Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T ok so I was probably in the wrong, but bl**dy hell

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite. I love how the queue jumpers are trying to use the Highway Code to back up their point, very funny.

You wouldn't do it on foot because it would be f***ing rude so don't do it just because you're in the anonymity of your car.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And the overtaking section
Before overtaking you should make sure

-the road is sufficiently clear ahead
-road users are not beginning to overtake you
-there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

-not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
-use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
-not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
-move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
-take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
-give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
-only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
-stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
-give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

Remember: Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre

Long thread, but a couple of points;

- the aggressive guy was clearly in the wrong. No matter how cockish someone is driving, it is bloody idiotic to take it to the level of getting out of your car and hurling abuse/threatening physical violence.

- when approaching a merge point (generally indicated a mile or 2 ahead of time) I will start to look for an opportunity to change lane, and move into the left hand lane when a suitable gap appears. On average this is probably a good ¾ mile before the merge point. I don't have a problem with people pulling into my lane in front of me when they are doing a similar activity. However, those idiots that continue in the fast lane and then move in only when their lane physically disappears are not merging, they are turning into my lane. They are typically met with a bumper-to-bumper approach.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So what happens if he was already overtaking slower cars when he reached the point where the traffic had started queueing?

Funny how you omitted 134.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Quite. I love how the queue jumpers are trying to use the Highway Code to back up their point, very funny.

You wouldn't do it on foot because it would be f***ing rude so don't do it just because you're in the anonymity of your car.

And the overtaking section

See earlier photo posted of an example of the ever increasing signage to assist those people who are reluctant to use a perfectly normal lane

Attachments

• both-lanes.jpg
    both-lanes.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 118

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hmmmm, a wimp?...not sure what to say to this...if by wimp you mean I weigh up the situation and prefer to walk away from confrontations where I can then I guess that makes me a wimp. Foul and abusive words do not really have an impact on me...as you say he seemed like a fruitcake...so I made my decision based on that...
I just dont think i would feel comfortable with a bloke getting out of a car and threatening , in front of my wife/girlfriend, that he would have beaten me up if she wasnt there , and doing nothing about it , i would rather take a hiding and retain a bit of self respect, but it takes all sorts.

ps having said that, the bloke sounds a complete tool though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ok this time it is Ecosse Exile, I have driven more miles than i care to remember as i am a lorry driver and what Acker says above is obviously correct as it is a direct quote from the Highway Code.

Lord B pointed out about the signs saying use both lanes, he is correct that a single file queue may cause an obstruction at a junction further back, this is when you usually see the signs "use both lanes" and then the sign "merge in turn".

However, if traffic is coming down the outside lane and attempting to "jump the queue", NOBODY has the right to pull in front of another road user to attempt to stop them passing, this is dangerous, it is in itself causing an obstruction and if an emergency vehicle was trying to get through may cost lives!

People who do this are just as bad if not worse than the people queue jumping in the first place.

Everyone just needs to chill out a bit in traffic jams, like someone else said, stick a cd on and dont stress over it, later on that day unless you have had an incident like the OP had, you will have forgotten about it anyway. Nobody wants to be in a traffic jam, but hey, shit happens!

And before anyone else says it, yes i know some of my colleagues are amongst the worst for blocking lanes, but that pisses me off too.

- the aggressive guy was clearly in the wrong. No matter how cockish someone is driving, it is bloody idiotic to take it to the level of getting out of your car and hurling abuse/threatening physical violence.

Spot on, no matter who's in the wrong you shouldn't have to take that shit from anyone. Lot of nutters on the roads and for that reason alone I always keep a baseball bat under the seat in my motor. Have no intention of ever "using" it but a quick flash of it if you open the door to the aggressor usually gets them turning on their heels.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
- when approaching a merge point (generally indicated a mile or 2 ahead of time) I will start to look for an opportunity to change lane, and move into the left hand lane when a suitable gap appears. On average this is probably a good ¾ mile before the merge point. I don't have a problem with people pulling into my lane in front of me when they are doing a similar activity. However, those idiots that continue in the fast lane and then move in only when their lane physically disappears are not merging, they are turning into my lane. They are typically met with a bumper-to-bumper approach.

I think this is the best post so far. People are only complaining about the last second idiots who ARE just looking to queue jump, not "use both lanes".

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Havne't read the whole thread, but I know the part you are talking about well and I have several times done what you've done because the highway code tells you to. The cocks are the ones that sit there in the inside lane when they could be filling the outside.

Don't have any issue with anyone doing this, and the bloke who got out and threatened you is totally in the wrong and needs to attend an anger management course.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Erm, the new highway code encourages you to use all available lanes until you have to merge in, so the guy that blocked you was a bit of a tool...

That's exactly what happens in pretty much every other country I've driven in, and then when you get to the end of the 2 lanes, everyone merges in turn. Trouble is, in my experience, in this country drivers are somewhat ruder and more unpleasant.

One of the very few things I liked about Australia is the driving, everyone drives at the same speed. There is vitrually no overtaking, no-one gets right up behind you, and even the buses, lorries, old farts and women drive at the same speed, so you have no-one to get the arseache with. All very calm. I believe it is largely to do with the punitive fines and license demerits that makes them stick to the speed limit, but at least it works.

Last edited:

Yeah, but despite stating it's idiotic to get out and hurl abuse, you are advocating bumper-to-bumper style of pressure. Not necessarily safe, and still escalating the situation with 'eye for an eye' revenge of sorts.

The worst area I ever drive in is coming out of London South, where there are bus lanes that their drivers watch for any incursion (even in emergency, where you might need to slip in to avoid something), and right-turn-lanes that just suddenly appear where you don't want to go.
I recall one time when in crowded fast moving crowded traffic I had to change lane, and the van behind me followed my bumper for 5 miles until he could overtake and make some exaggerated cut-off as close as he could manage to me. It was really obvious what he was doing, and really pathetic that he insisted on doing it for 5 miles through busy traffic.

Like said above, what people do in vehicles would be completely ridiculous on foot or in the supermarket.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
TIP:

When travelling East from Chichester on any evening or when there is traffic congestion try heading towards Storrington on the next roundabout after Fontwell Park Racecourse (I think it's the B2139) it's left in stead of right to Arundel. This takes you through Houghton, Storrington, Washington and past Steyning popping you back on the A27 at the Shoreham flyover.

That is all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Closest I have come to a road rage incident was when I was sat in a queue of traffic on the single lane part of the A27 North of Worthing. Nothing was moving so I started playing with a camera I had just bought. Bloke in front of me got out of his car and asked why I was taking pictures of him and his girlfriend (which I wasn't). Fortunately when I got out he realised he was about my half my size, a real dwarf and apologised!! Made me wonder what he was up to though!!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
TIP:

When travelling East from Chichester on any evening or when there is traffic congestion try heading towards Storrington on the next roundabout after Fontwell Park Racecourse (I think it's the B2139) it's left in stead of right to Arundel. This takes you through Houghton, Storrington, Washington and past Steyning popping you back on the A27 at the Shoreham flyover.

That is all.

I have often thought of trying that, but always decided against it. Will give it a go next time, ta.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
See earlier photo posted of an example of the ever increasing signage to assist those people who are reluctant to use a perfectly normal lane

Since the highway code indicates drivers should stay in the left hand lane unless overtaking, I would assume this sign is for the special occasions when two lanes should be used. Under these circumstances drviers should use both lanes. But if that sign isn't there, then the normal rules of the road as laid out in the highway code must be followed - stick to the left hand lane.

So what happens if he was already overtaking slower cars when he reached the point where the traffic had started queueing?

Funny how you omitted 134.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

As highlighted in the excerpts above drivers should be in the left hand lane. If they are over taking they should pull in as safe to do so. If the driver doesn't complete the manoeuvre they aren't using the road in accordance with the highway code, so completing the already started overtaking procedure wouldn't be "unnecessarily changing lanes".

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Picking up on a point made by acker79

If you are bombing down the outside lane and there is traffic nose to tail on the inside lane then obviously there is not a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Picking up on a point made by acker79

If you are bombing down the outside lane and there is traffic nose to tail on the inside lane then obviously there is not a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake.

But you shouldn't be "bombing down the outside lane". There is a misconception that there's the left hand lane and the "fast lane" There isn't. It is the left hand lane and them overtaking lane, a lane that should only be used when overtaking. Overtaking should only occur if you have space to move into in front of the car you are overtaking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here