Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Anderson wanted palace to match Fulham’s £150 k per week and contract length ( 5 years??) they were not prepared to do that,but Ayew was very underrated and hardly used by Glasner.

I do blame the manager he got the players he asked for and his star player is gash. Palace have always managed so far with 16/17 premier players and as I said on paper this looks the strongest squad we have ever had.
If that's true, that's the real issue.....buying players because the manager wants them! Of course, there could be a lot more to it (eg: Palace's own data on these players could have been really positive). But buying players for a particular manager is the road to ruin. Our model is, of course, very different (but loads of clubs now have a data-driven approach). And when a manager seeks to get their own players (eg:RDZ) it will only end in tears.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The depressing thing is the squad maybe the best we have ever had in the premier league and it’s being wasted by a manger who refuses to try anther formation FFS!

What formation was working for you at the end of last season? If it's this one, why has it suddenly gone wrong - and if it was different, why the hell has he changed a winning formula?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What formation was working for you at the end of last season? If it's this one, why has it suddenly gone wrong - and if it was different, why the hell has he changed a winning formula?
Think a lot of their good results at the end of last season were due to the usual end of season ‘beach’ type stuff v teams that had not much left to play for or had other issues - West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves, Man U for example - so ultimately a bit misleading in terms of their true capability (in the same way we fell off a cliff after DeZ lost his mojo/fell out with TB/couldn’t deal with his Rome humiliation or however you want to describe it). We’re seeing their true capability now though perhaps :laugh:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The loss of Olise and Anderson is a big one for Palace. Both going in one window and not being replaced adequately is a big influence.
Add to that Wharton being unfit.
A few Palace on the sports bar saying without actually saying it they were a one man Olise team and now he’s gone they are shite. Or It’s all Parish his fault get out of my club 🤣

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They'll need to target 10 wins to be safe imo*

10 wins from 30 games.. big ask.

*There are exceptions, of course. Everton survived the drop in 2022/23 with just 8 wins all season. I think Forrest got 9 last year? But it's a decent rule of thumb.

It's a decent number to aim for, but Ipswich and Southampton won't be getting too many points this season. Palace just need one other club to do badly. Third from bottom only had 26 points last season, so I don't expect Palace to need anything like 10 wins.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's a decent number to aim for, but Ipswich and Southampton won't be getting too many points this season. Palace just need one other club to do badly. Third from bottom only had 26 points last season, so I don't expect Palace to need anything like 10 wins.
Aye, just wishful thinking. I totally forgot there was something like 6 points between Forrest and Luton last season. Felt closer!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Their message board is amusing at the moment

palacelol.jpg

There have been a couple of people on here like doogie and se25 that I'll happily laugh at, but that post reminds me of supporting Brighton too much, so I can't bring myself to laugh at him/her.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Scumhampton are done.
it’s all down to whether palace can take points of the other relegation rivals and for once I’m not sure that they can. It all going to be very traumatic for the black clad twats up the road.😂

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think a lot of their good results at the end of last season were due to the usual end of season ‘beach’ type stuff v teams that had not much left to play for or had other issues - West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves, Man U for example - so ultimately a bit misleading in terms of their true capability (in the same way we fell off a cliff after DeZ lost his mojo/fell out with TB/couldn’t deal with his Rome humiliation or however you want to describe it).

What's odd though it that although they did face some teams at the right time, some of their wins were by very decent margins. I didn't watch them, so I don't know how much was down to them and how much was down to the opposition.

Losing Olise was a big deal, but I honestly did not see this start to the season coming.

We’re seeing their true capability now though perhaps :laugh:

Let's hope so.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
In the last 4 seasons 35pts , 29pts , 27 pts & 35pts would have seen a side stay out of the bottom 3. But point deductions had come into play so Palace may have to rely on Man City getting a 70 point deduction this year :giggle:
Its always been said that 40 points is needed to be safe from relegation, but in the last 10 years there's only been 3 occasions where 35 points hasn't been enough. So realistically another 32 points would probably see them safe. With the other 3 teams around them being equally bad at the moment it could well be less.

32 points would be 8 wins, 8 draws from 30 games. Alternatively, 7 wins, 11 draws from 30 games. Option A seems a bit easier to me. Either way they will have to tighten up at the back and stop shipping goals. If they can get a few draws first, especially against stronger teams, then they might get some confidence back to start nicking a few wins. You would also assume that they have to get some home form going, and keep things tight on the road. Its doable but its a difficult ask, everyone needs to be on the same page. You need the squad pulling together and fighting for each other. Of the bottom four teams, I think Ipswich and Wolves probably have a better chance of getting the squad to do that.

Its too early to tell at the moment, but they do have some injuries, so those players coming back might help. Buy they are definitely in big trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here