Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Currently enjoying , from sainsburys Tap Room brewing company IPA and APA from Rochester.
Delicious quickly chilled in freezer.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
iron_man.jpg

Currently enjoying one of this

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just found this in my local deli - sure, it's a cheesy name but it tastes really good

Attachments

• BNA.jpg
    BNA.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 107

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I like the look of this brewery and I like kolsch. In fact I have become a bit of an expert on this beer type after a Koln trip with beer sponge Herr Challenge. How's things?

Doing OK thanks, but limited spare time due to work and family commitments. However I do get to sample the fine array of craft beers around my new kneck of the woods - the Blue Ridge Mountains have a number of brew operations up and running, as well as the more established wineries.

I particularly like Flying Dog out of Frederick, Maryland. Probably like the American Pale Ale best, and if feeling reckless can't really pass up the double dog IPA.

There was a Kolsch Cup in DC in June,

http://www.dcbeer.com/event/inaugural-kölsch-cup-gordon-biersch-navy-yard

How are you doing?

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Don't know if its been mentioned but the Wick Inn is serving craft beers. Although some are just Belgium beers in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't know if its been mentioned but the Wick Inn is serving craft beers. Although some are just Belgium beers in my opinion.

Excellent news. Quite a few pubs are joining the craft beer revolution but as you point out the term is being used quite loosely on occasion. There is a new pub called The Cow up at The Dials which has jumped on the band wagon and has branded Pilsner Urquell as such. They have Flying Dog though which is genuine craft but they do not seem to be able to keep it well and it tastes strangely metallic (yuk). Some places seem to think that sticking the beer up on a chalk board, stating its ABV and putting its country of origin in brackets makes it craft; I am not joking when I say I have seen San Miquell ABV 4% (Spain).

The Southover (nee pub with no name) strike a very good balance IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tonight it will be about the porters for me. I have a few bottles of Brewdog Abstrakt 13 (CHERRY IMPERIAL STOUT AGED IN SHERRY BARRELS 11.7%) and a Flying Dog Imperial porter to get through......slowly.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Is there a definitive list of Brighton pubs that serve craft beer?

I have seen mentioned in this thread:

The Cow
Brewery Tap
Wick Inn
Craft Beer Co
The Southover
The North Laines

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Cow
Brewery Tap
Wick Inn
Craft Beer Co
The Southover
The North Laines

You can add The Dove in Kemp Town to this list.

I don't think North Laine does. It was just real ale last time I was in there; very nice ale but it cannot be classified as craft in my mind. And The Brewery Tap is very very poor; last time I was in there they only had a couple of draft crafts on, plus the infamous San Miquell. I did hear that it was closing down as well.

IMHO the only places worth considering are The Southover and Craft Beer Co.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Currently doing some part time work in a pub on Portland Rd. Will be having a stern word with management about the lack of craft beers. Get them involved in the revolution.

Pale ale or golden ales are all the fashion now. 3 out of 4 ales are very light. No proper bitter :(

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(

The Cow
Brewery Tap
Wick Inn
Craft Beer Co
The Southover
The North Laines

The Evening Star has 6 taps alongside the handpumps also, a large selection of bottled beer!

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
This event might appeal to the OP and some of the others on this thread. It does require more of an investment and dedication upfront than most beer festivals, but the music - bands and DJs - and the opportunity to meet the brewers at their stands is chucked in along with a small glass of beer from every brewer for your entry. Disclaimer, I am not involved with this event in any way, it just ties in very nicely with this thread.

London Craft Beer Festival 16-18 August

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This event might appeal to the OP and some of the others on this thread. It does require more of an investment and dedication upfront than most beer festivals, but the music - bands and DJs - and the opportunity to meet the brewers at their stands is chucked in along with a small glass of beer from every brewer for your entry. Disclaimer, I am not involved with this event in any way, it just ties in very nicely with this thread.

London Craft Beer Festival 16-18 August

That looks awesome and a cracking line up of brewers. 17th is my birthday as well. Mmmmmmmm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't the Evening Star does 'Craft beer', more real ale

They have had craft on tap from time to time along with bottles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here