Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RWC Semi-Final Wales v France

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Why on earth it was not at least reviewed is beyond me, thought that was the whole point of the review system ?

I think the review system can only be used for confirming tries and used solely for use on the try area.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
# "Rolland u've had a shocker.... Not the first time either!!! We're not here to watch u.... (England wing Mark Cueto)
# "Should have been a yellow but never a red, poor Sam he's been the heart and soul of Wales! (England full-back Ben Foden)
# " Yellow card, no one says another word. Sam Warbuton wrongly sent off. " (Scotland scrum-half Rory Lawson)
# "Really gutted for Wales - never a red card" (Ex-Scotland lock Doddie Weir)
# "Gutted for the Welsh lads been team of the tournament!" (England centre Mike Tindall)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The IRB has also said that in rugby union a spear tackle should be a straight red card. An IRB memorandum on dangerous tackles from 8 June 2009 states: "At a subsequent IRB High Performance Referee Seminar at Lensbury referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards.
But it's not even clear it was a spear tackle, because he let go. That doesn't mean I'm saying he didn't commit a foul, it was a penalty, and possibly a yellow card incident. Anyway, I'm bored of discussing egg chasing now, see you on a similar thread in 4 years.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Referee played the rules not the occassion, dangerous play deserves to be punished and well done to him. Rolland is one of the best refs out there.

Sorry Dr Q you are wrong. There were two other supposed "spear" tackles this tournament. Both ended with yellows.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Law 10 Foul Play: (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick." There was a clarification in 2009. "The IRFU has requested a ruling with regard Law 10-Foul Play. Current Law prohibits the tackling of a player who is in the air, either in the line out or in open play. The Law is designed to protect players, and to prevent them landing on the ground, on their heads or upper body.
It appears a serious anomaly, therefore, that a player(s) can deliberately lift an opponent off his feet and then may drop (or 'spear') the opponent so that he lands head down or on his upper body.
1. 10 4(e) Foul Play -Dangerous tackling. Does the action of deliberately lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle so that he may then be dropped (or 'speared') so that he lands on his head or upper body constitute tackling 'dangerously' as defined in this Law.
2. Law 10 -Foul Play. Does the action described in 1 by definition contrary to the letter and spirit of the laws and constitutes, per se, an act of foul play should it occur in general play; e.g. a player, on the fringes of ruck or maul, so lifted.
Ruling of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
1. The act of lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle AND dropping or 'spearing' that player so that his head and/or upper body comes into contact with the ground first, is a dangerous tackle.
2. The dangerous play described in 1. above is considered dangerous play no matter where it occurs in the game."

As already stated in this thread, two other supposed "spear" tackles happened. Punishment was yellow cards. Both look more harsh than this one! Poor decision. Game ruined.

That said, what will probably hurt Wales the most is they still should have won the game.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
As already stated in this thread, two other supposed "spear" tackles happened. Punishment was yellow cards. Both look more harsh than this one! Poor decision. Game ruined.

That said, what will probably hurt Wales the most is they still should have won the game.

was the ref the best ref in the game like this game?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Alain Rolland wikipedia

Alain Rolland (born 22 August 1966) is a former Irish rugby union footballer and current international referee.

Rolland, whose father is French,

Oh Dear!

Now I am not suggesting for a moment any biased position here.

What I am suggesting is what a ridiculous decision it was to make this guy the referee today. He only has to make a mistake and his impartiality is questioned. The IRB really need to think a bit more about who they get to officiate these matches.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Alain Rolland wikipedia

Alain Rolland (born 22 August 1966) is a former Irish rugby union footballer and current international referee.

Rolland, whose father is French,

Oh Dear!

Now I am not suggesting for a moment any biased position here.

What I am suggesting is what a ridiculous decision it was to make this guy the referee today. He only has to make a mistake and his impartiality is questioned. The IRB really need to think a bit more about who they get to officiate these matches.

:facepalm:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Signs of rugby going the football route, the ref did follow the letter of the law but historically refs have been able to interprete the rules to the benefit of the game. It was harsh on Wales but hey it happens and ironically I think France have a better chance of winning the final

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Signs of rugby going the football route, the ref did follow the letter of the law but historically refs have been able to interprete the rules to the benefit of the game. It was harsh on Wales but hey it happens and ironically I think France have a better chance of winning the final

Love to know your thoughts on that.

If France had been anywhere up to Wales standard today they would have won that game easily.

In international rugby and closely contested Heineken matches you pretty much accept that playing 10 minutes with a man down can be enough to lose you the game but today Wales had 60 minutes of it.

I expect either Australia or New Zealand do demolish France next week unless France get another game given to them somehow!

Funnily enough in the last WC France were involved in the biggest contentious refereed game as well. Again being the lucky ones knocking out New Zealand.

This is getting a bit bizzare now. as far as I acn tell I am the only Welshman on this thread and have accepted the referees decision to send Warburton off.

I think he was wrong to do so and at worst a yellow (10 minutes sin bin) should have sufficed but his interpretation of the incident was, dangerous and malicious. The referee's word is final. live with it, I have.

And if our kicking game was on then a win with 14 men would have been the outcome anyway.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
take that wales. Stop whining about sending off. Should they only be sent off if their neck is broken?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
But it's not even clear it was a spear tackle, because he let go. That doesn't mean I'm saying he didn't commit a foul, it was a penalty, and possibly a yellow card incident. Anyway, I'm bored of discussing egg chasing now, see you on a similar thread in 4 years.

Go back and read the law that was quoted. It makes it clear that there is no distinction between actually being speared into the ground and being lifted and then dropped.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don't lift him the air in the first place. "Oh I lifted you up, apologies. Now i'll let go so you land on your head."

Duty of care are the key words in this instance

The lad drove in correctly but the French boy weighed about 4 stone less and ended up being lifted. It happens as well you would know if you had ever played the game. Anyway wussy wingers coming inside.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here