Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reasons to hate the French

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I've actually had the misfortune to have been stuck at several of Paris' grubby and litter-strewn beggar dens that they call stations. Gare du Nord is a dump, Gare de l'Oest is a dump, Gare Saint-Lazare is a dump... You get the idea.

AND for what it's worth, I've been lucky enough to have travelled a lot in my lifetime, often to some very poor countries. HOWEVER I have never visited a city where I was pestered by beggars as much as I was in gay Paris. They just will not leave you alone and can get quite aggressive.

An absolute toilet of a city. I would sooner live in Redhill

You've obviously not been to the world's most over-rated city, London. Self-congratulating and smug! Sadly it was a good city in 60s and 70s. Now the transport system doesn't work - the Olympic Games!! crossing London is hell compared to Paris. No wonder thousands of Londoners are buying up property in Brighton.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
As I've previously mentioned (I don't want to go on about it), I basically push people in wheelchairs around for a living. On a recent long weekend trip to Paris, not ONE single French person (Frenson?) held a door open for me and the person I was pushing. The one couple that did, after I gave them an obligatory 'mercy', replied with 'you're welcome mate'.

To top it all off, on the return journey on the Eurostar, we were rushed onto the train as we were late (we weren't, we were 20 minutes early) and I had to help a 12 stone adult, followed by a hoist (a giant mechanical arm) and his wheelchair and bags, onto the train. While they watched. About 10 of them.

I hate to stereotype, but out of all my personal experiences with the French, I think I may have a prejudice against them.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Again, Xenophobia is not Racism.

Xenophobia is just a bit of harmless fun, everyone does it.

They call us 'Le Roast Bouef' or something. Makes me cry everytime.

The NSC Brains Trust goes from strength to strength.
As a bit of purely harmless xenophobic fun, I'd say that us English have become incredibly stupid over the last generation. We can hardly produce any managers for our football teams any more and have to rely on Scotsmen and foreigners.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The NSC Brains Trust goes from strength to strength.
As a bit of purely harmless xenophobic fun, I'd say that us English have become incredibly stupid over the last generation. We can hardly produce any managers for our football teams any more and have to rely on Scotsmen and foreigners.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I can't read the tone of your post. Are you buying into my ironic jests, or seriously think I mean that?

To be fair to you, either way, your post works :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
friendly? well i'm right down in the south here and they probably dislike parisians more than brits,

On a recent long weekend trip to Paris, not ONE single French person (Frenson?) held a door open for me and the person I was pushing.
I hate to stereotype, but out of all my personal experiences with the French, I think I may have a prejudice against them.

I think that you're confusing Parisians with the French. As Gregory2 says, the French from the provinces hate Parisians far more than they hate the English. Like him, I've generally found the French to be charming and very hospitable - I can't think of a single instance of rudeness, while Parisians can be rude and disdainful of anyone who's not Parisian (I have met some pleasant Parisians but they're rare birds).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I love France. Love Paris too, thought it was beautiful, every time I went.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I think that you're confusing Parisians with the French. As Gregory2 says, the French from the provinces hate Parisians far more than they hate the English. Like him, I've generally found the French to be charming and very hospitable - I can't think of a single instance of rudeness, while Parisians can be rude and disdainful of anyone who's not Parisian (I have met some pleasant Parisians but they're rare birds).

I agree.

If you could remove Paris from France then you would end up with one of the best countries in the world. The lucky buggers have pretty much everything you could possibly need within it's borders, Wonderful cities, Fabulous weather (South of the Capital), great wine and fantastic scenery....

This thread smacks of jealousy IMO.....

The people of France that can speak English love to practice our language with us, but if a French person approached you in say, sunny Brighton and started babbling away in French asking questions, I'm pretty certain that most would just walk away thinking "how ignorant of them to speak to me in a foreign lingo" or "WTF were they on about". This is exactly how the non English speaking French respond to us when we are in their country and some people take that as them being ignorant.

The French have a very different culture to us so just accept them as people or don't visit, simples really!

Everyone seems to think that most French people speak English... Let me break the news to you that this is not the case... Away from the tourist areas very few people speak our lingo!

I still don't rate their cooking much though.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Every country has good and bad but when it comes to football England could possibly be able to beat the French with our hands tied behind our backs. The same CANNOT be said for the French!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`ll have to say that when they blockade roads to stop vehicles getting to the ports they do a much better job of it now than they did 60 odd years ago.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
1 They are French
2 They are French
3 They are French
4 They are French
5 They are French
6 They are French
7 They are French
8 They are French
9 They are French
10 They are French

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
You've obviously not been to the world's most over-rated city, London. Self-congratulating and smug! Sadly it was a good city in 60s and 70s. Now the transport system doesn't work - the Olympic Games!! crossing London is hell compared to Paris. No wonder thousands of Londoners are buying up property in Brighton.

I'm no fan of London or its inhabitants either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here