Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

Votes: 96 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 45.5%
  • I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 30 8.7%
  • I already have one

Votes: 49 14.2%

• Total voters

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Which one? I'm possibly in the market but a Kia EV9 is just a bit too much, and the VW iD Buzz isn't available yet.
It's the Mercedes eqb. As a high rate tax payer it takes it down from c850 to c500 though the work salary sacrifice scheme. It's the 1st car since my Vauxhall cavalier in the early 90s that I can honestly say I love (who says EVs don't have personality?)

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It's the Mercedes eqb. As a high rate tax payer it takes it down from c850 to c500 though the work salary sacrifice scheme. It's the 1st car since my Vauxhall cavalier in the early 90s that I can honestly say I love (who says EVs don't have personality?)
:thumbsup: Gotcha. I had a look at one and agree they look good but sadly a bit small for our needs. Thinking of buying a used LR Discovery instead and crossing my fingers against BORK.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Really like a E-Transit next, but Gen 2 is on way with double range circa 200 miles in the cold, so will wait it out..
18-24m old Gen 1 E-Transits can be had for half retail new (£54k).. that a depreciation i can't live with..!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Are there ANY sexy looking EVs?

Most seem to be pig ugly and impossible to tell apart without checking out the badge.

ICE SUV’s aren’t much better. Breeze blocks

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Insurance is included in PCP and Lease deals? I didn’t know that

It obviously works for some as so many lease or PCP cars but the thought of owning nothing when you stop paying, or having to pay a big deposit and final payment still stops me from even considering it. If I can’t afford something I buy what I can afford today :shrug:

I guess I get leasing an EV because you can give it back if the battery goes and is not covered, the cost of battery replacement seems higher than buying a half decent ICE car so an outright purchase sounds scary once the warranty expires.

Old man syndrome :lolol:
Im not sure about insurance being included in general PCP deals, it wasnt when I bought my diesel VW via PCP, but my works EV scheme, which is more like contract hire, it includes absolutely everything.

New EV car, EV charger provided, insurance, taxes, servicing, tyres, breakdown.

Literally everything, so whatever happens it will never cost you more than the monthy plus electricity to charge it.

I get the "but i dont own anything", but by comparsion over a 3 year period, your car has devalued by X thousands of pounds, plus all the running costs which will amount to a couple of hundred plus per month...... add the devaluation and the running costs up over 36 months and you probably wont be that far off the brand new EV??

Then the logic of having a brand new, risk free vehicle is simpler, also if someone with young family was earning say 60-65kpa and their partner nothing, they wouldnt be eligible for Child allowance, get the EV which comes out of gross pay and you're now eligible for child allowance!

Im still not convinced by electric yet, even though Ive not had one, but the financial arguments will stack up for some people.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Are there ANY sexy looking EVs?

Most seem to be pig ugly and impossible to tell apart without checking out the badge.

ICE SUV’s aren’t much better. Breeze blocks
You wouldn’t kick it out of bed

1728502711731.jpeg

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I currently have an iPace which is absolutely awesome and aside from the small fact my insurance went up by a factor of five last year it is incredible. After four years I'll hand it back, and for the first time in a while I am confident I'll have absolutely no equity in the car. Resale values of electric cars are appalling, although I'm not sure why that is. I haven't looked into it but I'm assuming a large amount is fear. This car has been solid, and I've had more issues with every ICE car I've owned. Range isn't brilliant, and I've only needed to charge it whilst on the road a single time in two years - but it was basically the same price as premium fuel - so using motorway charging stations is a joke. Fast, but ridiculously overpriced.

Next car will probably be another EV, but I'll definitely try and get one through the company scheme as the price is insanely low compared to alternatives.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Insurance is included in PCP and Lease deals? I didn’t know that

It obviously works for some as so many lease or PCP cars but the thought of owning nothing when you stop paying, or having to pay a big deposit and final payment still stops me from even considering it. If I can’t afford something I buy what I can afford today :shrug:

I guess I get leasing an EV because you can give it back if the battery goes and is not covered, the cost of battery replacement seems higher than buying a half decent ICE car so an outright purchase sounds scary once the warranty expires.

Old man syndrome :lolol:

You’re not so old.

With all the personal and company lease deals I’ve seen, also PCP, which would be countless numbers with clients, insurance was arranged entirely separately by the individual or company.

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Keep believing what you read on internet and live in your parallel universe to not face reality and what the truth actually is. We all have that choice, but the more balanced and sensitive people will look at all the facts out there, not just one article on google to make a judgement. Bye bye
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Somewhat remarkably, over 96% of new car registrations in Norway in September were EVs, and they now have more EVs on the road than ICE cars.

They don't seem to worry about range in colder conditions.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Somewhat remarkably, over 96% of new car registrations in Norway in September were EVs, and they now have more EVs on the road than ICE cars.

They don't seem to worry about range in colder conditions.
Effective government is what made this happen.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just got back from a 600 mile round trip in my e208, travelling from Truro to Worthing with a few side-trips. No problem at all. We made a point of visiting more chargers than strictly necessary, just to check out the current infrastructure. Compared to our first long trip 30 months ago, it’s vastly better - far more chargers, faster speeds, more accessible, more reliable, and easier to pay without special apps or cards. That said, we used our Electroverse card a couple of time to put it on our Octopus household bill, with discount. Happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here