Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RWC Semi-Final Wales v France

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Paddy Power just announced that all losing bets on Wales to be refunded as loss attributed to a wrong referee decision.

Ex-players and people who know what they are talking about = wrong decision

NSC posters with petty hatred of Wales = right decision

Really, some people's brains turn to poo when they get all emotional.

:facepalm:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It was a definate sending off offence, he could have broken the french guys neck!!(that said there is 60,000 people in the Millenium stadium who will disagree with me :)

This. Rule is quite clear. No intent to do harm but still a dangerous tackle and a red card. despite that Wales were great and outplayed France. Shame about two missed kicks -one easy one in the first half where he slipped.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why on earth it was not at least reviewed is beyond me, thought that was the whole point of the review system ?
It's outrageous, the wrong team is now in the final

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Referee played the rules not the occassion, dangerous play deserves to be punished and well done to him. Rolland is one of the best refs out there.

Pleased the Welsh are out, I feared given the injuries to key Kiwi and Oz players that they could have gone on and won the whole thing. And then the Welsh would have been more unbearable than they already are.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed, but the history books will only say France 9 Wales 8.

Wales did not score more points than France and therefore deserved to lose.
What a daft opinion. So you're saying that in the history of all sport, all teams that win, deserved to win, and all teams that lose, deserve to lose, purely because that's what the score says.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It was a Spear Tackle, It you lift a player with his feet above his head, it is your responsibility to ensure he lands safely - not f***ing dump him on his head.

Maybe you should carry a cushion to slip under him before he goes down then. Stupid wording that is not adhered to by any other ref in this or any other tournament in history. He realised that he had lifted the guy and then pulled out, what was he supposed to do ? It was not malicious and so it was a yellow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I watch rugby every week and go and played for 19+years the current letter of the law says that tackle was a red card
Can you quote the current letter of the law here to prove your point?

This. Rule is quite clear. No intent to do harm but still a dangerous tackle and a red card. despite that Wales were great and outplayed France. Shame about two missed kicks -one easy one in the first half where he slipped.

I really believe that at any other game this would have been dealt with by a Yellow, It's all down to the interpretation of the laws.

That said, i'm not at all bitter about it, I can see why he sent him off.

And one more point, there are no rules in rugby, only laws.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Can you quote the current letter of the law here to prove your point?

Law 10 Foul Play: (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick." There was a clarification in 2009. "The IRFU has requested a ruling with regard Law 10-Foul Play. Current Law prohibits the tackling of a player who is in the air, either in the line out or in open play. The Law is designed to protect players, and to prevent them landing on the ground, on their heads or upper body.
It appears a serious anomaly, therefore, that a player(s) can deliberately lift an opponent off his feet and then may drop (or 'spear') the opponent so that he lands head down or on his upper body.
1. 10 4(e) Foul Play -Dangerous tackling. Does the action of deliberately lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle so that he may then be dropped (or 'speared') so that he lands on his head or upper body constitute tackling 'dangerously' as defined in this Law.
2. Law 10 -Foul Play. Does the action described in 1 by definition contrary to the letter and spirit of the laws and constitutes, per se, an act of foul play should it occur in general play; e.g. a player, on the fringes of ruck or maul, so lifted.
Ruling of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
1. The act of lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle AND dropping or 'spearing' that player so that his head and/or upper body comes into contact with the ground first, is a dangerous tackle.
2. The dangerous play described in 1. above is considered dangerous play no matter where it occurs in the game."

What a daft opinion. So you're saying that in the history of all sport, all teams that win, deserved to win, and all teams that lose, deserve to lose, purely because that's what the score says.

it's not a daft opinion, You have to score more points than the opposition to be winners.

I think Wales could have won and probably should have but the score still says Wales 8 france 9, I am trying to be philisophical about this, I'm welsh and am gutted but that's just the way sport goes.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This is great as I hate to see the Welsh Win, as I do Scotland. In these countries there is a term which is ABE "Anyone But England" and as such why all these English people have decided to support the Welsh is beyond me!

Allez le bleus

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it's not a daft opinion, You have to score more points than the opposition to be winners.
Yes, it is a completely daft opinion. Of course you have to score more to win - der. You have said that you only deserve to win if you score more, ie, no team in the history of sport has lost when they deserved to win - ie, referees/umpires making wrong decisions does not effect whether a team deserves to win. That's just plain daft.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Law 10 Foul Play: (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick." There was a clarification in 2009. "The IRFU has requested a ruling with regard Law 10-Foul Play. Current Law prohibits the tackling of a player who is in the air, either in the line out or in open play. The Law is designed to protect players, and to prevent them landing on the ground, on their heads or upper body.
It appears a serious anomaly, therefore, that a player(s) can deliberately lift an opponent off his feet and then may drop (or 'spear') the opponent so that he lands head down or on his upper body.
1. 10 4(e) Foul Play -Dangerous tackling. Does the action of deliberately lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle so that he may then be dropped (or 'speared') so that he lands on his head or upper body constitute tackling 'dangerously' as defined in this Law.
2. Law 10 -Foul Play. Does the action described in 1 by definition contrary to the letter and spirit of the laws and constitutes, per se, an act of foul play should it occur in general play; e.g. a player, on the fringes of ruck or maul, so lifted.
Ruling of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
1. The act of lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle AND dropping or 'spearing' that player so that his head and/or upper body comes into contact with the ground first, is a dangerous tackle.
2. The dangerous play described in 1. above is considered dangerous play no matter where it occurs in the game."
Thanks for posting that.

So that means it should have been a penalty. What does is say for when to give a red or yellow?

Yes, it is a completely daft opinion. Of course you have to score more to win - der. You have said that you only deserve to win if you score more, ie, no team in the history of sport has lost when they deserved to win - ie, referees/umpires making wrong decisions does not effect whether a team deserves to win. That's just plain daft.

yes, you are right there. but not in this case. The referee interpreted the law as a red card and that decision has to be respected.

Brown if on a bacon sandwich.

Edit: HP brown that is, not your daddies rubbish.

when I saw I had a reply I was expecting a slgging off for my childish anti Welsh comment, it's just a couple of trips to South Wales with the Albion and a few visits here by Cardiff can put some/me of an entire race, sorry, personal opinion thats all (meanwhile, at the Le Harve friendly I was made welcome in some bars like I was a long lost brother)

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Thanks for posting that.

So that means it should have been a penalty. What does is say for when to give a red or yellow?

The IRB has also said that in rugby union a spear tackle should be a straight red card. An IRB memorandum on dangerous tackles from 8 June 2009 states: "At a subsequent IRB High Performance Referee Seminar at Lensbury referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here