Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T ok so I was probably in the wrong, but bl**dy hell

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
A few clueless cocks on here. The problem nowadays is the drivers in the left hand lane who go nose to nose and try to stop legitimate drivers filtering in when lanes merge. What part of 'lanes merging' do some people not understand , use both lanes and filter in nicely, it keeps traffic flowing nicely. You should of given the selfish twat a slap or at least try to run him over. I had a similiar incident years ago, some cock came to the window of my volvo t5 to have a go and stuck his hand in, i grabbed it and put the electric window up and took him for a little walk! After he see me close up, he did not want a confrontion anyway and walked back to his car 40 yards away.

This is exactly right (apart from the agrro). Reading this thread from NZ where merging is a common occurence that goes on every day with no problems I'm amazed at some of the statements on here. Q-Jumpings indeed, what rot some people are spouting.

stan

Oct 8, 2008
When they do road works, bringing two lanes down to one, they have to put up big signs saying use both lanes. This is to try and stop "polite" drivers from holding everyone up by cutting in 800 yards before the road merges.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Following the trend of bank metaphors...

What you're suggesting is akin to going into a bank seeing a long queue for the one available teller, and deciding to go ignore all the people who got there before you and joined the queue in keeping with general polite, social behaviour, and going to the closed till next to them, then pushing in at the front of the queue.

So next time your stood in a queue at the supermarket and they open up a till elsewhere, do you expect to be moved to the front of that tills queue, or have you taken a chance with the queue you joined will be quicker and it just hasn't paid off

Maybe next time a supermarket does that when i am queueing i should pick a fight with anyone who got served ahead of me as a result as some people on here think thats acceptable behaviour

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
If he got out of his car and came towrds you in a threatening manner then you have by law every right to kill him. A car jack can work in these situations if you keep one under the front passenger seat.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What do you do when a new checkout is opened??

Ask the checkout girl/boy if they have a copy of the "Checkout Code" so you can check on the law.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
A few clueless cocks on here. The problem nowadays is the drivers in the left hand lane who go nose to nose and try to stop legitimate drivers filtering in when lanes merge. What part of 'lanes merging' do some people not understand , use both lanes and filter in nicely, it keeps traffic flowing nicely. You should of given the selfish twat a slap or at least try to run him over. I had a similiar incident years ago, some cock came to the window of my volvo t5 to have a go and stuck his hand in, i grabbed it and put the electric window up and took him for a little walk! After he see me close up, he did not want a confrontion anyway and walked back to his car 40 yards away.

Was it relevant that you needed to mention your were driving volvo t5,? or just done for egotist reasons only ?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
From the highway code:

'134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.'

I would interpret the above to mean merge in turn at the point at which the lanes merge. If everyone did this then one lane would not move quicker than the other and there would be no queue jumping.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Exactly what I was trying to say - do you see everyone standing in the polite queue at the supermarket - or do you get a scrum for the smallest line.

What do you do when a new checkout is opened??

When the supermarket is really busy I usually wait until they say something like "code 1 to checkouts" then hover near where there are a couple of checkouts not being used...these are usually the first to open up...as soon as a checkout operator turns up my stuff is already heading out of the trolley and onto the conveyor!

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
From the highway code:

'134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.'

I would interpret the above to mean merge in turn at the point at which the lanes merge. If everyone did this then one lane would not move quicker than the other and there would be no queue jumping.

.......and this is what happens the world over apart from it seems a few loonies in Sussex.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I'd say let them carry on up the faster lane but make them wait for a gap before letting them in at the merge - which could be a long time. I'm not aware of any rule that says you HAVE to let someone cut in, it is just a courtesy. That would sort it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You keep going until the lanes merge, otherwise the queue is artificially longer than it need to be causing a longer tailback than is necessary.

Precisely!

And the longer the queue is the more people are going to make use of all that empty lane ahead, so frustrating even more the fools who merge too early.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'd say let them carry on up the faster lane but make them wait for a gap before letting them in at the merge - which could be a long time. I'm not aware of any rule that says you HAVE to let someone cut in, it is just a courtesy. That would sort it.

So because you didn't think to use the empty road space available to you, other people who did should be made to suffer?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No it's not. The other lane isn't a closed lane is it? It's a perfectly valid road for use by anyone

In this example, yes it is. There were road works closing the lane. In the metaphor the roadworks are the teller, and the queue is the left hand lane. The right hand lane is the closed till.

If another till opens then people move over and generally allow those who were closest to the front of the queue get to go first (i.e. the 2nd person in the busy queue will usually be given the first chance to go 1st in the new queue, the 5th person would get ahead of the 7th and so on), but, again, the lane wasn't being opened it was closed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From the highway code:

'134

I would interpret it as, since the right hand lane is for overtaking, not general traffic, the general traffic is in the left hand lane and the advice not to change lanes unnecessarily would suggest don't go into the right hand lane.

And if there is a back log of traffic crawling towards the congestion, the you can get back into the left hand lane nice and early, since the traffic will be moving slowly and it will be safe to do so.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So many people with bizarre ideas on here.

"If you fill up both lanes the traffic will go quicker."

What part of BOTTLE NECK don't you understand?

The sooner EVERYONE is in the left hand lane, the quicker the traffic will go as no one is having to stop to let the last minute mergers come through. This is really basic stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think what it comes down to is....if it was exactly the same situation but everyone was on foot, would you do the same?

Of course you ruddy wouldn't, I think it's one of those ones people feel they can get away with from the safety and anonymity of their own cars;

"oh well, will never see these people again". etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here