Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Brand Urges Us To Vote Labour

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Voice of reason at last.

What I would add also is that this "don't vote" stuff was always torn out of context to discredit him. His stress was always "I don't see anyone worth voting for", never that people should not exercise their democratic rights. This became a cheap, insincere way to marginalise his challenge to the status quo as he was never arguing for passivity.

What are you talking about? His argument has always been the the political system itself is corrupted and that participation in the democratic process gives legitimacy to the ruling elite and protects the status quo. Read for yourself:

"When people talk about politics within the existing Westminster framework I feel a dull thud in my stomach and my eyes involuntarily glaze. Like when I’m conversing and the subject changes from me and moves on to another topic. I try to remain engaged but behind my eyes I am adrift in immediate nostalgia; “How happy I was earlier in this chat,” I instantly think.

I have never voted. Like most people I am utterly disenchanted by politics. Like most people I regard politicians as frauds and liars and the current political system as nothing more than a bureaucratic means for furthering the augmentation and advantages of economic elites. Billy Connolly said: “Don’t vote, it encourages them,” and, “The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one.”

I don’t vote because to me it seems like a tacit act of compliance; I know, I know my grandparents fought in two world wars (and one World Cup) so that I’d have the right to vote. Well, they were conned. As far as I’m concerned there is nothing to vote for. I feel it is a far more potent political act to completely renounce the current paradigm than to participate in even the most trivial and tokenistic manner, by obediently X-ing a little box."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/russell-brand-on-revolution

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What are you talking about? His argument has always been the the political system itself is corrupted and that participation in the democratic process gives legitimacy to the ruling elite and protects the status quo. Read for yourself:

"When people talk about politics within the existing Westminster framework I feel a dull thud in my stomach and my eyes involuntarily glaze. Like when I’m conversing and the subject changes from me and moves on to another topic. I try to remain engaged but behind my eyes I am adrift in immediate nostalgia; “How happy I was earlier in this chat,” I instantly think.

I have never voted. Like most people I am utterly disenchanted by politics. Like most people I regard politicians as frauds and liars and the current political system as nothing more than a bureaucratic means for furthering the augmentation and advantages of economic elites. Billy Connolly said: “Don’t vote, it encourages them,” and, “The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one.”

I don’t vote because to me it seems like a tacit act of compliance; I know, I know my grandparents fought in two world wars (and one World Cup) so that I’d have the right to vote. Well, they were conned. As far as I’m concerned there is nothing to vote for. I feel it is a far more potent political act to completely renounce the current paradigm than to participate in even the most trivial and tokenistic manner, by obediently X-ing a little box."

He's allowed to change his mind though? He certainly did with Katie Perry.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course he is allowed to change his mind. However you have to question the sanity of a man who changes his whole outlook based on a 15 min meeting in the middle of the night with Ed Miliband!

Either Brand is as mad as a box of frogs, Ed Miliband is the second coming of Jesus or some behind the scenes deal has been done between Brand and Labour in order to gain his support.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

obviously it was an attempt to connect with the younger vote - very interesting reason for the timing. problem is that the audience are most likely either to pay no attention, or if they do then its too late and they wont be registered.

i foresee lots of interviews polling day with dis-enfranchised youth complaining they couldn't vote.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What I don't understand about Brand's "Road to Damascus" transformation is what does he think has changed in the Labour Party since the last GE in 2010?

Ed Miliband, Ed Balls, Harriet Harman, Yvette Cooper, Douglas Alexander, Andy Burnham, Hilary Benn were all prominent officiers in the last Gordon Brown Cabinet and they're still the main "hitters" in the 2015 Shadow Cabinet. Policies have hardly changed, there's just been admission by Ed Miliband that Labour got it wrong on housebuilding / immigration / PFI / commencing tuition fees / Iraq war etc.

Is Brand endorsing Labour simply because Ed Miliband is HONEST?

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Never listen to anyone in their ivory tower telling us that the we are hard done by and the country is not working..........

Bollox to celebrities and their political endorsements....

I would not listen to a man and in a pub about politics, so why should I or we hold someone who can sing, draw or act with any more credence than a nob in a pub..... or on a message board :down:

Worlds mad I tell yee.........

Indeed, the key line there is "As far as I’m concerned there is nothing to vote for" - as I said. Keep up Half Time Pies. At every election you can re-assess that.

There's just been admission by Ed Miliband that Labour got it wrong on housebuilding / immigration / PFI / commencing tuition fees / Iraq war etc

That's a big change. You want to listen to what Blairites think of Ed Miliband and you will see how significant it is.

20 pages :O

D

Deleted member 22389

Never listen to anyone in their ivory tower telling us that the we are hard done by and the country is not working..........

Bollox to celebrities and their political endorsements....

I would not listen to a man and in a pub about politics, so why should I or we hold someone who can sing, draw or act with any more credence than a nob in a pub..... or on a message board :down:

Worlds mad I tell yee.........

Start up your own political party, then in 10 years time you can start splitting the vote.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Indeed, the key line there is "As far as I’m concerned there is nothing to vote for" - as I said. Keep up Half Time Pies. At every election you can re-assess that.

Ha, ha, no you conveniently stopped just before the key line which was: "I feel it is a far more potent political act to completely renounce the current paradigm than to participate in even the most trivial and tokenistic manner, by obediently X-ing a little box".

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
As for being different to Tony Blair, he defeated his brother David, a Blairite, precisely because Ed was critical of the pro-Tory policies of New Labour. And Ed Miliband stopped us repeating the Iraq war in Syria by rallying a parliamentary majority against it two years ago when the Tories were as desperate to attack as they were in Iraq!

He’s the most populist and opportunist leader I’ve ever known in British politics. At the last minute he turned and wretchedly set an ambush for David Cameron! Cameron after the vote stated “I get it!” - walked away - and left Miliband gaping open mouthed.

The call to Parliament was to discuss possible options in the light of the world’s horror at the use of chemical weapons against civilians and Barrack Obamas ‘red line’ dilemma. Nothing like Iraq!

As a consequence Cameron wound never trust Miliband again – the President was weakened - and the Syrians suffer their hell alone.

I haven’t voted Labour since the seventies but there are many, many individual Labour people I have respected and even admired – but not Miliband. For me his character is contemptible.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here