Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T ok so I was probably in the wrong, but bl**dy hell

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
As highlighted in the excerpts above drivers should be in the left hand lane. If they are over taking they should pull in as safe to do so. If the driver doesn't complete the manoeuvre they aren't using the road in accordance with the highway code, so completing the already started overtaking procedure wouldn't be "unnecessarily changing lanes".

What if it wasn't safe to do so at that point?

And don't prattle on about he shouldn't be overtaking then.

And the prat in the OP shouldn't have been straddling the central line as he wasn't performing a manoeuvre in accordance with the highway code.

As for the other route (past Amberley, Storrington, Steyining), I normally use that route when travelling from Shoreham to Portsmouth if it's at a time when there are hold ups at Worthing and Arundel. It's longer mileage wise, but you keep moving.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What if it wasn't safe to do so at that point?

And don't prattle on about he shouldn't be overtaking then.

So you ask me a question and then take away the right answer as an option?

And the prat in the OP shouldn't have been straddling the central line as he wasn't performing a manoeuvre in accordance with the highway code.

Yes. I haven't and won't defend the guy. He was in the wrong, both in accordance with the laws of the road and in general law. It isn't his job or right to enforce laws.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
But you shouldn't be "bombing down the outside lane". There is a misconception that there's the left hand lane and the "fast lane" There isn't. It is the left hand lane and them overtaking lane, a lane that should only be used when overtaking. Overtaking should only occur if you have space to move into in front of the car you are overtaking.

exactly but most drivers who see the empty outside lane do drive down it as fast as they can and then force their way into a gap that doesnt exist

Closest I have come to a road rage incident was when I was sat in a queue of traffic on the single lane part of the A27 North of Worthing. Nothing was moving so I started playing with a camera I had just bought. Bloke in front of me got out of his car and asked why I was taking pictures of him and his girlfriend (which I wasn't). Fortunately when I got out he realised he was about my half my size, a real dwarf and apologised!! Made me wonder what he was up to though!!

Haha! that reminds me of one time when I was driving some friends around an interesting area of LA, nice and quiet and no traffic - when this mental woman....I mean more mental than most.... stopped right in front of us, jumped out of her car waving a bottle and threatened to "shoot our asses" for following her around (er - we were only behind her for about 100 feet, and not right on her tail either).
It was perfect though, because it showed a fine example of the Great-Spotted American Nutjobby in full plumage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Haha! that reminds me of one time when I was driving some friends around an interesting area of LA, nice and quiet and no traffic - when this mental woman....I mean more mental than most.... stopped right in front of us, jumped out of her car waving a bottle and threatened to "shoot our asses" for following her around (er - we were only behind her for about 100 feet, and not right on her tail either).
It was perfect though, because it showed a fine example of the Great-Spotted American Nutjobby in full plumage.

The worst thing is, until your final sentence I assumed you were talking about Little'Ampton.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Erm, the new highway code encourages you to use all available lanes until you have to merge in, so the guy that blocked you was a bit of a tool...

All my citations come from the 2007 Highway code. It is the one onm the government's own website, and as far as I can see in my brief search, 2007 is the latest edition.

Doesn't mean the guy wasn't a tool, just that the whole using the left lane unless overtaking thing is on the department of transport's own website as the latest edition.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there was something on teh radio the other day saying the most common form of "road rage" was teaching other people to drive whilst you are driving yourself, ie cutting people up, over indicating, weaving into the first lane infront of someone who is middlelanehogging, that sort of thing.

My wife reckons I do that all the time:nono:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Interesting how this polarises opinion. The OP is 100% right, it is RIDICULOUS for someone to arbitrarily decide at what point people must merge into the nearside lane and act as vigilante to enforce it. It is a uniquely idiotic British behavior. If everyone properly used both lanes up to the merge point, both lanes would have equal queues, everyone would merge in turn, and no one would get upset about it. I just do not understand why people don't see this - every other nationality seems to manage it.

Once on the M4, the matrix signs were indicating that the outside lane was closed ahead. A massive queue had developed behind one of these vigilante pillocks in a white van, hero to the people, blocking the outside lane. It turned out the matrix sign was wrong. 5 mile queue for no reason thanks to mr white van man.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Its a clear indication of society today that you cant possibly tell someone that is in the wrong that they are at fault unless you are willing to pay the ultimate price potentially your life for something so very pointless. Not worth playing a game with those odds.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Interesting how this polarises opinion. The OP is 100% right, it is RIDICULOUS for someone to arbitrarily decide at what point people must merge into the nearside lane and act as vigilante to enforce it. It is a uniquely idiotic British behavior. If everyone properly used both lanes up to the merge point, both lanes would have equal queues, everyone would merge in turn, and no one would get upset about it. I just do not understand why people don't see this - every other nationality seems to manage it.

Once on the M4, the matrix signs were indicating that the outside lane was closed ahead. A massive queue had developed behind one of these vigilante pillocks in a white van, hero to the people, blocking the outside lane. It turned out the matrix sign was wrong. 5 mile queue for no reason thanks to mr white van man.

Spot on. The sad thing is that so many people on here are infected by the 'British Disease' of - let's queue and don't let the bastards pass... It's total common sense to use both lanes as long as possible and filter in turn (they even put signs up to that effect for the mentally challenged who still disagree). How anyone on here who has read so many sensible explanations as to why that is the correct thing to do and yet will STILL sit in the inside lane with hundreds of yards of empty tarmac in the outside lane beggar belief.

Great thread :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's total common sense to use both lanes as long as possible and filter in turn (they even put signs up to that effect for the mentally challenged who still disagree). How anyone on here who has read so many sensible explanations as to why that is the correct thing to do and yet will STILL sit in the inside lane with hundreds of yards of empty tarmac in the outside lane beggar belief.

Great thread :thumbsup:

As arthritic toe explains it working it is common sense, and if everyone used both lanes, there wouldn't be so much of the anger of so and so pushing in, however, this is one of those too frequent situations where common sense and the law disagree. Some people stick to the law and others try to use common sense, the problem being the common sense route only really works if everyone does it.

But you shouldn't be "bombing down the outside lane". There is a misconception that there's the left hand lane and the "fast lane" There isn't. It is the left hand lane and them overtaking lane, a lane that should only be used when overtaking.
That's a misconception that dates back to the 1950s.

These days, there are LOTS of roads which have had extra lanes added primarily to increase the capacity of the road and reduce traffic congestion. The A27 is one of them.

That's a misconception that dates back to the 1950s.

These days, there are LOTS of roads which have had extra lanes added primarily to increase the capacity of the road and reduce traffic congestion. The A27 is one of them.

It's not a misconception at all. It's in the latest version of the highway code, as others have already said.

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.

Multi-lane carriageways (133-143) : Directgov - Travel and transport

With the greatest of respect, the problem seems to be a lack of communication between planners and the Department for Transport. Or simply dunces at the DfT not realising the mixed messages they are sending out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here