Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next leader of the Labour party

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe because their wages had been slashed by the huge influx of cheap, imported labour?

John Humphrys, once he could speak openly, felt that communities up and down the country (away from London) hated the way that mass immigration had altered those communities over the last 20 years. He himself was/is an avid Remainer. He surmised that the establishment and broadcast media had completely underestimated this strength of feeling and the numbers involved.

Immigration and low wages is probably a big reason IMO.

The issue then for the Tory party is how they reduce immigration and increase wages so that the expectation of Brexit is realised, otherwise it may not matter who is Labour leader at the time of the next post Brexit GE, voters will go back.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you know what country British Petroleum, paid tax in, and how much of the 5.6bn Pounds profit got paid in the end?

Fair to have a pop at Labour at the moment, but defending non tax paying mega companies is taking it too far.

BP provide a report along these lines, or you can dig into their accounts. the main point is not about defending their tax but starting from a position assuming they have paid the taxes as due according to HMRC and international rules. if they have broken a rule raise hell. if you simply object because big numbers, look further. they and other multinationals import and awful lot of cash from overseas operations.
https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/b...bp-report-on-payments-to-governments-2017.pdf

Stop just a moment

Are you saying you’d rather BP etc paid their profits to their shareholders rather than paid any tax? As it will improve your pension?

also bear in mind there will be taxes on those dividends.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I like Phillips a lot, but its Lisa Nandy for me. She has the ability to unite the different factions, in my opinion, and crucially is a Leaver. The next stage of brexit will take 10 years or so, and having a Leave voting leader, who favours a softer brexit, will be able to rise above the 'remoaner' jibes and be bring those northern defectors back to Labour whilst dealing seriously with the issues that brexit will serve us

I have to be honest I do not know much about Lisa Nandy, I will check out some video's and views on things. The reason for me liking Jess Phillips is that she is not a Corbyn fan so will not be tarred with that brush. When ever I have heard her speak she has strong convictions and is intelligent. I don't think she would be easy to bully.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hi Simster, I met him once when we lived in Reigate................a strange fellow and not my cup of tea!
Possibly because you're vaguely normal whereas he is a **** who never takes on any constituent complaints. In fact, the only things he's ever campaigned for are a) Brexit (he is one of those dreadful ERG extremists) and b) the legalisation of poppers (no surprise for guessing his sexual leanings).

The man is totally unfit for office and yet people ignorantly keep voting him in.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I find it hard to believe there is such ignorance about the funding of pensions amongst the populace.It almost appears that ,for some, to own any shares is an immoral and selfish thing to do! They hint at this, as you say, not knowing that they themselves are probably shareholders too.
Additionally, those fortunate enough to have DB pensions, although rarer these days are perhaps blase about the stockmarket; this may include some public sector workers on here maybe?
As for 'blue-shifted', I just don't know what to say!:ffsparr:

Yep.

The words profit and dividend are dirty words for the far left. Completely failing to understand that that is what is needed to build up their pension schemes. I remember losing it at London Bridge with some civil servant striking against changes to his Final Salary pension a few years ago. Didn’t see Corbyn or McDonnell saying anything about changing these incredibly expensive perks. Of course they will both have them themselves...

Which makes it worrying that Long Bailey May stand. She is utterly clueless as shadow business secretary and has no credibility in the corporate world whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep.

The words profit and dividend are dirty words for the far left. Completely failing to understand that that is what is needed to build up their pension schemes. I remember losing it at London Bridge with some civil servant striking against changes to his Final Salary pension a few years ago. Didn’t see Corbyn or McDonnell saying anything about changing these incredibly expensive perks. Of course they will both have them themselves...

Which makes it worrying that Long Bailey May stand. She is utterly clueless as shadow business secretary and has no credibility in the corporate world whatsoever.

No need to worry, a Momentum opposition will never get 326+ Labour MP’s. Relax for 5 years, possibly longer.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have to be honest I do not know much about Lisa Nandy, I will check out some video's and views on things. The reason for me liking Jess Phillips is that she is not a Corbyn fan so will not be tarred with that brush. When ever I have heard her speak she has strong convictions and is intelligent. I don't think she would be easy to bully.

Nandy is intelligent, level-headed and calm. Unlike Phillips, I have never seen her riled even when provoked. She has been on Politics Live loads of times and is always sensible.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yep.

Didn't Long-Bailey believe that tax was based on turnover rather than profit?
IMHO, she is far too left wing to lead the Labour party into recovery mode; indeed, the fact that she is a protege of McDonnell should really rule her out amongst those who want a shift in direction. I suppose it will depend on what shenanigans go on behind the scenes as to who gets put forward. Personally, I should like to hear a lot of noise from all Labourite moderates, regardless of how much influence they may have. Someone has to shake up the delusionists and rattle their cages pretty damn' hard if the party is to sort itself out anytime soon.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The delay in making an appointment is a typical hard left manoeuvre aimed at giving them the time to re-group and re-boot their power base within the party and to organise a leadership coup to ensure their candidate gets the gig. The proof of this will be if the idealogical student of John McDonnell, Rebecca Long-Bailey gets it. And if this happens Labour really will be out in the political wilderness for at least 10 years or until they finally split in two.

The delay in making an appointment is a typical hard left manoeuvre aimed at giving them the time to re-group and re-boot their power base within the party and to organise a leadership coup to ensure their candidate gets the gig. The proof of this will be if the idealogical student of John McDonnell, Rebecca Long-Bailey gets it. And if this happens Labour really will be out in the political wilderness for at least 10 years or until they finally split in two.

What’s a leadership coup. The leader will be the person who gets the most votes, what are you talking about

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It amazes me how people can look back on Blair fondly, and see him as a pillar of the left. I imagine you were probably one of those who believed him on the weapons of mass destruction, or at least you did at the time but now tell everyone you knew it was rubbish all along and actually supported the anti war protests.

I look back on record NHS spending fondly. I look back on record numbers of Police and Nurses fondly. I look back at a decade of economic prosperity fondly. I look back at the Good Friday Agreement and peace in NI fondly. I look back on having a PM which wasn't an international laughing stock (like Boris, May etc)

With Iraq he did what almost any PM of the modern era would also have done.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What’s a leadership coup. The leader will be the person who gets the most votes, what are you talking about

I thought you were brighter than that.......but ok, here goes:

Coup - definition: "An instance of successfully achieving something difficult" .... in this case, the Corbynistas and hard left, having been roundly defeated in the general election now face the difficult challenge of retaining power within the Labour Party and of getting their own left wing candidate elected as leader. Under the circumstances I think, if they achieve that and Long-Bailey gets the gig, that could reasonably be described as a coup, don't you?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Rayner not standing means she will win comfortably

Looks like you're right, Long Bailey odds on now, looks like the Labour hardcord are being persuaded by the Long-Bailey/Burgon dream ticket.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont think the party have officially even launched a leadership election, we already know who the leader will be.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
dont think the party have officially even launched a leadership election, we already know who the leader will be.

Shows how much influence the press has doesn't it. Candidates haven't even launched their bids yet, and the press and bookies know already - allegedly.

In 2015 after Milliband resigned Andy Burnham was the clear favourite at 5/2. Yvette Cooper, Ummuna, Dan Jarvis, Tristram Hunt (ha ha ha), Liz Kendall were then at various odds thereafter.

Let's wait and see what happens. Who put's themselves forward, who backs them, how their campaigns to members shape up.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
It’ll be RLB and AR. I’d be really surprised if anyone else gets a look in. Nandy and Phillips both very unpopular with too many people (as well as many regarding Nandy as incompetent). Some talk about Clive Lewis but he’s a) arch remainer b) male c) has baggage d) flaky

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here