Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

Votes: 96 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 45.5%
  • I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 30 8.7%
  • I already have one

Votes: 49 14.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I sneer when I see anyone walking along with any sort of coffee cup :smile:

Make and drink your coffee before you leave home or when you get where you’re going.

NOBODY is that busy that they have to drink it on the go, just get up 10 mins earlier
Busy? They're not busy - they have all the time in the world - they're waiting for their bloody EV to charge.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Busy? They're not busy - they have all the time in the world - they're waiting for their bloody EV to charge.
Or @chickens out with ear muffs spotting polluting noisy ICE vehicles and staring angrily at the sad pathetic people driving them :wink:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Or @chickens out with ear muffs spotting polluting noisy ICE vehicles and staring angrily at the sad pathetic people driving them :wink:

I’m sorry that I’m living rent-free in your head.

It must have been utterly galling to you, given your fixed agenda, that there are more people in the yes/already own one camp, than in the no camp.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I’m sorry that I’m living rent-free in your head.

It must have been utterly galling to you, given your fixed agenda, that there are more people in the yes/already own one camp, than in the no camp.
What agenda? I don’t want an EV but have found this thread interesting. I actually expected the Yes/got ones to run away with it. Sorry to disappoint :wink:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I do find it fascinating that we seem to have already gone past the tipping point, with the “yes/already have one” vote marginally ahead of the “no” vote.

The only word of warning I’d give re: electric is probably better to lease/PCP than buy outright, unless going for older sub-£10k cars.

This is because battery technology is making leaps and bounds atm, MG have already said they’ll have a solid state battery available by the end of 2025, with Mercedes and others claiming they’ll have solid state batteries in place by 2030.

Once models with these faster charging, higher range batteries are out there, existing models will be perceived as less desirable, with solid state charging taking 10 minutes 10% to 80%, as opposed to existing batteries 30 minutes for the same charge level.
I’ve leased simply as it’s affordable (Salary sacrifice)and also accepting I’m taking a plunge that I could walk away in 6 months if it wasn’t for me.

I normally charge when it drops to 60% as my charger runs at 7kwh with the car battery being 85KW meaning I get 35% charge in the 5 hour overnight window. Haven’t need the charge network yet but quoted 30 mins from 20% to 80%, and like you say will get better year on year l.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
As a Ev design engineer for the past 12 years these are my thoughts for what it’s worth:-

1) I would never buy a full Ev because
Lack of charging point infer structure in Uk & charge time is very vague. When u buy there are normally different in car chargers 3, 11, 22Kws options and they are extra cost depending what you need ie more kw, more costly, quicker charging.
Ev range mile indicated is very difficult to trust as it is similar to the old ICE miles per gallon tests which are never done in real world conditions ie temperature, driving style, traffic conditions.
They are expensive to buy compared to ICE cars (The cheaper ones like MG which is China, I am not sure how they sell them for the price in UK!!!!
Battery life has not really changed and I would say 5-7 yrs b4 replacing. This is a major expense that rarely gets mentioned. A lot of Batteries are leased separate.
The carbon footprint to manufacture an Ev is not as good as u would think. There are a lot of exotic metals in the electrical components that have limited supply from only a handful of countries. Also, a lot are imported from the far east and Asia..
A lot of Ev rely on software via Wi-Fi updates and this leaves them open to outside corruption and possible control.

the only Ev I would consider is a hybrid with a full petrol engine to charge the battery. It’s not as green, but is a compromise for people living and working in the real world who don’t want to get stuck on a motorway in winter with their family in the back and run out of charge.
As someone who claims to be an EV designer it seems you know very little about EVs and batteries. There is so much wrong in all you say that I find it hard to believe you have any knowledge in this area at all.

Perhaps you need to read this

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I lease. Previously had a car on a pcp scheme and was paying 700 a month for payment, servicing, mot, insurance (it was a 7 seater)

Now have a 7 seater ev and all in after salary sacrifice it's 500 a month. In terms of cost to run, I've worked out that across the 12k miles I did last year I could get 400 miles on £19 of home charge (or £65 is using a motorway charger). Equivalent of diesel would have been c80 in my old peugeot 5008.

Only twice have I had an additional otherwise unwanted stop to charge and on both occasions because I overrode the sat nav suggesting a charging break encounter because I thought I knew better and so went to a slower charging point.

BBJ

Aug 9, 2023
As someone who claims to be an EV designer it seems you know very little about EVs and batteries. There is so much wrong in all you say that I find it hard to believe you have any knowledge in this area at all.

Keep believing what you read on internet and live in your parallel universe to not face reality and what the truth actually is. We all have that choice, but the more balanced and sensitive people will look at all the facts out there, not just one article on google to make a judgement. Bye bye

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it's a shame they have to rebut many myth with alternative myths, half truths and lies, alongside lots to straw man arguments (who ever said EV are more difficult to drive?)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But you'd surely agree the best way to get EV take up is to make them much more cheap and convenient than they are now, rather than brow beating people on tight budgets or schedules?
Almost certainly - I had this very conversation with a guy from Polestar the other day. The car manufacturers went with volume (C-segment SUVs) and lucid luxury first, to demonstrate the technology - and now they are going ivy different areas. There's clearly a need for EVs with smaller batteries (and therefore lower ranges), less power and smaller overall size - for all sorts of drivers.

It will come - in fact, there's loads on the way. This month alone I've driven Maserati and Polestar EVs, new Kia EV6 and I will be driving an Omoda, MG Cyberstar and Hyundai Ioniq 5N in the next few weeks. And that's just a fraction of the events going on!

The market will be flooded with EVs - let's hope people will buy them :lolol: For those who can't/won't, I do get it - they are not for everyone and the industry is still maturing. But what I will call out is the bullshit that people spout that some anti-EV berk has been shouting about down the pub or online. Some people are properly clueless any the cars and the EV world as a whole!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure.

We have a car scheme at work and I'm thinking about leasing a Cupra Born. Something like 362mi range and it's £349 a month all in after tax benefits, including insurance and servicing. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Very tempting as all I really need is to make sure I have 200mi range for Brighton games without needing to faff around with charging at a public charge point on the way back. Even on a very cold day the 362mi range should be enough to not get range anxiety I think?

Basically any financial decision like that is on hold until after we remortgage at the end of next year, but I'm not actually against them anymore. I was at first many years ago when their range was more like 160/180miles.
You'll be fine in a Born - or any VW Group product. Less so in a Peugeot/Citröen :eek:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
But that's my point. I popped up to Holmbush earlier and saw a BP Pulse sign. I followed it around and there's a bank of 50kW chargers in the M&S car park. Pop to the shops/cafe and potentially charge your car for the week. A charger outside your house would be great but it's not essential.

Like I said before, how many drivers have a fuel station outside their front door?

At those rates I would rather not

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
1. How often do you drive more than 200 miles in one sitting?
2. Maybe. But still better than an ICE
3. I am yet to meet anyone who has got to the end of the battery life on their electric car
4. Grow up FFS 🤣

You might as well have just said “I’m an old man who doesn’t like change”.
How often I drive more than 200 miles is entirely irrelevant. With a petrol or diesel vehicle I can if I need to. And incidentally just speaking yesterday to someone who has just bought a Tesla. Problems, problems, problems.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

At those rates I would rather not
I was looking at that last night, before I went to bed.

The differential between home charging and public charging is a huge deterrent for those who aren't able to charge at home.

In some cases, the magnitude of difference is equivalent to having to pay £15 for a litre of petrol.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
NSC / the human race in a nutshell.

"I wouldn't get one because there aren't enough chargers".

"There are plenty of chargers and the app shows you exactly where they are and even if they are currently in use".

"I'd have to drive in the hope of finding one nearby and hope someone else was not using it".

People just hear what they want to hear.
What an arrogant prat you are, leaving out all the other parts of the argument to suit your viewpoint. As you so rightly say people just hear what they want to hear.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The lithium is recycled into new batteries.
It's difficult to find out how much of a car battery is recycled

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here