Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is now the time for Lampard to be dropped?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
brightonfan_86 said:
I'm sure he'll look at his own indidvidual performance and say I must improve in the Quarter Finals. I think we might see a different Frank Lampard against Holland or Portugal. IMO.

Could he not have done that after any of the previous three games, given he's been utter, stinking gash in every one?

On performances, he merits no place. Too much of the England side is picked on reputation; interesting that Carrick easily outshone all of our much-hyped "superstars" in midfield today.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
no, now were getting to the later stages and against better opposition he is essential.

He is saving the goals for the really big games.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The nature of tournaments is that you only get so long to make your mark. Lampard's had four games, and if he starts against Portugal he will be a very lucky man and owe everyone big-time, not least Sven.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
DJ Leon said:
Did Gerrard play weel today? I didn't think so. Lampard isn't the only one not firing. There was so much low quality football from us today, it's hard to believe we have some of the world's best players.

Only just opened this thread and that was pretty much what I was about to say. Gerrard looked worse than Lampard today. It is odd we are keeping possession better but some of players are not firing on all cylinders.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some contributory factors into Sven's thinking:

1. Gary Neville's injury is likely to reduce Lennon's chances of starting.

2. Carrick's performance tonight makes him hard to omit vs Portugal.

3. Rooney will be even more potent with another player like Crouch alongside him.

On balance I'd drop Lampard, play Crouch in a 4-4-2 and try and give Rooney as much of the ball as possible.

If I had to lay money on any England player scoring it would still be Fat Frankie, even after all his misses and his one today too.

I think Sven has to stick with the team he played today, Lennon I like but he can only realistically play in Beckham's position and I don't think you can drop the skipper or move him into a central role where he has nearly always misfired. Sven has to hold his nerve with this team, they are probably not world-beaters (top 4 at best, top 8 more realistically) but it's the best England have.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Could he not have done that after any of the previous three games, given he's been utter, stinking gash in every one?

On performances, he merits no place. Too much of the England side is picked on reputation; interesting that Carrick easily outshone all of our much-hyped "superstars" in midfield today.

Exactly. Lampard could cost us the game against a better side with his woeful finishing and passing. This is his fourth straight match where he has underperformed, surely that's an indication that change is necessary!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is the same Lampard that finished last season as one of the top scorers in the Premiership isnt it?

What is the saying 'form is temporary class is permanent' and he has the class although his form is not the greatest at the moment it will come back, hopefully with a vengeance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BensGrandad said:
This is the same Lampard that finished last season as one of the top scorers in the Premiership isnt it?

What is the saying 'form is temporary class is permanent' and he has the class although his form is not the greatest at the moment it will come back, hopefully with a vengeance.

Just because he is a top scorer for club doesnt mean he can do it for England - Kevin Phillips is another example.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BensGrandad said:

But as someone aluded to earlier, this is not the Premiership - you only have seven games to get it right at most; we're four games into that, and Lampard still isn't performing. The games are only going to get harder, and I don't see how he can be given any more time ... we can't afford to carry passengers.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This all reminds me of Scholes - He was clearly not up to playing for England any more yet got into the side every game just because he was Scholes.

We will never win anything with a team selection like that.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Pavilionaire said:
Some contributory factors into Sven's thinking:

1. Gary Neville's injury is likely to reduce Lennon's chances of starting.

2. Carrick's performance tonight makes him hard to omit vs Portugal.

3. Rooney will be even more potent with another player like Crouch alongside him.

On balance I'd drop Lampard, play Crouch in a 4-4-2 and try and give Rooney as much of the ball as possible.

Exactly what I'd do. Rooney on his own up front dosen't work very well as although Carrick was holding Lampard and Gerrard were not breaking quickly enough to help him. Also, Rooney is better running from deep meaning we weren't playing high enough up the pitch. We were also using him as a target man which is what Crouch is there for, not one of the best players in the World with the ball at his feet.

Its no coincidence that the best football we played was when Lampard and Gerrard weren't playing together. (Sweden first half). We played a 4-1-3-2 but will Sven swallow the medicine and do this again? I doubt it as this means he has no forward options on the bench and would not want to expose Walcott. It would also mean dropping one of the 'undroppables' which we know after 5 years is something Sven never does.

We've been talking about this Gerrard / Lampard pairing for years and if there is one thing this cup has proved to me is that they don't play well together, have never clicked and one or other should start on the bench. On form it has to be Lampard.

Come on Sven, earn your money against Portugal - I fear Scolari V Sven is like one playing Chess the other playing Draughts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hannibal smith said:

Come on Sven, earn your money against Portugal - I fear Scolari V Sven is like one playing Chess the other playing Draughts.

Let's just hope it's a draughts game and not a chess game then and Scolari tries to play chess, it's our only hope :jester:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Just because he is a top scorer for club doesnt mean he can do it for England - Kevin Phillips is another example.

Look at his goals per game ratio for england....its awesome

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
if we continue with 1 up front Lampard, Cole and Gerrard are a good bet to score- you have to cover the ground to get the opportunities and those 3 do. I would not drop Lampard, he will score against Portugal, honest

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Robinson
Carragher
Terry
Rio
A.Cole
Beckham
Gerrard
Carrick
Cole
Rooney
Crouch

looks good to me...

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I'm amazed that people are seriously thinking about dropping lampard - jesus you might as well ask the germans to drop ballack as he's missed stacks of chances as well. The fact is that lampards shooting has stunk but theres no way it will get any worse and at least his getting into the box - on another week he would've scored quite a few by this time in the tournament - keep the faith.
It's hard to justify attacking him when theres so many other soft targets. Beckham's the one player I would want to see dropped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here