Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is now the time for Lampard to be dropped?

Lennon was again brialliant,

I believe he could be a very key player, in taking the attack and therefore the defence to the opposition and basically ripping the **** out of tired legs.

Prefably Sven bring him on with 20 or more minutes to go.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
We had a lot of the ball which is a good sign as it shows we are in control

True

London Irish said:
Indeed, not having as lot of the ball is generally the reason why England exit tournaments.

and true. These are the reasons why I have felt that we have played better than at any other competition (under Sven). If we can just get the football to flow a bit more we should realise our potential.

Last edited:

Sid James said:
I'm not sure that is true. Our game is not based around a love of possession, surely the pinball style of the premiership proves that. Our recent exits, I believe, have had more to do with defending deeply to protect slender leads than our lack of keep ball skills.

A small point, but I would argue there is a causal link between being forced deeper and not being able to hold on to the ball, the latter brings about the former.

Dandyman

In London village.
London Calling said:
Lennon was again brialliant,

I believe he could be a very key player, in taking the attack and therefore the defence to the opposition and basically ripping the **** out of tired legs.

Prefably Sven bring him on with 20 or more minutes to go.

Spot on. Lennon was excellent and should have been brought on when it was clear Beckham was suffering from heat exhustion.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dandyman said:
Spot on. Lennon was excellent and should have been brought on when it was clear Beckham was suffering from heat exhustion.

The other thing that Lennon adds (and arguably Downing) is the ability to head to the corners of the pitch and allow the play to move up the pitch thus drawing England out of sitting deep. Beckham and Cole tend to drop back to much as the team mentality becomes more defensive.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
London Irish said:
A small point, but I would argue there is a causal link between being forced deeper and not being able to hold on to the ball, the latter brings about the former.

:D And I would argue that our deep lying defence and midfield become so detached from the forward players that there is nothing left to do other than launch a long ball. The opposition pick it up and build again and so on. Also I don't see us forced deep, it's a result of the defensive mindset our Italian manager instils.

I would love England to play a brand of football based on possession but this isn't a switch you can flick. For nine months of every year our players get the ball and try to hurt the opposition as quickly as possible. That is their mindset and to ask them to do anything different for their country would just be plain silly.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sid James said:
:D And I would argue that our deep lying defence and midfield become so detached from the forward players that there is nothing left to do other than launch a long ball. The opposition pick it up and build again and so on. Also I don't see us forced deep, it's a result of the defensive mindset our Italian manager instils.

I would love England to play a brand of football based on possession but this isn't a switch you can flick. For nine months of every year our players get the ball and try to hurt the opposition as quickly as possible. That is their mindset and to ask them to do anything different for their country would just be plain silly.

The first section is a bit obvious but true never the less. Lots of people have been saying the second part but that is easily the best articulation of that point I have seen. Nice one Sidney.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
A mate who goes to see Chelsea reckons Lampard has been crap since Christmas.On the other hand he gets into good shooting positions and i do think one will fly in soon.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Keep Lampard, still Englands best player of the last 12 months if not 2 years.

Carrick for me was not as good in the holding role as Hargreaves was against Sweden, so hopefully Neville will be fit to return

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
blockhseagull said:
Keep Lampard, still Englands best player of the last 12 months if not 2 years.

Carrick for me was not as good in the holding role as Hargreaves was against Sweden, so hopefully Neville will be fit to return

But he hasnt been on form for last 5 games, The idea of a squad is so you can drop players that are not in form.
This idea seems alien to most England managers and is why we fail.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
yes, but who do we replace him with? unless we change the formation i dont see someone who id want to put in the team ahead of him. he just needs a bit of confidence and will start to putthem away

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I would use Hargreaves in the holding role and play Gerrard and Lampard in front of him. If its not working I would bring on Carrick or Lennon depending on who is playing the worst (including Beckham).

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Reading all of the comments on this thread gives the impression that there are many holders of coaching qualifications and badges out there. I didn't realise that there were so many. It's the same in the British Press.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Seems a bit harsh ND, we are fans who like to debate and speculate over our national team.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I get more enjoyment reading your comments on your preferred subject sex. Now when it comes to sex you have few equals and indeed your expertise and qualifications shine through like a beacon.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Lampard looks good at Chelsea as he has Makkele behind him and so has zero defensive duties. For England at times Gerrard has done this, but he does also like to get forward.

Part of the problem from my FIFA acquired seat on Sunday was we were playing a completely different formation to one that we had used up until now and Gerrard and Lampard were getting in each others way. Carrick was OK, but he was not great, seemed to have an element of stage fright.

At this stage in a tournament, I really think we have to use a system that English players are comfortable with and generally that is 4-4-2 or at a push 5-3-2. So it means bringing Crouch back in (pressuming that Walcott is in fact one of those school children that got a free ticket off the Government). If you have Crouch leading the line, it allows Rooney to drop deep and play his natural game and give more of a link with the midfield.

It is obvious that we need a holding midfielder in there, which will be either Carrick or Hargreaves (with Neville back in training, it would look to be Hargreaves) so then it is one of Gerrard or Lampard. On present form and I have to say talent, it will probably be Gerrard, he has 2 goals this tournament and is use to carrying a side, something that Lampard has not had to do at Chelsea.

On another note the wobbles shown by John Terry on Sunday are a bit of a worry.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
I can't remember ever disagreeing with you when it comes to the national team Uncle Buck.

Shame the same can't be said about the Albion. Still :thumbsup:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
nobody's dupe said:
I get more enjoyment reading your comments on your preferred subject sex. Now when it comes to sex you have few equals and indeed your expertise and qualifications shine through like a beacon.

:blush: Why thank you ND.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here