyes looking at the 2.5bn profit FIFA made from the Germany World Cup, and of course they'll think "we want some of that."

All UEFA/ FIFA can ever do is threaten expulsion, and that's when you get a Kerry Packer "rebel" version. If the top clubs in England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and Holland all stand up to FIFA and get thrown out, they could easily form their own competitions, including a rebel World Cup. Blimey, there is even a convenient free slot in the summer of 2022 to hold it. It might not carry the FIFA logo, but if the players from those 6 "rebel" leagues provide the players, then you'll hardly notice the difference.

Agree, I would imagine some of the leagues may have held talks between them about what they should do if they keep pushing for the Summer world cup

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Add to that, some envious eyes looking at the 2.5bn profit FIFA made from the Germany World Cup
No, silly. FIFA is a non profit organisation, you must be mistaken.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With EUFA on the case, FIFA should now be very, very worried. For all the back-slapping in Asia and Africa, if the top European countries leave FIFA then the World Cup will be devalued considerably. Aside from Argentina and Brazil it's the European giants that the world pays to see. Fingers crossed that Blatter digs his heels in and that the enquiry is a whitewash. Blatter will then be the master of his own downfall.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
heard the interview with the dutch official yesterday.. staag something... really warmed to him. I think he was the one who took the floor to point out blatter's responsibility not to stand for election again and the reasons why! he could do a job, but when asked if he would stand, he said no. unsure if I favour platini either to be honest...but better him than blatter surely?

Much as I despise Blatter and the utter cess pit of corruption that he has made FIFA under his tenure. In respect of Platini......

Platini is the only member of the FIFA comittee that has stated that he voted for Qatar (it is known that Blatter voted for USA)
Paris St Germain following the successful bid now has mega sponsorship from Qatari backers
Platini son works for a Qatari owned company

What an organisation!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Much as I despise Blatter and the utter cess pit of corruption that he has made FIFA under his tenure. In respect of Platini......

Platini is the only member of the FIFA comittee that has stated that he voted for Qatar (it is known that Blatter voted for USA)
Paris St Germain following the successful bid now has mega sponsorship from Qatari backers
Platini son works for a Qatari owned company

What an organisation!

Isn't platini meant to be interested in becoming the president of FIFA himself?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you could push a button, and Blatter or Platini would die (your choice), would you push it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can't I just have a button that removes them from their positions?
No.

I'm pretty sure killing people is bad form. But think how many thousands of lives would be saved if they died, and the WC was no longer in Qatar.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, silly. FIFA is a non profit organisation, you must be mistaken.

just mean they give all the money away. to what i still cant fathom, i have visions of third world towns with no running water but a 10k seater stadium with modern changing rooms, gym and sundries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here