Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Brand Urges Us To Vote Labour

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you listen to someone and change your mind you're a hypocrite. If you listen and don't change your mind you're blinkered. It's a tough world.

:lolol: enjoying the notion that Brand listens to anyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if Russell Brand is your idea of intelligent then thats all i need to know about yours.

Well, he certainly seems more quick-witted than you.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Aah!!! Good old political debate, nothing like keeping your views to yourself and voting for what you personally deem the benefits of voting for one party or another.

I don't mind what conclusion Russell Brand has come to but why tell everyone else who to vote for, doesn't he think his followers have a brain and an opinion of their own, or does he assume they're all dunces and will do as he says, I certainly hope not?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Look at all the big business' and the majority of newspapers coming down on the side of the Tories.

And here is part time Looney and much berated Russell Brand taking them on by coming down on the side of Labour. Thursday will see whether or not David's sling shoots down Goliath. I am looking forward to the battle

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I know Brand is a comedian but this is no joke. He has spent the last year or so banging on about not voting and then tells us not only to vote but who to vote for! We were told about the dangers of the media and Rupert Murdoch trying to set the political agenda, well frankly now I am more worried about the fact that some egotistical comedian can set up a youtube get a million + subscribers and then seek to influence their votes. Last weeks Trews election week has been as one sided as a Sean Hanity broadcast. Are we seriously meant to believe that Russell Brand whole political viewpoint on voting was swayed by that short, bland scripted interview with Ed Miliband?? No, much more likely is that the whole week was leading up to this point in order to properly ram home the message. From the moment brand casually drops 'I like Ed Miliband' in to one of the early videos alarm bells started to ring. Now we are told that based on some vague mention of the importance of community that a vote for Ed Miliband can kick start Brands revolution! Well remember 'things can only get better' and the Tony Blair campaign, then reflect on the Iraq war, overspending and out of control banks, and ask yourself if Ed Miliband is going to be any different?? I doubt it very much.

I know Brand is a comedian but this is no joke. He has spent the last year or so banging on about not voting and then tells us not only to vote but who to vote for! We were told about the dangers of the media and Rupert Murdoch trying to set the political agenda, well frankly now I am more worried about the fact that some egotistical comedian can set up a youtube get a million + subscribers and then seek to influence their votes

This is utterly illogical - the complaint about the Tory press influencing people is the monopolistic nature of press ownership damaging democracy and perverting genuine free speech. You or I cannot set up a national newspaper, we do not have hundreds of millions to toss about. But both of us could if we wanted set up a youtube channel and attract subscribers as Brand has done.

His seeking to "influence their votes" is genuine free speech.

As for being different to Tony Blair, he defeated his brother David, a Blairite, precisely because Ed was critical of the pro-Tory policies of New Labour. And Ed Miliband stopped us repeating the Iraq war in Syria by rallying a parliamentary majority against it two years ago when the Tories were as desperate to attack as they were in Iraq!

D

Deleted member 22389

Quite frankly I wish all celebrities would stop endorsing these Politicial parties, it seems to be mainly Labour.
All these celebs telling us who to vote for, are all millionaires. Lucky for them they got rich from their Tory, Lib Dem, Labour and UKIP supporters before this.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Why? Because I find the rightwingers reactions to this comedian, everytime there is a thread concerning him funny? ok mate...plus we are aiming for 10 pages, and you have described politics pretty well.
That would be true...if you could call RB a comedian...nothing funny about a guy who preaches 'Save the poor' (Robin Hood...Nah!) whilst living the life of a multi millionaire,destroying a real comedian by saying he bedded his grandaughter...yeah,really funny...not!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That would be true...if you could call RB a comedian...nothing funny about a guy who preaches 'Save the poor' (Robin Hood...Nah!) whilst living the life of a multi millionaire,destroying a real comedian by saying he bedded his grandaughter...yeah,really funny...not!

ironically in just one U turn Brand has resurrected
his comedy career

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This is utterly illogical - the complaint about the Tory press influencing people is the monopolistic nature of press ownership damaging democracy and perverting genuine free speech. You or I cannot set up a national newspaper, we do not have hundreds of millions to toss about. But both of us could if we wanted set up a youtube channel and attract subscribers as Brand has done.

His seeking to "influence their votes" is genuine free speech.

As for being different to Tony Blair, he defeated his brother David, a Blairite, precisely because Ed was critical of the pro-Tory policies of New Labour. And Ed Miliband stopped us repeating the Iraq war in Syria by rallying a parliamentary majority against it two years ago when the Tories were as desperate to attack as they were in Iraq!

Actually, the whole original premise of the Trews was to provide a unbiased narrative on the news, exposing the hidden agendas of the media In order to get to the truth of an issue. All well and good until Brand then serves up his own one sided attempt to influence people to vote with his 'Trews politics week'. In exactly the same way that Brand exposes a Sean Hannity news piece it is easy to dismantle the 'Trews politics week' as being a scripted piece of propaganda designed to coerce his subscribers in to voting for labour.

The thing is I do believe in the original premise of not voting as it gives legitimacy to a democratic system that actively encourages the type of tactical voting that Brand himself is now endorsing. History has shown us time and time again that our political system cannot deliver any real significant change. Its very easy to say the right things in opposition but once parties gain power its a different story altogether.

Nothing against Ed Miliband but I simply can't see given the constraints that he will be any different and to suggest that a vote for him would be the start of a revolution - that is laughable!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Whoever the next PM is....Tory or Labour, there will have to be cuts,there will have to be more borrowing,depends if you want the 'medicine' in a huge gulp or slowly,sip by sip.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
for what is worth (not much im sure), my accusation of hypocrisy isnt anything to do with his wealth. its to do with the fact he espoused a belief that the current political system isnt worth anything, but didnt offer any alternative, wrote a book on the matter, and now turns around and suggest which political party to vote for.

Fair points but I often feel like he did in the run up to a general election. Then it dawns on me. I'm definetly on the side of the hypocrites this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here