Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

Votes: 96 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 45.5%
  • I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 30 8.7%
  • I already have one

Votes: 49 14.2%

• Total voters

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Poll on Yes/No, already got one neck and neck at 103 currently

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A bit final spin on a washing machine on the way out noise as it hard accelerates though :lolol:
Electric cars with fake noises because everyone hates engine noise :unsure:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Except the hard of hearing
The hard of hearing who don’t look before crossing the road will be dead via pedal bikes, e-bikes, e-scooters and electric motorcycles long before an electric car gets to them. And yes, they’ve put in fake noises for those who need their cars to make vroom vroom sounds to feel suitably masculine. The fragile little dears.

Edit: although not too noisy: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal/2024-10/new-noise-cameras-in-successful-first-trial/

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Honestly I’m fine, I’m just not getting this idea that people love listening to car exhausts.

I’ve never noticed the enthusiasts gathered round Kwik Fit, swapping tapes, etc.

Although I’ve heard a rumour that if you drive a Mk II Cortina round a Sainsbury’s car park at exactly 20mph for 2 hours, then start playing the recording back as the lion roars at the start of the film, the exhaust note fits perfectly to “The Wizard of Oz”
Amazon product

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Simple question, assuming you could fund it easily and that it would be your only car

How much behind going EV and allegedly saving the planet is NSC?
interestingly or not! My company has just launched an EV lease scheme through a company called Tusker, weighing up pros and cons, its basically a new car that includes absolutely everything, Car, EV charger, all insurance, tax, servicing, tyres, breakdown. Only cost is monthly fee and electricity.

Its also a salaray sacrifice scheme, so cost is taken from gross pay before taxes, they show you the approximate Net cost to you, can get a Tesla Model 3 for just under £500 pm based on 10k miles, other more modest cars like Peugeot, Vauxhall, Kia EV SUV type cars, lower/base models from around £350pm.

I dont need a car really, got a diesel, though it may benefit the other half more who only drives local to us in East Midlands. I'm up and down motorway to London/Sussex pretty regularly and still not sure I fancy having to charge car and wait, for a round trip.

#Deliberating

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
interestingly or not! My company has just launched an EV lease scheme through a company called Tusker, weighing up pros and cons, its basically a new car that includes absolutely everything, Car, EV charger, all insurance, tax, servicing, tyres, breakdown. Only cost is monthly fee and electricity.

Its also a salaray sacrifice scheme, so cost is taken from gross pay before taxes, they show you the approximate Net cost to you, can get a Tesla Model 3 for just under £500 pm based on 10k miles, other more modest cars like Peugeot, Vauxhall, Kia EV SUV type cars, lower/base models from around £350pm.

I dont need a car really, got a diesel, though it may benefit the other half more who only drives local to us in East Midlands. I'm up and down motorway to London/Sussex pretty regularly and still not sure I fancy having to charge car and wait, for a round trip.

#Deliberating
You don’t need a car but you are contemplating spending £350 to £500 a month for a number of years to end up owning nothing? Sorry I can’t get my head around that :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How often I drive more than 200 miles is entirely irrelevant. With a petrol or diesel vehicle I can if I need to. And incidentally just speaking yesterday to someone who has just bought a Tesla. Problems, problems, problems.
That's a Tesla issue, not necessarily an EV issue...

Oh - and you can drive 200 miles in most EVs these days, too. If you need to, of course.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You don’t need a car but you are contemplating spending £350 to £500 a month for a number of years to end up owning nothing? Sorry I can’t get my head around that :shrug:
We have 2 cars in family.

Im not contemplating selling mine, and wether you own your depreciating car or dont it still costs £X per month to run it, my wifes is older (2009) and right now paying monthly for insurance, tax, petrol, servicing, tyres, breakdown ins etc for her car, all of which would be included in the EV scheme and costs we'd lose, their are dual benefits for some, first benefit that would apply for all is obvious..... paying £350 pm is the only cost you'd have except electrictity to charge car, you'd always have a brand new to 3 year old car, and you'd be liable for absolutely no extra costs as everything included, one payment, nothing else ever to pay, which gives peace of mind. 2nd which would only be relevant for for some, is it can bring total annual earnings down as a pre tax benefit, which may or may not have tax band band/personal allowance/child allowance benefits.

But still undecided right now.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How often I drive more than 200 miles is entirely irrelevant. With a petrol or diesel vehicle I can if I need to. And incidentally just speaking yesterday to someone who has just bought a Tesla. Problems, problems, problems.
So basically the last sentence in my post was 100% correct then.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What an arrogant prat you are, leaving out all the other parts of the argument to suit your viewpoint. As you so rightly say people just hear what they want to hear.
It was a little joke as you stated a problem that had literally just been shown to be incorrect a couple of posts earlier.

I like 'arrogant prat' though, I'm keeping that.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We have 2 cars in family.

Im not contemplating selling mine, and wether you own your depreciating car or dont it still costs £X per month to run it, my wifes is older (2009) and right now paying monthly for insurance, tax, petrol, servicing, tyres, breakdown ins etc for her car, all of which would be included in the EV scheme and costs we'd lose, their are dual benefits for some, first benefit that would apply for all is obvious..... paying £350 pm is the only cost you'd have except electrictity to charge car, you'd always have a brand new to 3 year old car, and you'd be liable for absolutely no extra costs as everything included, one payment, nothing else ever to pay, which gives peace of mind. 2nd which would only be relevant for for some, is it can bring total annual earnings down as a pre tax benefit, which may or may not have tax band band/personal allowance/child allowance benefits.

But still undecided right now.
Insurance is included in PCP and Lease deals? I didn’t know that

It obviously works for some as so many lease or PCP cars but the thought of owning nothing when you stop paying, or having to pay a big deposit and final payment still stops me from even considering it. If I can’t afford something I buy what I can afford today :shrug:

I guess I get leasing an EV because you can give it back if the battery goes and is not covered, the cost of battery replacement seems higher than buying a half decent ICE car so an outright purchase sounds scary once the warranty expires.

Old man syndrome :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here