Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is now the time for Lampard to be dropped?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
His current form however is not.

Unfortunately Sven is not bold enough to drop big name underperforming players, you are only as good as your last game, not your reputation.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Repugnant Toad said:
interesting that Carrick easily outshone all of our much-hyped "superstars" in midfield today.

Erm I may have been watching a different game but to say that Michael Carrick outshone the rest of the midfield is a stretch he was no better than Cole or Gerrard or Beckham, no worse, but no better, hopefully big Nev will be fit and we can put Hargreaves back into the holding role.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Redhead said:
Erm I may have been watching a different game but to say that Michael Carrick outshone the rest of the midfield is a stretch he was no better than Cole or Gerrard or Beckham, no worse, but no better, hopefully big Nev will be fit and we can put Hargreaves back into the holding role.

A different game indeed then.

Cole and Beckham were the two worst performers on the pitch, Lampard's ineptitude aside - Beckham will escape criticism because of his free kick, but he's very lucky to be in the side on form at present.

Gerrard and Carrick were the only competent performers in midfield, especially the latter, who set up just about every meaningful chance we had, and gave a perfect demonstration of how to play the holding role.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Has a Spurs player ever had a bad game in an England shirt?
And has a Chelsea player ever played well for England?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Alan Mullery, so bad he was sent off

Graham le Saux must have had at least one good game?

Repugnant Toad said:
Gerrard and Carrick were the only competent performers in midfield, especially the latter, who set up just about every meaningful chance we had, and gave a perfect demonstration of how to play the holding role.

Have to say that is quite a range between "competent" and "perfect" :)

I don't think Carrick's cause is best served by hyperbole - he was quietly effective yesterday much like Hargreaves and I hope Sven sticks with them both.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Have to say that is quite a range between "competent" and "perfect" :)

I don't think Carrick's cause is best served by hyperbole - he was quietly effective yesterday much like Hargreaves and I hope Sven sticks with them both.

Two defensive central midfielders ? Surely not.

Sid James said:
Two defensive central midfielders ? Surely not.

No, I was referring to the position Hargreaves played in yesterday, but he was also useful when brought into midfield later on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
No, I was referring to the position Hargreaves played in yesterday, but he was also useful when brought into midfield later on.

If Neville was fit

Id put Hargreaves in cm with carrick and Gerrard

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
I believe with the lack of forwards that could be the best way.

Which is why Crouch must play against Portugal. Sure we saw a lot of the ball yesterday but we could still be playing and wouldn't have scored. Rooney did really well yesterday and almost created from nothing a couple of times, imagine what he would do if used properly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sid James said:
Which is why Crouch must play against Portugal. Sure we saw a lot of the ball yesterday but we could still be playing and wouldn't have scored. Rooney did really well yesterday and almost created from nothing a couple of times, imagine what he would do if used properly.

We had a lot of the ball which is a good sign as it shows we are in control

Kinky Gerbils said:
We had a lot of the ball which is a good sign as it shows we are in control

Indeed, not having as lot of the ball is generally the reason why England exit tournaments.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
London Irish said:

Thought so, and agree. That said, I would prefer to see Hargreaves back in the holding role. He doesn't have Carricks passing range but is, I feel, a better and more mobile defender.

In answer to the thread question, we have to bring Crouch back in to lighten the load on Rooney so it's him or Gerrard. It's not the end of the world, he can come on as a sub !!

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
He has been very poor this world cup, but he is getting into positions to shoot, has had the most shots this world cup out of the whole England team. Clearly he should have scored more than one but i do feel if Sven sticks with him he will come good at some point.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Indeed, not having as lot of the ball is generally the reason why England exit tournaments.

I'm not sure that is true. Our game is not based around a love of possession, surely the pinball style of the premiership proves that. Our recent exits, I believe, have had more to do with defending deeply to protect slender leads than our lack of keep ball skills.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
If Neville was fit

Id put Hargreaves in cm with carrick and Gerrard

Kinky I love you but you are such a Spurs supporter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here