Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tucking into a Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Stout right now. Had a lovely Stone Brewery Ruin Ten Double IPA at the beer festival last night. I also got talking to the brewer/co owner of Woodfour Brewery who held an impromptu tasting session with some prototype beers he had. Nice.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm drinking Greek beer tonight which is strange because it's the first I have ever seen and I've been to Greece. It's called Mythos and isn't bad at all, especially at £1.25 a bottle.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I used to travel to Athens frequently for business and also enjoyed Mythos - not sure though if it qualifies as a craft beer though.

Current favorite is an IPA from Charleston, SC. Comes in a nattly little green can, with a few elephants on it.

http://westbrookbrewing.com/beers/all/year-round/ipa/

Just been down there on vacation, and a very tidy place it is indeed. Great restaurants and some tasty bbq.

Don't know how far Westbrook brewing gets distributed, but hopefully it makes it up I-95 to Virginia.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BRoF4kaCYAE4_v5.jpg:large

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I used to drink "real" beer when I was younger and then switched to "decent" lager (mainly Weissbier whenever I could get it) when I lived in Germany for a while and subsequently. Now I'm officially middle-aged, I'm considering coming back to my roots - many of my friends now like to talk about craft beers and I'm out of my depth. I think I'll get a selection of 12 or so beers to start off with. I'd prefer something local, if possible. I had a golden ale of some kind (I will pay attention from now on) from The Long Man brewery at the weekend and I've got a bottle of Harveys blue label at home. I don't like very strong or dark beer. I do like lighter, refreshing beers, wheat beers. I don't drink that much, so I'm not particularly looking for something that you can drink loads of in one session. What do you recommend?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Try some Hammerpots - usually available in most Co-ops. Also Arundel do a nice bitter and pale ale. Elsewhere, anything from Hepworth brewery.

Thanks - I'll do that. I think my brother-in-law knows Andy Hepworth. King and Barnes Festive was my tipple of choice as a 15 year old.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
shmaltz-brewing-death-of-a-contract-brewer-li-L-8jxbLa.pngBest name for a new craft beer - "Death of a Contract Brewer". Very nice. 7 malts, 7 hops, tastes like a session beer but shouldn't at 7%

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just had this tidy lot arrive from England

Brewdog Mette Marit x 3 each
Brewdog Watt Dickie (35% pale ale) x 2 each
Mikkeller George! Cognac Barrel Aged 12.12% ABV x 1 each
Brewdog 5AM Saint 5% ABV x 2 each
Brewdog Fake Lager x 3 each
Brewdog Riptide 8% ABV x 1 each
Brewdog Cocoa Psycho 10% ABV x 3 each
Brewdog Hardcore IPA Bomber x 2 each
Mikkeller Czechet Pilsner 4.6% ABV x 1 each
Mikkeller - Single Hop Challenger 330ml Bottle x 1 each
Brewdog AB:14 (10% imperial weizen bock) x 3

And yes the Watt Dickie is 35%

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I had a very freshing Long Trail Kolsch in my local whole foods last night - hint of citrus to it.

Here it is:IMG-20130813-00090.jpg

Its DC beer week so loads of craft beer action all overe town.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just picked up a 6 - pack of 21st Amendment 'Back in Black' - quite malty it is, but also a good taste of hops

Good listing of such beer types here.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/175

Lyndhurst 14, have you checked out the craft beer selection downtown in the Whole Foods on the lower east side? Pretty good.

Yes I have - it is a good selection. Trader Joe's Beer / Wine store at Union Square is worth a visit as well - Brooklyn Lager, Magic Hat and Harpoon IPA all 9 bucks for 6 bottles

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just had this tidy lot arrive from England

Brewdog Mette Marit x 3 each
Brewdog Watt Dickie (35% pale ale) x 2 each
Mikkeller George! Cognac Barrel Aged 12.12% ABV x 1 each
Brewdog 5AM Saint 5% ABV x 2 each
Brewdog Fake Lager x 3 each
Brewdog Riptide 8% ABV x 1 each
Brewdog Cocoa Psycho 10% ABV x 3 each
Brewdog Hardcore IPA Bomber x 2 each
Mikkeller Czechet Pilsner 4.6% ABV x 1 each
Mikkeller - Single Hop Challenger 330ml Bottle x 1 each
Brewdog AB:14 (10% imperial weizen bock) x 3

And yes the Watt Dickie is 35%

Couldn't get on with the Cocoa Psycho when the prototypes came out, infact still one 1 left so might give it a go.

Just got DogWired, Fake Lager, Dead Pony Club (lovely beer), Mash Tag & Alice Porter in stock from Brewdog.

Cans of Punk went down very well at a BBQ I went to recently too, in fact too well as its cleared me out!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Just had a bottle of Little Creatures Pale Ale. wife yesterday found that Quaff sells it, well, sold it, I just cleaned them out.

brilliant, you get it evrywhere here, funnily enough - pubs, bottleshops, restaurants, even at gigs!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Had a few pints of Southern Bitter from Cottage Brewey last night in thelocal. This award winning session bitter is full bodied with a distinctive hop aroma and finish.* Light copper in colour and easy drinking.* Named after the Southern Railway and was the Champion Standard Bitter at the 13th SIBA Maltings Beer Festival..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here