Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Brand Urges Us To Vote Labour

D

Deleted member 22389

Except that Nige has made the idea that he *is* different from the others a keystone of UKIP's campaign. His "look at me I'm a normal bloke and they've never done a real day's work in their lives" act sticks in the craw when it comes from a man who went to a public school, worked as a city trader and then went straight in to politics. Like many other things, a real day's work is relative.

Fair enough, like I said they are all as bad as each other. If UKIP crash and burn after Thursday that's the way it goes.
I will still vote for them after that until we get a fair and proper referendum on the EU and something is done properly with migration.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you listen to someone and change your mind you're a hypocrite.
If he'd simply said he was disillusioned with British politics and didn't think his vote would matter, and then he changed his mind, that would be ok. It's the fact that he's written a book and preached about our 'broken system' and 'corrupt governments'. He's put himself forward as an expert on politics, and told us that we need revolution. And now he says 'oh, that revolution is to vote Labour'. It's embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 22389

If he'd simply said he was disillusioned with British politics and didn't think his vote would matter, and then he changed his mind, that would be ok. It's the fact that he's written a book and preached about our 'broken system' and 'corrupt governments'. He's put himself forward as an expert on politics, and told us that we need revolution. And now he says 'oh, that revolution is to vote Labour'. It's embarrassing.

Personally I think it is a big mistake for any Celebs to be backing political parties. We buy their merchandise, support them and when they come out insulting other political parties they might as well just insult some of their own customers. That's my view of things.

Not as embarrassing as right wingers pissing their pants for the best part of two days on here about it though?

15 pages now - I salute Comrade Brand :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not as embarrassing as right wingers pissing their pants for the best part of two days on here about it though?
Oo that does sound embarrassing - who's pissed their pants, come on, name and shame.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh yes they do

To be fair he's got a better basic grasp of the issues than 90% of the people there. Could do with some elocution lessons and a sharp suit though

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I quite like Russell Brand, he talks a lot of sense. If you watched the whole of the Trews election week, he looked at all parties and gave his personal viewpoint on each of them. He likes the Greens, I believe even saying that the 'Greens are the people you would want heading a revolution'. However as there is no chance of the Greens getting a majority vote, voting Green wouldn't actually change much until such a time that the voting system changes completely.

I also question, if Russell has his own political agenda, then why is he endorsing a vote for a party that will likely result in him being taxed more? All along he has been banging on about it being a fairer more equal society, governed by the people and not by multinational corporations. Yes he is sometimes irritating and he's certainly outspoken, but he's doing some good things (New Era housing estate), and is trying to use his 'celebrity image' for the greater good.

I quite like Russell Brand, he talks a lot of sense. If you watched the whole of the Trews election week, he looked at all parties and gave his personal viewpoint on each of them. He likes the Greens, I believe even saying that the 'Greens are the people you would want heading a revolution'. However as there is no chance of the Greens getting a majority vote, voting Green wouldn't actually change much until such a time that the voting system changes completely.

I also question, if Russell has his own political agenda, then why is he endorsing a vote for a party that will likely result in him being taxed more? All along he has been banging on about it being a fairer more equal society, governed by the people and not by multinational corporations. Yes he is sometimes irritating and he's certainly outspoken, but he's doing some good things (New Era housing estate), and is trying to use his 'celebrity image' for the greater good.

Voice of reason at last.

What I would add also is that this "don't vote" stuff was always torn out of context to discredit him. His stress was always "I don't see anyone worth voting for", never that people should not exercise their democratic rights. This became a cheap, insincere way to marginalise his challenge to the status quo as he was never arguing for passivity.

I've always defended Brand from this charge even as a strong Labour voter myself (I still disagree with him as I will be voting for Purna Sen and not Lucas) - because I never believed anyone stirred into action by his call to arms would then end up abstaining. Brand has merely followed the logic of his own challenge to the elites, he may or may not regret his support for Miliband in the future - but he will be no different to me or the millions who intend to vote Labour in that regard.

The fact we are on 16 pages already of mostly right-wing bile is a great compliment to Brand - for some reason he scares those of a right-wing persuasion shitless. I love that about Brand, more power to his campaign.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

15 pages now - I salute Comrade Brand :thumbsup:

Labour have hit over 10 million Twitter accounts, have over a million YouTube views and are splattered over every media outlet there is..... without spending a penny on this particular advertising campaign. And how much are the Tories paying their strategy guy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Voice of reason at last.

What I would add also is that this "don't vote" stuff was always torn out of context to discredit him. His stress was always "I don't see anyone worth voting for", never that people should not exercise their democratic rights. This became a cheap, insincere way to marginalise his challenge to the status quo as he was never arguing for passivity.

I've always defended Brand from this charge even as a strong Labour voter myself (I still disagree with him as I will be voting for Purna Sen and not Lucas) - because I never believed anyone stirred into action by his call to arms would then end up abstaining. Brand has merely followed the logic of his own challenge to the elites, he may or may not regret his support for Miliband in the future - but he will be no different to me or the millions who intend to vote Labour in that regard.

The fact we are on 16 pages already of mostly right-wing bile is a great compliment to Brand - for some reason he scares those of a right-wing persuasion shitless. I love that about Brand, more power to his campaign.

Very much this.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Fear is the only real conclusion. Im not really bothered by him really, but as I said earlier, he has something that makes rightwingers lose their minds.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm waiting for the ever-changing view of Janette Krankie on her weekly youtube politico-beanstalk-tumble opinion pieces. What I like about her is her willingness to change opinion at the mere offer of either £74 or a voucher for a month's free neck shaves (front and back), and that her luggings whilst chatting on air to local representatives of the community are from bottles of tepid-looking bottles of Tesco Everyday Value White Rum, causing her to weep and sometimes brawl. She has a necklace made of the teeth she's punched free from the mouths of guests, each gnasher decorated in the colour of the party the invitee might possibly at some point have mentioned being associated with. Heavy smoking Libdems are a good money-saver.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Personally I think it is a big mistake for any Celebs to be backing political parties. We buy their merchandise, support them and when they come out insulting other political parties they might as well just insult some of their own customers. That's my view of things.

Indeed. I was a massive Ian Brady fan but went right off him when he came out as a Ukip supporter.

And then he discovered the unknown, not talked about Labour party.......

Ha - fair point. But the evolution of Miliband - is he a Blairite or is he attempting to do something new??? - has been the subject of live speculation and has exercised our finest political analyst minds. No one knows - Brand is taking Miliband at his word that he will make a much bigger difference than Blair did. We will see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here