Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

Votes: 96 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 45.5%
  • I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 30 8.7%
  • I already have one

Votes: 49 14.2%

• Total voters

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Lmao no.

No drivers license so I've never had a car, but if I'd get one it would be some sort of 70s or 80s relic. Maybe a Yugo or Opel Kadett or some old Volvo.

theboybilly

Aren't a lot of manufacturers (Volvo is definitely one) pulling back on developing new EVs?

Personally I think hydrogen is the way to go because on-street charging will end up being an issue if nothing else. I just wish they'd do more research before coming out with stupid assumptions that everybody will be electric by the early 2030s

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
A secondary question. Once EVs are the go to car, which they will be, what does that do to currently desirable ICE car future values?

Do they become even more desirable or do they fall off a cliff value wise? I guess a lot of it will depend on how awkward Government makes it to own them. I think they will bring in draconian measures personally. Fuel and tax prices and then more petrol stations going all electric is a worry too, if you want to drive an ICE car, even as a weekend toy.

I will be running with ICE cars for as long as I can, although a hybrid or full EV for short daily trips may be forced on me in a decade or so, unless they put an age limit on driving, which I can also see being introduced :down:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Aren't a lot of manufacturers (Volvo is definitely one) pulling back on developing new EVs?

Personally I think hydrogen is the way to go because on-street charging will end up being an issue if nothing else. I just wish they'd do more research before coming out with stupid assumptions that everybody will be electric by the early 2030s
Is it? Given it has launched EX30 and EX90 this year and is well on the way to replacing the rest of the range with 'EX' models I would seriously doubt it.

And, given the amount of EVs that are due in 2025 and beyond (plus anything else that is coming down the line - Paris Show next week will probably have some more debuts) I seriously doubt any of the OEMs are going to go back to ICE (or to Hydrogen) anytime soon...

And not everyone WILL be 'electric by the early 2030s'. No-one has said they will be. I'm still not convinced the ICE ban won't move again, but that's just new sales...

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A secondary question. Once EVs are the go to car, which they will be, what does that do to currently desirable ICE car future values?

Do they become even more desirable or do they fall off a cliff value wise? I guess a lot of it will depend on how awkward Government makes it to own them. I think they will bring in draconian measures personally. Fuel and tax prices and then more petrol stations going all electric is a worry too, if you want to drive an ICE car, even as a weekend toy.

I will be running with ICE cars for as long as I can, although a hybrid or full EV for short daily trips may be forced on me in a decade or so, unless they put an age limit on driving, which I can also see being introduced :down:
Modern classics will probably go up in value. Difficult to say what happens to the generic ICE stuff - the used market is volatile at the best of times let alone when it goes through the biggest seismic shift the industry has ever seen (since the move from horse and cart!).

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I'm spending a week with this bad boy at the moment and it's a right laugh - which is surely the point of everything, especially driving. Fake exhaust sounds are actually pretty realistic (and hilarious) and loads of power, although Eco mode calms everything down a lot. The £65k price will put a lot of people off but, performance-wise, it's on par with a load of ICE stuff at our above that price.

I was also at a Nissan gig this week where Vehicle to Grid technology was being unveiled. No, it's not for everyone (and the anti-EV crew will no doubt dismiss it - possibly just at the very mention of it!), but it's another step on a very long path. The guys there also talked about its solid state batteries (coming in 2028) and pretty much dismissed any hydrogen cars for the foreseeable).

Anyway, as you were...
View attachment 190202
Love the colour!

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Firstly, apologies for the essay. Do skip if you CBA. My thoughts as follows:

I honestly think you’re not going to see a lot of difference, at petrol stations round our way I’ve noticed that one or two electric vehicle chargers have been put in at one side. At the moment there’s a lot more combustion engine vehicles than electric, but the ratio is eventually going to tip, because the brutal truth is it has to.

Ten to fifteen years from now, I reckon you’ll see a mixture of pumps and EV chargers on garage forecourts, and we’ll be in a position where new vehicles will be EV, because emissions laws will prohibit or at least make incredibly expensive the sale of vehicles that pump shit into the atmosphere.

Personally, I don’t mind. If there’s a way of moving myself and my family around that doesn’t involve negatively affecting those around me’s air quality then sign me up. Equally I’m not going to negatively judge someone driving a regular combustion engine vehicle.

However, there’ll come a point at which it will be seen as socially unacceptable in city centres outside of classic car events. In the same way that people no longer spark up inside hospitals, it will just be seen to be inherently “a bad thing.”

There are kids growing up now who will have seen Tesla’s from the day they were born, and if you show them a combustion engine vehicle and try to tell them they’re better (whether because they go vroom or not) they’ll wrinkle their nose at the smell, and wonder why you have to pour gallons of heavily flammable liquid into them, which has to be imported from the Middle East, to be burned to make the car go.

They’ll point out that their electric car can be powered directly from any available source of electricity from three pin plug upward, and that there’s no need for all the faff.

There’ll still be classic cars out there, but the supply and storage of petrol will become problematic as demand tails off, just as the supply of coal has begun to prove problematic for heritage railways, and they’re having to look at technology that will enable them to use alternatives.

There’ll still be combustion engine vehicles on the road for decades yet, but once solid state batteries are here and recharging is a ten minute job, then by the time you’ve popped into the garage, bought a Red Bull and a Twix, you’re pretty much ready to go.

If you’re driving an Aston Martin or a Jaguar F-Type around it will retain some value as a classic, but it will eventually become a hobby for the ultra-rich, due to the need to maintain stocks of not just petrol/diesel, but engine oils, lubricants, coolants, things that most garages will no longer stock. A lot will get converted to run on electric, there’s companies out there now who do that for a living and there are some beautiful old cars that have had this work done. (at the customer’s request I hasten to add)

I have mixed feelings about this, I suspect you wouldn’t be a fan.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

I honestly think you’re not going to see a lot of difference, at petrol stations round our way I’ve noticed that one or two electric vehicle chargers have been put in at one side. At the moment there’s a lot more combustion engine vehicles than electric, but the ratio is eventually going to tip, because the brutal truth is it has to.

Ten to fifteen years from now, I reckon you’ll see a mixture of pumps and EV chargers on garage forecourts, and we’ll be in a position where new vehicles will be EV, because emissions laws will prohibit or at least make incredibly expensive the sale of vehicles that pump shit into the atmosphere.

Personally, I don’t mind. If there’s a way of moving myself and my family around that doesn’t involve negatively affecting those around me’s air quality then sign me up. Equally I’m not going to negatively judge someone driving a regular combustion engine vehicle.

However, there’ll come a point at which it will be seen as socially unacceptable in city centres outside of classic car events. In the same way that people no longer spark up inside hospitals, it will just be seen to be inherently “a bad thing.”

There are kids growing up now who will have seen Tesla’s from the day they were born, and if you show them a combustion engine vehicle and try to tell them they’re better (whether because they go vroom or not) they’ll wrinkle their nose at the smell, and wonder why you have to pour gallons of heavily flammable liquid into them, which has to be imported from the Middle East, to be burned to make the car go.

They’ll point out that their electric car can be powered directly from any available source of electricity from three pin plug upward, and that there’s no need for all the faff.

There’ll still be classic cars out there, but the supply and storage of petrol will become problematic as demand tails off, just as the supply of coal has begun to prove problematic for heritage railways, and they’re having to look at technology that will enable them to use alternatives.

There’ll still be combustion engine vehicles on the road for decades yet, but once solid state batteries are here and recharging is a ten minute job, then by the time you’ve popped into the garage, bought a Red Bull and a Twix, you’re pretty much ready to go.

If you’re driving an Aston Martin or a Jaguar F-Type around it will retain some value as a classic, but it will eventually become a hobby for the ultra-rich, due to the need to maintain stocks of not just petrol/diesel, but engine oils, lubricants, coolants, things that most garages will no longer stock. A lot will get converted to run on electric, there’s companies out there now who do that for a living and there are some beautiful old cars that have had this work done. (at the customer’s request I hasten to add)

I am not a fan but totally accept what you say will happen. Like modern music I am not the target audience so nobody other than me gives a shit what I think.

Not convinced that classic cars will go down the same route of disapproval as fur coats and smoking in busy areas though

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Is it? Give it has launched EX30 and EX90 this year and is well on the way to replacing the rest of the range with 'EX' models I would seriously doubt it.

And, given the amount of EVs that are due in 2025 and beyond (plus anything else that is coming down the line - Paris Show next week will probably have some more debuts) I seriously doubt any of the OEMs are going to go back to ICE (or to Hydrogen) anytime soon...

And not everyone WILL be 'electric by the early 2030s'. No-one has said they will be. I'm still not convinced the ICE ban won't move again, but that's just new sales...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I took my test quite late in life, 29 I think, and owned and drove a car for 2 years. That was enough. I really do not like it, I’m not a “natural” driver and find it mentally tiring. I’m not making any anti-car statement it’s just something I do not enjoy.
Things have changed now. They don't need to be hand cranked to start them nowadays.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I used to always so 'no. Battery range is crap'. But now, with battery ranges of 300+ miles, that's plenty for my day to day driving, and I expect for the vast majority of motorists. How often do most people drive 300 miles for most journeys?

I'm lucky enough to have a private driveway, so putting in a charging point is no issue. If I had to park on street, I wouldn't consider an EV.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

If and when electric vehicles become as cheap and as convenient as petrol, then I expect this will be true. Until that day, it won't. The technology still has a fair way to go. I for one have no objections in principle to electric vehicles, as I suspect most people don't - it's the practicalities that are wrong at the moment.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If and when electric vehicles become as cheap and as convenient as petrol, then I expect this will be true. Until that day, it won't. The technology still has a fair way to go. I for one have no objections in principle to electric vehicles, as I suspect most people don't - it's the practicalities that are wrong at the moment.

I’d say they’re already there. Even Autocar thinks so.

And with MG offering solid state batteries from next year on, the technology only improves from here.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I am not a fan but totally accept what you say will happen. Like modern music I am not the target audience so nobody other than me gives a shit what I think.

Not convinced that classic cars will go down the same route of disapproval as fur coats and smoking in busy areas though

They won’t entirely, but I think there’ll eventually be some kind of “license to pollute” required to hold an event where lots of them gather. I’ve never known a local authority miss the opportunity for a quick shakedown.

They’ll hold people’s interest in the same way steam railways do. People will either “get it” or won’t, and those that don’t will assume it’s for old codgers like you and me.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I used to always so 'no. Battery range is crap'. But now, with battery ranges of 300+ miles, that's plenty for my day to day driving, and I expect for the vast majority of motorists. How often do most people drive 300 miles for most journeys?

I'm lucky enough to have a private driveway, so putting in a charging point is no issue. If I had to park on street, I wouldn't consider an EV.
Most people rarely drive more than 300 miles in a day. If it’s needed just hire a car and put the big miles on someone else’s motor

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Most people rarely drive more than 300 miles in a day. If it’s needed just hire a car and put the big miles on someone else’s motor
I enjoy a long continental journey more than anything I’ll do in the UK, I am NOT hiring a car when I have one that is perfect for this kind of drive! But I do get your point, just not for me thanks.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I’d say they’re already there. Even Autocar thinks so.

And with MG offering solid state batteries from next year on, the technology only improves from here.

Electric cars as cheap as petrol? Like I said, my running costs incuding depreciation are about £2500 per year. Could I buy and run a second hand electric vehicle for that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here