Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Old Albion chants

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
As far as I know we are one of very few adopters. Plymouth perhaps being another? Teams who stuck with the better "Here We Go" tune include West Brom, Wolves, Leeds, Arsenal, Everton (notably), Newcastle... not sure why we had to change - recent revival attempts are welcome
I’m not a hundred percent sure but I think we started the Plymouth fans with that chant at their fans united day? not sure if they were using it before then. I think Burton Albion adopted it as well.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Sticking my neck out here a bit. But the fact that this chant would bring the full weight of the league down upon out heads just shows how far things have improved. Playing West Brom at the Goldstone, Cyril Regis (rip) got his shirt soaked in mud, the chant went up "he's melting, he's melting" :facepalm:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
At some stage, the fast-paced "albion albion albion" [x10] of the north stand at the Goldstone was replaced by the current, deary, slow-paced "aaal-beee-eurgghn, aaal-beee-eurgghn" drudge. How, when and why did that happen?
The late 70’s I think 😃

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Jonny Crumplin football genius……………or Hans is evil……..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've not heard in that in sometime, but I loved the 'you're going home in a f***ing ambulance' chant. Oh so brave when I was 15 years old. . Bring in on the dustbin was another favourite.
Bring on the dustbin was often followed by, or substituted with the funeral march.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Different…

We’ve got Stevie, Stevie Penney on our wing, on our wing…
Repeat

Stevie, Stevie Penney, Stevie Penney on our wing, Stevie, Stevie Penney on wing….

Elliott Bennett was to Heartbeat……
Yes OTM you are correct. Funny how the brain plays tricks on you! Thanks for the memory.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, you’re right Liverpool did start YNWA as their anthem. Celtic fans apparently adopted it in 1966 after hearing it at Anfield when they played Liverpool in ECWC - some Celtic fans insist they were the first. Oh well. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I'd seen it said before, and as you'd said a lot of Celtic fans seem to think they started it. God knows why. Liverpool only started singing it because Gerry and the Pacemakers were a Liverpudlian band. No Celtic fan can logically explain why Celtic, with their rich repertoire of Irish rebel songs, would suddenly start singing a song from a 1940s Rogers and Hammerstein musical. (It's 'Carousel' as I'm sure you know).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I recall something based on tv kids shows which I think went something like:

We hate andy pandy
And we hate bill and ben
We hate ken dodd and his diddymen
We hate busy-lizzy and all her toys
We are the woodentops boot boys

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
When the ball hits the net,
Like a fúcking rocket,
That's Zamora

(subsequently modified to 'When the ball hits the head, of the man in row Z, that's Zamora')

Seagull Stew

Jul 30, 2003
Brighton
Or maybe Richard Tiltman
Must mean Richard Tiltman. At the time, Richie Barker was the best striker we'd had in years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here